For Sale 1991 HDJ81 Triple Locked - New Mild Build - Charlotte,NC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

****SOLD - SOLD - SOLD****

Pic 2.JPG Pic 3.JPG Pic 9.JPG Pic 7.JPG Pic 4.JPG
1991 HDJ81 Land Cruiser Limited VX (172K miles)
PRICE: $ 22,850.00 Located in Charlotte (area), NC.

Well, it pains me to offer this up for sale considering the amount of time it took me to find one and get it ready to go out on trips…but we picked up a new vehicle for my lovely wife and so I am going to take over our 200 series - and do a mild build to that.

There was a mileage discrepancy that put a bummer on my initial purchase, but once that was resolved, this rig has turned out to be an extremely nice example of a well-equipped and rust-free LC. The true mileage on this is 276K KM (172K Miles) which is still quite low for a 26 year old vehicle (6,600/year). Everything works: AC blows cold, Heat (including rear) blows hot. Even the silly stuff like the console refrigerator (that will actually make ice), clock, altimeter, compass, antenna, etc…

I purchased it bone stock in June and have spent over $6,750 in parts on the maintenance and mild build. If you look around – there are rough examples for sale for 18-19K that will likely need similar maintenance and upkeep (figure 5-8K) to baseline it properly. It runs great: fires up immediately, and does not leak any fluids. I have gone off-roading once in it and the lockers work very well – but could be a little faster to engage. I think it’s a matter of exercising them more than anything else as lockers are rarely used. The work I did was done to the FSM procedures with factory parts where possible and every nut was torqued to spec….that’s how I get to sleep at night – with self-diagnosed vehicular OCD…..

Registered properly as a diesel powered Land Cruiser in N.C. – the title is clean, clear and in my hands (safe).

Specs:
  • 1 HD-T 4.2 Liter Turbo Diesel
  • A442F Automatic transmission
  • K294 Axles: Triple Locked! F/R Electronic locker with Center Diff Lock that can be engaged in 4Hi
  • Full floating rear axle with rear disc brakes (non-ABS)
  • Center console refrigerator/ice maker
  • No factory roof rack
  • No third row seating – it wasn’t built with them.
Recent work done (within 1000 miles):
  • Rebuilt injection pump (professionally rebuilt and installed/timed)
  • New timing belt, idler spring, pulley and cam seal (all OEM)
  • Rebuilt front axles (new seals, bearings, races, etc…) Marlin Crawler kit –with EcoSeal.
  • New aluminum radiator, OEM upper and lower hoses, Gates transmission cooler lines
  • New OEM water pump and thermostat
  • New OEM power steering reservoir and Gates power steering lines
  • New OEM valve cover gasket
  • New OEM belts (all)
  • New Gates AC idler pulley
  • New OEM fuel filter
  • New hood and rear hatch struts
Mild Build:
  • Old Man Emu 2.5”lift (medium springs)
  • Old Man Emu Steering stabilizer
  • White Knuckle Off-Road custom sliders (DOM Tube, powder coated, 66 ½”)
  • (5) 17” FJ Steelies – painted (3 coats of primer, 3 coats color, 3 coats clear)
  • (5) New BFG MT KM2’s 255/80/17
  • Extended front and rear breather lines
  • Yakima rack with cross bars
Overall condition:
Considering its age, it is in excellent survivor condition inside and out.

EXTERIOR:
As to be expected, there are some minor blemishes here and there with a very small dent in the back (passenger side) D pillar. Bumpers have a few scuffs as do door edges. The side trim molding is faded and the paint on the roof is also slightly faded. The hood was re-sprayed as were the side fender flares prior to my purchase. There is a slight contrast between the newly painted hood and the top of the front fenders and cowl area that were not re-sprayed. The wheel wells appear to have been sprayed when the flares were done. I’m not sure why – but I have looked carefully and it wasn’t done to cover anything “bad” up. I was going to paint the inside of the wells black with some undercoating material but will not do that now as I know prospective buyers frown at that kind of stuff.

The body has very few scratches or door dings at all – it’s in surprisingly great condition. I clay- barred and waxed the rig and she feels smooth as glass….no evidence of body work.

INTERIOR:
It came from Japan so it’s been smoked in. I used a sanitation fogger that worked quite well. There are no water leaks inside at all. The panel on the driver’s door that houses the window switches is cracked. The upper dash is in excellent condition with no cracks. The hard plastic dash just between the top of the steering column and bottom of the instrument panel does have a crack. The thick carpet is in fantastic condition as is the headliner and seats. The cushion in the front seats (mostly driver’s seat) is starting to deteriorate and lose its form. But the seats are very clean – the photo makes it look dirty, but it isn’t. Floor mats are the customary disco-looking Japanese luxury ones – with some wear. I have them but I prefer the weather-proof rubber ones – that look better too!

UNDERCARRIAGE:
Dry and clean – albeit the undercoating that is there (likely since new) is starting to come off in spots – see photos. It looks like a coating and/or paint treatment was applied at certain intervals in Japan as protective measure. There is no rust and the bolts/fasteners come apart easier on this rig than on my 200 series! The maintenance and build was a pleasure to do. Sorry I didn’t totally clean the undercarriage after our last outing.

THINGS TO BE DONE:
Whereas I’ve done over $6,750 worth of maintenance and upgrades, there are still some items I would address if I continued to own it.
  • Replace stereo/speakers: they work, but the radio is Japanese and only tunes up to 90MHz – so you’ll likely only get one or two classical music stations! The CD player does work fine. Even someone who is not an audiophile will recognize this is not an award winning stereo system. ;)
  • BEBs: I haven’t done this service yet – it isn’t difficult but requires a full day – which I won’t be able to commit to until late April.
  • Rubber bushings: nothing wrong here, but the suspension bushings are original and simply need replacing.

**I’ve tried to be as accurate as possible. I am happy to take any additional photos of the truck for folks who are seriously interested in owning one of these. I can even do a Facetime video conference to walk through it and show you any details in particular.

I have 2 keys, owner’s manual and original tool kit and jack.

Last edited:
I'm happy to take additional photos...

Nice work on the color of those steelies. Looks super good! Good luck with the sale.
Thanks - but it was a bit of an accident! I was going for a match to the body color - but was a shade off (still aToyota color though )

Your selling it!? Right after I bought my diesel too.
I honestly didn't know I was going to sell it until Wednesday when my wife finally decided on a another car!

Thanks! My driving is almost entirely on surface streets these days (I live quite close to work). So I'm seeing about 17. I have not yet actually done a tank full on the highway! By comparison, my stock 200 series gets about 11 under these same conditions. Yikes.

Other HDJ81 owners are regularly getting in the low 20's.....maybe I should take a road trip and find out! :)

Last edited:
Bump for the upcoming weekend!

Friday Bumperooski.

Bump

Dude, you should just keep it. I just tuned my boost compensator to match my 23psi of boost... it really moves now! With your manual transmission, yours would be even faster!

did you swap the rear sliding windows out for 1 piece of is that how the non USA models were?

did you swap the rear sliding windows out for 1 piece of is that how the non USA models were?
Hey Mike - no...mine came with non-sliding windows...likely because I don't have a third row.

SALE PENDING :crybaby:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom