$20 attic rack build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
this weekend i set out to build an attic rack that would-
1- still allow room for my 2 large dogs to fit in the back w/ head space
2- not block the ceiling vents for them
3- store small items, shoes, bike pump, towels, etc. (nothing too heavy)
4- use items i already had

I ended up using a wire shelf i had laying around (same as a few others recommend from home depot). It's 12" deep, and end to end is 52", which is exactly the measurement of grab handle bolt to bolt across the LC (mine is an 04). If you don't have the shelf, they're $14 at HD. I removed the grab handles from both sides (to get a few more inches height for the dogs)-
The only other thing you'll need is longer bolts- they are M6 with a 1.0 pitch. I used 1 3/4" long bolts i had from ace hardware, along with 2 large washers for each bolt to sandwich the shelf. I added a rubber washer on the top to protect the interior trim, but it's not needed.
I turned the shelf upside down to use the lip as a back stop for items, and cut about 4-5" (5 sections) off of each side of the lip to allow it to fit up into the ceiling space.
Bolted all together- the result is about 6" of shelf space height, shelf flush with top of side windows, full air flow, and no rattles. All in cost me nothing, but total cost would have been just under $5 for the bolts and washers and $15 for the shelf. It wouldn't hold a ton of weight in the center without more support, but plenty enough for my needs and closer to the sides are extremely solid. i threw up a few mini-bungees to secure items in place, and it's good to go!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Very Cool..

like like

What year is yours? Aren’t the handles different in some years?

Very cool.

Woah there hold the praise until I get my store up and running. Bolt together sliders. You make all the measurements, cuts, and drill all the holes. Correct bolts not supplied.

Great job! on the HD website I did not see the 52" option, but I guess I could buy the longer 72" option and trim it to fit.
Question though, based on your experience, would it be advantageous to use the 16" depth versus the 12"? and is there room for the larger shelving?

I like the idea. May consider something similar. If I do, I would spray paint the shelving and hardware to match the tan interior.
Rustoleum satin fossell spray paint perfectly matched the lexus interior tan

Find more overhead storage threads here:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom