Builds 1990 HZJ75 Troopy build thread. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I had a parts availability problem at Temecula Valley Toyota. I needed bushings for the lateral arms to chassis, they were in the Portland distribution warehouse but could not ship beacause they were not a D.O.T. approved part. It was so frustrating being told they were available but that I could not acquire them. I ended up ordering aftermarket ones from Nolathane in Australia. I've also had a great experience ordering from

70 Series : CruiserParts.net, Toyota Landcruiser Parts

@SkiBum506 We should get the CO troopys together for a ramble camporee!
raining_david_tennant_nosedrip.gif

Andrew, If the 77 Series guys have a "get together" anywhere east of the Mississippi, I'll make sure you're not left out in the rain. Heck, we'll even let you sit at the cool table. :)

As long as the table is at mcdonalds, its all on me folks :-D
Sorry, Cruiser guys with plush carpet and bouncy seats don't do McDonalds. That's for the Naugahyde crowd. :)

Sorry, Cruiser guys with plush carpet and bouncy seats don't do McDonalds. That's for the Naugahyde crowd. :)
Give you an inch......

"Plush" doesnt exactly describe the 25 year old fibrous multicolored mat that you pass off as a carpet...... Every body gets a free mcflurry except charles

Hi everyone, its been awhile. I just posted in my titling thread and I think I can close that one as I now have a US registered Troopy with title in hand! It's been a busy summer and I'm settling in for the winter now. While I no longer have the funds to do an Espar coolant heater as planned, I need to do something so I can mover her when it's negative whatever this winter. I can't find the thread at the moment but I believe a lower coolant heater hose and a block heater in tandem were recommended? Do you believe this to be correct and sufficient? Open to suggestions and name of products (or links) you have had good success with for cold winter starts. Thanks everyone.

Lower radiator hose heater from amazon, napa, or any other auto store! If is a freezer plug on the block, leave the freazer plug alone. Block heaters on these locations could leak easily or pop out as the way they are held in place is not very secured "my opinion at least" This one works great on my troopy, my buddies troopy, and is what my buddy that works on nothing but landcruisers uses. Super easy to install, 15 minute job. Works flawlessly

41I9Z29AX9L._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

I only use that kind because I can’ Use a block heater. My experience with in hose kind has not been good they keep burning up. The block heater I would use has a “arm”? On the back side that locks it in so it should not “pop out”. So I use a Espar coolant heater for primary.

I thought the lower hose heater doesn't work with the 1HZ and 1HDT due to something with the thermostat not allowing for circulation and burning/melting the pump.

A block heater from a 3B fits in one of the frost plugs and can be had from NAPA PN: 605-3192.

I thought the lower hose heater doesn't work with the 1HZ and 1HDT due to something with the thermostat not allowing for circulation and burning/melting the pump.

A block heater from a 3B fits in one of the frost plugs and can be had from NAPA PN: 605-3192.

I have mine on a 2h. I don't think it would burn the pump though. It don't think it gets anywhere near as hot as operating temperature.

Bought one of these Kat heaters in spring of '15 and it is shot already. Never really worked reliably and I suspect it is air bubbles, according to Kat. Not sure how to bleed it. But, the lower hose heater on the 81 works great!

upload_2017-10-18_0-24-38.png

I also have a battery heater on the 75 that seems to do the most good. It has been in the low 20F (-7C) range last few nights and she cranks much faster with a warm battery!

Any pics of the truck?

in Europe is easy enough to get a second hand Webasto.
has its own system to shut down if not enough fuel or coolant gets to it. also stops heating once coolant temp reaches 70 deg.

a diy job that sets you back 200euros, but engine is happy and you don't need a power cord.

just a switch on the dash or….a gsm/gps locator and you simply sent text message to the car to start/stop the heating sequence.

been using webastos on my cars for last 6 years and -17deg celsius is no trouble.

Some pics of Safari Ltd tied the Kat into my engine. Ignore the rust and leaks.

IMG_2974.JPG
IMG_2975.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom