FAQ 1995-1997 1FZ-FE FZJ80 OBD2 Main Engine Wiring Harness Connector Information (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@OGBeno for OBD1 93-94 harnesses, I'm assuming that a majority of these connectors are the same? Working on the head gasket and am crumbling most of the 30 year old plastic tabs...

If you consult the EWD for a specific circuit, the last page (or pages) will have the connectors for that circuit listed. For example, the Engine Control Circuit list the knock sensors (K1, K2) and crankshaft position sensor (C3):
1675189808319.png

1675189883863.png

1675189923072.png
1675189948114.png

Attachments

• 1995, Engine Control, Electrical Wiring Diagrams, Engine Control (ppg 58-69).pdf
    139.8 KB · Views: 49
and the Wiring Harness Repair manual lists them (1 position and 3 position waterroof):

1675190097322.png

1675190242771.png

FWIW, this took all of five minutes to find and put together.

Last edited:
Just learned this after inspecting my broken connectors. Thanks Mr T for making this easy. They put the number you need on the connector

Obd1

20230201_214301.jpg

Jim, the numbers (last 5 digits) are cast into the rear of the connector housings. All the necessary info is in the Wire Harness Repair Manual, in the Resources section.

the housing (female) is 90980-10899 (nearest the sensor)
1676827515492.png

the housing (male) is 90980-10898 (nearest the harness)
1676827696593.png

The repair terminals (Type 2.3II) and seals are available from Ballenger Motorsports. If you buy the housings from Toyota, you just get the housings, no terminals or seals.
1676827774427.png

Just discovered that the EGR gas temp sensor plug on the harness side has disintegrated. Can someone help with the replacement part number for the plug?

View attachment 3252361View attachment 3252362View attachment 3252363
Jim, the harness side (90980-10898) is NLA, according to McGeorge (and PartSouq)
1676834542331.png

However the female (sensor side) 90980-10899, is still available (which makes little sense to me, since the sensor has been NLA for a long time):
1676834703195.png

The good news: Ballenger has a replacement pair that will take care of your problem (OEM Sumitomo parts):
1676834859446.png
1676834892576.png

You'll need to order both the male (CONN-76018) and female (CONN-75930) kits, (housings, terminals and seals) and replace the broken (harness) side (male) as well as the good (sensor) side (female), unfortunately. These are from the 1UZ-FE parts bin (left hand side menu), you'll need to call, or email, Ballenger tomorrow and check stock on the male (CONN-100658) housing; the terminals and seals are listed on the website - no idea why the housing is listed but doesn't have a page).

I also highly recommend the terminal crimper; I tried repairing my engine harness without one, and it works so much better with the right tool. This is all I use for terminals now:
1676835717237.png

Jim, the harness side (90980-10898) is NLA, according to McGeorge (and PartSouq)
View attachment 3252533

However the female (sensor side) 90980-10899, is still available (which makes little sense to me, since the sensor has been NLA for a long time):
View attachment 3252535

The good news: Ballenger has a replacement pair that will take care of your problem (OEM Sumitomo parts):
View attachment 3252541View attachment 3252547

You'll need to order both the male (CONN-76018) and female (CONN-75930) kits, (housings, terminals and seals) and replace the broken (harness) side (male) as well as the good (sensor) side (female), unfortunately. These are from the 1UZ-FE parts bin (left hand side menu), you'll need to call, or email, Ballenger tomorrow and check stock on the male (CONN-100658) housing; the terminals and seals are listed on the website - no idea why the housing is listed but doesn't have a page).

I also highly recommend the terminal crimper; I tried repairing my engine harness without one, and it works so much better with the right tool. This is all I use for terminals now:
View attachment 3252565

Thanks. I searched and came to the same conclusion that 90980-10898 was NLA. I'll order these parts for a solid repair. The connection is holding together for now but I expect it's just a matter of time before the plug completely fails.

Any suggestion for a one wire, waterproof connector? I have a PO patch where a connector was removed and the wires spliced togther.

Thanks. I searched and came to the same conclusion that 90980-10898 was NLA. I'll order these parts for a solid repair. The connection is holding together for now but I expect it's just a matter of time before the plug completely fails.

Any suggestion for a one wire, waterproof connector? I have a PO patch where a connector was removed and the wires spliced togther.
Jim, there are several in the Wiring Harness Repair manual. The knock sensor connector housings are typical of the female housings: they are designed to mate with a sensor, so there won't be a male available.

I would suggest you use the male housing numbers to match up the female housings, for example, for pairs that are used as harness joins:
1676842357562.png

and then ask Ballenger for the housings, seals and terminals to make up the complete housings.

The copy of the repair manual I've posted in the Resources section is bookmarked, so you don't have to scroll to find the sections; I search for housings by CTRL+F and the last five digits. Use the female (or male) as a starting point, and then CTRL+F to the section that shows the paired numbers. I found several pairs that Toyota still lists as available, but only one side. :(

Also, FWIW, the type 2.3II terminals are the most commonly used terminals in the engine harness. I keep 20-30 on hand, male and female, for repairs, since they're used more often than not.

My suggestion, and this may be easier if you are only trying to make a splice and don't care to keep the harness OEM, is to search Ballenger's website for two-way (that's the name for two wire housings) kits for 1UZ-FE or 2JZ engines, since those are more likely to still be in production, and just use one of the terminal "ways" leaving the other blank (Toyota does this often; you just need a solid seal [plug] where the unused "way" is - Ballenger has those).

Ballenger also has, or can get, housings that aren't listed in the online catalog, so it may be even easier to call and ask them to put together a connector housing pair kit for you. AFAIK, all the waterproof housings they list are Sumitomo, the ones Toyota uses. Other Japanese manufacturers use them too, so again, if you're not concerned with an OEM connection, just a good one that Toyota would likely use today, any Sumitomo will work.

Just make sure that any connector housing that you intend to use outside the body, like the engine harness, for example, is listed as waterproof. Ballenger carries, and Toyota lists, non-waterproof connector housings too (they're mostly Yazaki, although Yazaki also makes waterproof connector housings).

HTH

Jim, there are several in the Wiring Harness Repair manual. The knock sensor connector housings are typical of the female housings: they are designed to mate with a sensor, so there won't be a male available.

I would suggest you use the male housing numbers to match up the female housings, for example, for pairs that are used as harness joins:
View attachment 3252670
and then ask Ballenger for the housings, seals and terminals to make up the complete housings.

The copy of the repair manual I've posted in the Resources section is bookmarked, so you don't have to scroll to find the sections; I search for housings by CTRL+F and the last five digits. Use the female (or male) as a starting point, and then CTRL+F to the section that shows the paired numbers. I found several pairs that Toyota still lists as available, but only one side. :(

Also, FWIW, the type 2.3II terminals are the most commonly used terminals in the engine harness. I keep 20-30 on hand, male and female, for repairs, since they're used more often than not.

My suggestion, and this may be easier if you are only trying to make a splice and don't care to keep the harness OEM, is to search Ballenger's website for two-way (that's the name for two wire housings) kits for 1UZ-FE or 2JZ engines, since those are more likely to still be in production, and just use one of the terminal "ways" leaving the other blank (Toyota does this often; you just need a solid seal [plug] where the unused "way" is - Ballenger has those).

Ballenger also has, or can get, housings that aren't listed in the online catalog, so it may be even easier to call and ask them to put together a connector housing pair kit for you. AFAIK, all the waterproof housings they list are Sumitomo, the ones Toyota uses. Other Japanese manufacturers use them too, so again, if you're not concerned with an OEM connection, just a good one that Toyota would likely use today, any Sumitomo will work.

Just make sure that any connector housing that you intend to use outside the body, like the engine harness, for example, is listed as waterproof. Ballenger carries, and Toyota lists, non-waterproof connector housings too (they're mostly Yazaki, although Yazaki also makes waterproof connector housings).

HTH

Thanks again, this helps a lot. I've looked through the Wiring Harness Repair Manual and with your explanations it's beginning to make sense. My approach with this 80 is to keep it in good condition and running and if I need to replace electrical connectors I'm fine with going with an alternative but I do want to keep it close to OEM.

Download the Wiring Harness Repair Manual, in the Resources section. Everything you need is in there.
I found what I was looking for in this thread:

Can anyone tell me where the beige 3 pin connector on the left side of the pic on the oil sending oil sending harness connects?
Round white = A/C
Black/gray = oil temp
Beige = ?
84ABC834-11C2-4DF3-8A4A-CD27C7D17F69.jpeg

Here you go:

OIl [pressure sneding  unit.jpg

I had no idea my sending unit was in such bad shape! Thanks for making me look!

...and how did that lower thermostat housing nut get so nasty? Definitely time for Spring cleaning!

Does anyone have a part number for the body side of the O2 sensor connectors on a 1996? I need to get a splice-in repair part for the front sensor and might as well do the back while I'm at it. Hopefully somebody has done this and has the part number for the repair splice?

Last edited:
Just to be clear, you're asking about the housing part numbers on the pigtails, which are supplied with the sensors, not the harness side connector. Both the sensor and harness sides are typical for 1995-1997, Toyota Land Cruiser and 1996-1997 Lexus LX450.

The front 02 sensor pigtail connector (male) is 90980-10868; the harness side connector (female) is 90980-10869 (harness connector "H5").

The rear 02 sensor pigtail connector is 90980-11027; the harness side connector (female) is 90980-11028 (harness connector "H6").

Both are Sumitomo waterproof type for terminal type 2.3 II.
1684011751788.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom