Builds 1990 HZJ75 Troopy build thread. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

SkiBum506

SILVER Star
Threads
Well I picked my Troopy up in Bend Oregon and drove her back to Colorado. Naturally I started a list in my head of things to fix/improve on the way home. Eventually I have bigger plans but for the short term I only want to fix the little things and upkeep. Here is the list of what I'm thinking so far.

1. Make a list of all fluids and what brand/variant of each I want (looking to baby her) What do you use or recommend and why?

2. Fix windshield sprayers, I can get a little bubbling at the nozzle but no spray. (yes tank is full)

3. Replace cracked windshield. Where can I get one?

4. Gauges, I have a low boost turbo but only factory gauges. What gauges do you recommend?
Im looking for a auditory temp warning.

5. Want to do a full LED conversion of all lights. Are all Troopy LED kits created equal?

6. In cab blower fan only works on high and medium high, low and medium low don't do anything. Heat works great, A/C doesn't (I'm sure installing A/C will fix this problem)

7. Stereo. While the factory speakers are an auditory experience all of their own, Im thinking aftermarket
upgrade is warranted. I am looking at double din full screen head units, I want to add a backup camera.
Would also like to replace factory speaker locations with upgrades and install two speakers in a overhead
shelf in the back. Maybe a low profile sub I can tuck away somewhere without wasting space.

8. Rear overhead shelf. I want to build and mount a shelf above the rear doors without cutting new holes. I would like two speakers mounted in
the shelf. Im thinking make a cardboard version and us that as my templet to cut out wood pieces. Then
assemble and carpet wrap.
Thoughts?

9. I have drapes in the back, I like them but want to integrate some magnets so they don't sway around and
will stay put on their own.

10. Also need to figure out my passenger seat. I have aftermarket seats and the drivers side reclines with a knob on the side. The passenger
is very
similar looking but no knob. It has a lever but I can't seem to make it move in any way. It appears that it should recline but don't
know how.

Thanks everyone, I ultimately have many other things I hope to accomplish with her but this is where I will start. Also not sure why font size randomly changed on a couple numbers.

Last edited:
Congrts on the troopy ownership

1 They don't need the most expensive oils or other potions, just stick to well known brands. You may want to change oils between summer and winter although there are oils within the specs that can do both.

2 I had a similar problem with my other 75 series not spraying. I found the pump was working but totally worn out. I found a generic one at the parts stores that was almost identical for $10. Worked great for 6 years and was still going when I sold it. I suspect other Toyota like Corollas ect would have the same pump.

6 Fan speeds not working are usually a resistor problem.

8 I have a rear overhead shelf built in by the PO. On top of his lack of fab skills and krappy materials it has no useful purpose except to hold 2 speakers up.
Its a pain getting in and out without hitting your head and with the speakers ,there isn't much room inside the compartment.
My plan is to ditch the lot and install some outdoor/boat speakers on their own brackets.
The best set up is to make up a frame on the troopy floor with slide out drawers. Then throw a mattress on top for overnighters.

Feel free to jump in on any of these with advice, suggestions, or anything else you want to contribute.

@roscoFJ73 thanks for the input.
1. What brands and weights do you recommend? I live at 8,883ft and it gets damn cold in the winter (webasto or espar to be added)

2. I will start there, thanks for the tip.

6. Now I am lost. Don't have a clue where to start or look.

8. I have awesome full length drawers with platform, already spent a night in her on my road trip home. Good call on hitting your head, I definitely want overhead speakers in the rear. Im now thinking really narrow shelf across the middle connecting the corners or just two corner shelves that stand alone. I have also been thinking of marine speakers, I have been thinking of them as my B speakers where I can listen to A or B or both (A being the inside speakers). I would like to mount them hidden in a roof rack, bumper, or anywhere hidden. These would be great when gearing up for a bike ride or just general backcountry dance party's.

@1978HJ45 I have this on my radar and will post soon.

6. Now I am lost. Don't have a clue where to start or look.?

I have only had one go bad on me, that was in the 73 series. I never bothered because I don't use the lowest setting. I believe there is a bit of fiddly work behind the dash.

If I put new speakers in the rear I had planned to fit them so they could be swivelled around to point out through the rear doors.

A guy who owned a stereo shop told me that the Mercedes from the 80s had high quality speakers the same size as the landcruiser 70 dash speakers.
Even the stock speakers don't sound too bad if you use them as tweeters

3. Toyota. Get it locally because no Toyota parts department with a brain is going to ship one of those.

Install a new weatherstrip at the same time.

3. Toyota. Get it locally because no Toyota parts department with a brain is going to ship one of those.

Install a new weatherstrip at the same time.
What do you mean when you say locally? Being in the same rock chucking neighborhood, I'll be in the same boat someday.

@coldtaco thanks for the idea, I'm interested in as close to factory look as possible. I would like to source a professionally made one.

@beno I can order a windshield for my Troopy at a Toyota dealership in Colorado? I didn't think we could order parts for non US vehicles directly from Toyota.

Weatherstrip: 56121-60120
Glass: 56111-60230

The weatherstrip will be the non-Chrome style weatherstrip. So if you have chrome strips, they will be deleted on install. Not a bad thing as they are rust magnets.

@beno I don't believe I have the chrome and I am happy to see any and all chrome disappear from her. Thanks for the part codes. I didn't think I could get these directly from a Toyota dealer here in the states. You are saying that this is what I can do, phone up my nearest Toyota dealership give them these part numbers and then bring the truck to them for the replacement once they arrive?

@beno thanks, this is great news. So why is it you can order some parts for 70 series at a dealership here in the states but not other parts?

Because Toyota has strict regionalized agreements with their suppliers about what parts are allowed into what markets. 7x trucks were never imported into the US market. Thus they are gray market and Toyota is not very keen on gray market parts support.

That said, some parts are available because of certain reasons that are somewhat oblique. Anyway, that's a campfire story for another time.

@coldtaco thanks for the idea, I'm interested in as close to factory look as possible. I would like to source a professionally made one.

@beno I can order a windshield for my Troopy at a Toyota dealership in Colorado? I didn't think we could order parts for non US vehicles directly from Toyota.
that glass part number is probably the same for the Canadian market BJ-70, therefore north American market part number :)

I had the tinted strip in the windscreen on my 73 and the other 75 series, its much nicer driving into the sun with one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom