1993 Transmission shift issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've read a ton of threads on problematic A442F transmissions not shifting correctly in Drive. My '93 is doing something very similar. In Drive, the truck seems to be starting out in 2nd or 3rd gear. If I shift it down into L1, it takes off like it should and I can continue to manually shift up to D. Trans fluid has been changed & level is full when checked running on level ground. Here's some other helpful info.

PRND2L will not illuminate on the dash or console to tell me what gear I'm in. I've looked at the neutral safety switch and it seems to be in place but how can I check it? Is there a dash bulb or fuse for this?

No flashing O/D lights, it seems to accelerate fine when shifting manually.

I've read to replace solenoids or possibly clean them. Also read up on adjusting a shift cable but which cable is it? Is the 2nd cable next to the accel pedal cable for cruise control? I've also read up on a wiring harness under the PHH that corrodes causing malfunction of signal for trans. Where should I start first?
Thanks.

Corrosion in the NSS barrel plug causes this exact condition. It's located near the PHH. Remove the driver's tire, inner fender rubber and reach way up high and to the right. Here's where I posted to a thread about this.
RTH: 1994 FZJ80 Transmission issue?

On my son's 94, corrosion caused by not having inner fender rubbers had completely degraded two wires at their connector points. I unplugged the connector, found the two problem wires/connectors, then just wired in two new wires around the connector. Dash shifter lights work properly and so does the transmission. It's been about 20 months or so since the repair.

Last edited:
You should start by purchasing a 1993 FSM. It's much easier to understand the vehicle and the help other members are offering if you have the manual to reference.

Corrosion in the NSS barrel plug causes this exact condition. It's located near the PHH. Remove the driver's tire, inner fender rubber and reach way up high and to the right. Here's where I posted to a thread about this.
RTH: 1994 FZJ80 Transmission issue?

On my son's 94, corrosion caused by not having inner fender rubbers had completely degraded two wires at their connector points. I unplugged the connector, found the two problem wires/connectors, then just wired in two new wires around the connector. Dash shifter lights work properly and so does the transmission. It's been about 20 months or so since the repair.
^^^^ This^^^^

yes please atleast download the FSM... There is a whole section going through step by step troubleshooting for the A442F.

Attachments

• troubles.pdf
    607.8 KB · Views: 231
thanks guys, I took a look at the NSS barrel plug last night. It was dark but I was able to locate it and spray it with WD40 with hopes it will come apart. i'll jack up the drivers side and take the tire off. Let you know what I find out.

FWIW, WD40 is liquid glue. You're better of with penetrating oil, or failing that, any light machine oil.

As a former vehicle component manufacturer, I can attest to the evils of both WD40 and NEVER-SEEZ. There are applications for both, but they're not passenger vehicles. You're better off staying far away from both.

please read the FSM. It is helpful and may save you time. Its what real mechanics reference when they are trying to figure this out.

Otherwise you are just shooting in the dark.

Have you tried to pull a transmission code? (Procedure is in the file I linked above) My bet is you won't get any blinking OD OFF light when you jumper the diagnostic ports. Why? because your symptoms are inline with loss of electronic control of the transmission.

IMG_5098.JPG
IMG_5101.JPG
Thanks for the troubleshooting manual! Very helpful!

So I took the two plugs apart that were above the starter. Both looked clean & to have nice non-corroded terminals. I put back together but same result, no lights telling me what gear I've selected.

Next I ran the OBD1 test by adding jumper between TT & E1, code continuously blinks 2x per second so according to the guide all is ok electrically.

Looks like next test is to measure voltage on the terminals when I select different gears. I'm open for more suggestions. Thanks as always.

I am pretty sure neither of the connections are for the NSS, it is round with 8 pins IIRC

Here are both connections to the NSS you should check:

NSS.PNG

You pulled the main tranny harness plugs, you need the barrel shaped plug as provided in the pic

yup that's one.... Just follow the split loom wires coming from the nss going towards engine.

You are heading down the right path by breaking out the multi meter and following the mAnual.

It sets you on a road to diagnosis rather than throwing money and time at it blindly with your fingers crossed.

Your post #14 shows an arrow pointing to a 1 wire plug. The plug (on the right) in post #12 appears to be the one. The NSS barrel plug that I have worked on has about 8 wires coming in and out of it. I would recommend following the wiring harness from the NSS forward if you can't locate it. It's WAY UP THERE AND TO THE RIGHT when working through the driver's side wheel well.

Looks like you found the culprit. Now just clean both plug ends, (I use starting fluid and a small long bristle brush), splice in wires around the damaged one(s) and reinsert plug ends with a liberal amount of dielectric grease.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom