Builds 1997 LX450 Ute (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks Bugs. That figures, my truck is about 5300 lbs. : ) Can't decide. Might try 2.0 first, though I'm on 315s does that factor into it?

How do Fox/Icon/Radflo compare - is it just a customer service thing? That's what I see on the forums..

J

315's here too and I can't see my rancho's making it to the 5 year mark although they've served well for the last 4+ years. What tire pressure you run your 315's at?

I love the ICONS but just can't budget that kinda coin, $2K+ for 4 corners with a stage 2 kit, so I was considering FOX as a happy medium, and from what I can tell there is no remote reservoir that Fox makes for the 80.

Down South Motorsport can make custom lengths and tunes for the 80 series. I looked into them awhile back.

315's here too and I can't see my rancho's making it to the 5 year mark although they've served well for the last 4+ years. What tire pressure you run your 315's at?

40lbs, Duratracs (if that was directed to me)

Last edited:
Thanks Bugs. That figures, my truck is about 5300 lbs. : ) Can't decide. Might try 2.0 first, though I'm on 315s does that factor into it?

How do Fox/Icon/Radflo compare - is it just a customer service thing? That's what I see on the forums..

J

5300lbs should be fine with the Fox2.0s unless you are running baja style washboards frequently.......for normal offroad / expo/ crawling- they should be fine.

thanks again 'bugs

would 2.5s still be better or overkill? I'm looking for areas where I can make my ride *much* better, if possible. I could be chasing a wild goose, but if it would make it noticeably better I'd consider springing for 2.5s

edit: @yohavos apologies for total hijack, happy to take this to a new shock thread..

No sweat, it's about time we got some tech in this thread :)

I haven't weighed yet, but will. The bed is 6.5' long.

haha, thank you yohavs. I put up a new shock thread anyway to spare this one..

thanks again 'bugs

would 2.5s still be better or overkill? I'm looking for areas where I can make my ride *much* better, if possible. I could be chasing a wild goose, but if it would make it noticeably better I'd consider springing for 2.5s

edit: @yohavos apologies for total hijack, happy to take this to a new shock thread..

the best "feel" will be with a Frankies style progressive wound spring. The Frankies compared to OME is where you will notice more of a difference than shocks. At 5200-5500lbs- the Frankies have that stock spring plushness thru most of the travel but ramps up to keep dive and orig spring bottomout wallow at bay.

if you can find out from Frankies Offroad - who was winding his springs for him ( i seem to recall it was a California based company) you might be able to get a set direct or twist Frankie to get another set.

If i were you- id get a group buy thread going and see if you can get 10 people interested in sets of Frankies springs........and approach him with 5-10+ buyers to make it worth his while. I would be in for another set for sure for my fzj55.

Last edited:
Thank you Bugs - I set up a separate shock thread. If you don't mind I"m going to quote your post there

J
Tire size does not factor into shock valving or spring rates. Both are based upon your sprung weight, which your axles are not a part of.

I have quad bypass king 3.0's with some pretty aggressive valving on my Ram 2500 and they do a wonderful job of soaking up the bumps at speed. I would imagine that 2.5's on an 80 would give a relatively similar ride.

I got the tail lights bolted in and the wires wrapped this evening.

Then, I threw on what's probably the best engineered part in the cab at this point:
image.jpg

Finally, the important part:
image.jpg

She's a driver.

Looking good! What kind of drill press is that?

Thanks! It's a Wen 8" drill press... just a little guy, but it was $80 shipped with Amazon Prime and was very well reviewed. I'm very happy with it so far. A little cutting oil and it bites right through steel.

image.jpg

we need more pics of the ute, from different angles : )

great work

I've been popping holes in 3/8" steel with a 5/8" bit. I saw a video of this press going through an inch or so of cast iron.

I'm going to build a rack and make some seat brackets with it soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom