2 Little Piggies (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After years of saving and searching I came home with my first 55 last fall. While I was buying some parts I came home with a 2nd pig that was in even better condition (less rust) than the first. I used up all my hobby funds buying the 2nd one until some recent overtime has put me into business staring my first build on the 73. After i get her road worthy I’ll put some better care into the 69 like it deserves. I spent the last year reading all sorts of great build threads here on mud to help me get motivated and better informed. Now its time to get my project going.
27F24129-60AA-4A5D-B6F2-87031286F878.jpeg

The grey 73 will be my first project, to get it running reliable enough to drive to the trails.

The ill turn my attention to the brown 69. Currently my wife is putting her claim on this 69 as her own. We will see how this works itself out over the next couple years..

97739828-40B0-45E1-B2FB-C3DC29CA3B00.jpeg

After doing some in depth inspection on rust, some might decide that the ‘73 would be a better donor, but for me it is about the experience. Here is the run down on rust from the initial inspection (I’m sure ill find more as i go)
From 10 feet away
- Front fender lowers are eaten away pretty good.
- Rockers are in very rough shape, looks like extensive fiberglass repair from 20 years ago
- Rear corners are toasty with a bunch of fiberglass repair
Inside
- Drivers floor board is flimsy, with carpet glued over a large soft spot, same on passenger side.
- Rear floors are soft near the doors
Under neath
- Body mounts un radiator are solid
- A Pilar Mount on passenger side is completely gone
- A Pilar mount on driver side in 95% rusted away
- B Pilar support is a sheet metal structure that is solid across the frame but rusted away on both sides as it approaches the rockers. So no B Pilar support on either side
- C Pilar support from frame to body under the rear seat looks solid on on both sides
- D Pilar support under tailgate is completely gone on both sides. Body is resting directly on the chassis
The roof
- Almost an inch of bondo is popping off over a 36” diameter circle over driver side rear setting position...more investigation to follow
- With the head liner removed inside, inspection of the roof from underneath indicates some pin hole grouping at bondo location, but ok other wise, just really dented up.
268F5F99-5555-46E2-8A52-0F05D5DB80A5.jpeg

Here is what is under the drivers feet. Pretty much gone.
Passenger not quite as bad.
A90F5D8B-2892-4C83-AE38-01116880E7F1.jpeg

Time to do some cutting.

Welcome to the madness. We’re all just a bunch of swine lovers trying to keep these unique pigs on the road. Usually takes 2-3 to make one. You’re off to a good start.

Thanks, so previous owner said the 69 was parked for better part of a decade, so I don’t know on the engine. Chassis is solid, rockers are pretty roached out, I gutted the inside to get rid of mouse turds and hosed it out. Floors are solid and body mounts are solid. 69 is going to be more of power train project than body work. I am shopping for the missing interior parts. Probably take a year to track down all the parts i need. (Broken interior door handles, tailgate handle, stuff like that..)

I spent my family vacation this summer reading “slow 71” build during my morning coffee time when everyone was sleeping. The build threads have given me a lot to think through as i plan for the 69.

I spent my family vacation this summer reading “slow 71” build during my morning coffee time when everyone was sleeping. The build threads have given me a lot to think through as i plan for the 69.
Reading that thread has caused so many of us to jump down the rabbit hole.😎 His ride is impressive to see up close.

Yeah that’s the number i told my wife too. And hopefully i will get on the road for that number, but it wont be as pretty as the Slow ‘71.
So i got busy with the die grinder today. Getting as much done with time off work as possible. I cut out all the rotten flooring that was pretty cancerous. Started fab on floors with the bead roller I bought few months back.
We’ll see how it all lines up this week...I hope.
A051FF57-300E-47AE-8631-8EDC844231E6.jpeg

Well I got my floor panel fab done, the fit is good enough for this build. Took some time figuring out the bead roller (19” motorized from Eastwood) and what i really learned is it is going to take a lot of time to ever be any good. But these are good enough for a trail rig.
35CC66D1-43FE-4A2E-AAE4-1648416C9937.jpeg

5ED0D93B-E608-4570-922B-C7A7FD6A818D.jpeg

9C3F4DE3-49DC-4609-9D15-A8FDC0D46610.jpeg

My biggest lesson learned (besides keeping bandaids and super glue around when doing sheet metal work) is welding 101, clean metal!!! I thought i was clever and painted the bottom side with a self priming truck bed liner. I dirtied up all the welds RUSH55 nailed it on the grinding wheels adding up. Used the 6 i had to smooth out some ugly welds.
Here is the bottom of the big pan after painting, it WAS a proud moment...

4F8C5375-90C0-4D3F-B70B-6146E6FF0F51.jpeg

It still looks good from underneath, just contaminated the welds something fierce, and i am already not a very good welder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom