1FZ Power steering pump (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

UZJ40

OEM(ish)
SILVER Star
Threads
Ok, in regards to my last thread about the engine knock, I have concluded that it is not something internal. I unbolted the crank pulley and the noise stops. Even though there is some slight wobble in my crank pulley, I don't believe it could be making that much noise.

Also, I unbolted the PS pump from the two studs and pulled it off about ran the engine for about 5 seconds- noise still there.

So, my question is- are there any other gears that have to do with the driving of the power steering pump that do not come out when you pull the pump off the engine? Being that the PS pump doesn't run when the crank pulley isn't installed makes me think that this is could be the culprit.

Thanks for the help this far... I think I'm almost to the bottom of this!

And on a possibly related note- are there any Dexron ATF fluids that aren't red in color? The oil that's in my PS reservoir looks exactly like engine oil... kind of like a light brown/tan and it is translucent.

Thanks

jetranger: I recentrly had the same problem, the knocking sound was driving me crazy any time a got out of the Cruise. Asked the mechanic if he thought it was in the engine, but he wasn't sure... In the end and a few hours laters, it was the PS Pump.

He took it off, rebuilt some stuff, the knocking sound is gone and the engine is perfectly fine.... I'm not what exactly he did, but I can find out.....

That would be awesome... Like I said- I pulled the pump off the studs after I took off the 2 14mm nuts and ran the motor with the same noise. There may be more to the pump that I didn't take off...

Here is a picture of what I pulled off-

pump.jpg

Last edited:
In between the PS pump and the crankshaft pulley/harmonic damper is just the oil pump... :eek:

You said the noise went away when you loosened the front crank bolt in another post, right? You tightened it down and the noise came back?

I don't see how an oil pump might be making noise. Maybe you have a chipped tooth on the oil pump gear or on the gear that goes on the crankshaft.

I found a lump of grunge in one valley of a tooth when I was putting my engine back together. I dug it out with a pick and it rotated much smoother. Look at every tooth, tip and valley on your PS pump if you can. It might have a clue.

Here's the s*** you're dealing with ( I erased the other parts for you ) :
DSC_5542 (Medium).JPG

In between the PS pump and the crankshaft pulley/harmonic damper is just the oil pump... :eek:

You said the noise went away when you loosened the front crank bolt in another post, right? You tightened it down and the noise came back?

I don't see how an oil pump might be making noise. Maybe you have a chipped tooth on the oil pump gear or on the gear that goes on the crankshaft.

I found a lump of grunge in one valley of a tooth when I was putting my engine back together. I dug it out with a pick and it rotated much smoother. Look at every tooth, tip and valley on your PS pump if you can. It might have a clue.

Here's the s*** you're dealing with ( I erased the other parts for you ) :

Ahhhh, thanks so much for posting that picture! Yes, I took the front crank pulley and bolt off, and the noise went away. So, I guess without that on, my oil and PS pump are not operating.

Also, have you tried disconnecting #1, #2, and #3 plug wires to see if the noise changes whether or not the cylinder is firing? That might help expose a rod knock.

Yes, the noise persists. It changes slightly with each one pulled off, but just due to the RPM drop I think.

That brown color PS fluid is what came stock in the trucks. Not sure there is a replacement, most believe if you still have the honey/brown fluid that you have the original fluid and are way over do for a swap.

Very interesting... I'll definitely change it out then! Thank you

blkprj80- in that picture you posted, is it just engine oil that lubricates those gears? And can I access them by taking off the plate with all of the phillips screws that's partially hidden by the crank pulley?

blkprj80- in that picture you posted, is it just engine oil that lubricates those gears? And can I access them by taking off the plate with all of the phillips screws that's partially hidden by the crank pulley?

Nope, it is all behind the timing cover. If you remove the phillips screws you will only see the oil pump.

Engine oil does lubricate all these gears. There is an oil squirter that hits the timing chain and this geartrain.

The oil pump cover just gets you to the oil pump (rotor) itself. To get to that middle gear you would have to remove the timing chain cover. Some people have used Mobil DTE 24 Hydraulic Fluid in place of ATF with good results. Not the expert, but wonder if the oil pump shaft/bushing can wear out enough to cause that middle gear to wobble??

Edit: blkprj80 beat me to it.

Measure the thrust (back and forth front to rear) clearance of the oil pump drive gear with the PS pump out. The clearance limit is .012 inch. If the clearance is too high, replace the drive gear and/or the timing chain cover.

Sounds good... I'll look into that. I don't have precise measurement tools, but I suppose it would be a good excuse to buy some.

Thanks for the help

Quick update- Another Mud member volunteered to stop by tonight so I could compare my crank movement with his. Turns out, they are very similar, and his doesn't make any noise. So, I don't think it's the crank pulley making the noise.

As of now, I've ruled out-
Internals
PS pump
Accessories
Crank pulley

The only thing left is the oil pump/gear. So now I need to figure out how and why it's making that noise. I'm really hoping I can fix it without taking the head and timing cover off, but we'll see I guess.

Any other advice is welcome. Thanks

Take the PS pump out, start the engine and see if the oil pump gear is rattling back and forth in time with the knock and see if it goes away when you put some pressure on the gear.

x2 on pump removal. I am dealing with the same problem, pulled the pump and it is AMAZING how much noise that critter makes! You will be able to tell in a few seconds if it is the issue. I will be ordering a PS gear to replace the last one with new key as well hopefully to fix the issue...

Take the PS pump out, start the engine and see if the oil pump gear is rattling back and forth in time with the knock and see if it goes away when you put some pressure on the gear.

Took the pump out again and tried to move the oil pump gear. No play laterally or axially. Started it and didn't see any abnormal movement, although it's hard to tell from the angle and with the oil being sprayed onto the gear. I also rotated the crank so I could inspect the gear, and I didn't see any chips or marring on it.

I'm stumped.

So, do you think it could be the oil pump itself? Do those ever go bad? And if they do, do they sound like that at all?

x2 on pump removal. I am dealing with the same problem, pulled the pump and it is AMAZING how much noise that critter makes! You will be able to tell in a few seconds if it is the issue. I will be ordering a PS gear to replace the last one with new key as well hopefully to fix the issue...

Already determined this isn't the cause

Can you post a video of it running so that we can hear the noise?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom