Builds 1990 HZJ75 Troopy build thread. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If this one is shot, I'm switching to the simple lower rad hose heater.

My G-Wagon was always hard to start in the cold, but it had a freeze plug heater and an oil pan heater. I only ever used the oil pan heater and it always worked great. Being at the bottom of the engine the heat rises and heats everything.

I personaly don't think you need both. Run a nice "thin" synthetic oil in it for the winter and she wil be just fine. The heat alone from the hose heater keeps the whole engine bay warm. The biggest "issue" Is the block being super cold which makes it contract and things not being expanded nice and tight. With the radiator hose heater the block is toasty, pistons are warm and she will be happy and start smooth. The oil will catch up to temp very soon after. A good "thin" synthetic oil will keep its lubricating properties just fine when cold. CORRECTION.. the biggest issue is starting up the rig cold and just dirving away right away.. specially to high RPM, highway speed. :-( That hurts me just thinking about it hahah. Start it up, give it a good ten minutes to warm up and drive away like grandma.. she gets up to normal temp, and do whatever you want after that

I personaly don't think you need both.
agreed.

Another challenge when it's -20F is low battery power. I put a heat wrap around my main battery and it really adds extra juice for a quicker turn over on cold mornings. It has been in the low 20s last week and the block heater isn't working, so I used the wrap alone and it worked great! Better than the heater alone.

Something better than a battery wrap type heater is a installed trickle charger, this gives you complete exiting of the molecules all the way through the battery.
I've looked at those and they even sell them at wally world. Any particular brand that you like?

Thanks for the info. Anyone know what size heater I need? I have searched for radiator hose diameters but can't turn up what I need. I would just go look at the truck but I'm dog sitting at a friends house.
Lower radiator hose heater from amazon, napa, or any other auto store! If is a freezer plug on the block, leave the freazer plug alone. Block heaters on these locations could leak easily or pop out as the way they are held in place is not very secured "my opinion at least" This one works great on my troopy, my buddies troopy, and is what my buddy that works on nothing but landcruisers uses. Super easy to install, 15 minute job. Works flawlessly

View attachment 1556921

I've looked at those and they even sell them at wally world. Any particular brand that you like?
can't remember the brand, but Schumacher ? sounds like the brand I've used before. I don't do anything with the batteries anymore now that I live in more "moderate" climate :) I might still have one hooked up to my wife's Rav4.

Thanks @coldtaco, I'm looking for the diameter that will work with my truck. They are listed on Amazon in 1", 1.25", 1.5", 1.75", and 2" diameters

Thanks @coldtaco, I'm looking for the diameter that will work with my truck. They are listed on Amazon in 1", 1.25", 1.5", 1.75", and 2" diameters
Measure with calipers: loosen the lower hose clamp, pull the hose away a bit (it will leak) and measure the OD of the pipe. Buy the size, then do a radiator flush, cause it needs it, before you install the heater. Boom. -20 ready. It's coming soon.

I think I'm going with a lower radiator hose heater and maybe one of these

You do understand the thermostat is in the lower radiator hose inlet and will prevent warm water from rising?

Perhaps I don't know what I'm getting into here. My understanding was these lower radiator hose heaters work well. The installation I have come to understand in cut your lower radiator hose in the middle, slip hose ends over each side of the heater and tighten hose clamps. Is this the correct location? @roscoFJ73 will the heat from this unit not open the thermostat? Does a better location exist? @RhinoRig I don't have any calipers, I will have to get my hands on some. I was hoping someone that is running one of these heaters remembered what size they used. Thanks everyone.

The lower hose heater works great on the 81. I measured the outlet from the radiator measures 1.5", so that should be the ID of the hose. My heater pumps hot water to the same location as a lower rad hose, so it should work fine.

If the heater can get the coolant hot enough ,88c? , it will open. If it doesn't open the flow of warm coolant will not get to the block.
I'm not sure what temp the t/stat is fully open. A lot of them open gradually, maybe at lower temps and become fully open at operating temp.
If other owners say it will open, that's great.

Those hose heaters suck. I've lived in gunnison and crested butte. A good block heater is fine. Good solid batteries and functioning glow system and maybe a battery blanket is all you need. The 24v will turn over better than your 12v diesel friends. Don't overthink. Besides you only get a few nights past -20 anymore anyway.

Those hose heaters suck. I've lived in gunnison and crested butte. A good block heater is fine. Good solid batteries and functioning glow system and maybe a battery blanket is all you need. The 24v will turn over better than your 12v diesel friends. Don't overthink. Besides you only get a few nights past -20 anymore anyway.

Actually, I rebuilt the starter last week and she is firing up better than ever with 22-25F in the mornings¡ And the blanket heater is definitely a plus. Replaced the block heater on Friday (which only lasted about a year) and will probably reserve that for the -20F days soon to come.

yep, don't forget the starter! I've spied your 75 a couple times sledding by red cliff ;). I'll stop in next time

Hi everyone! Haven't been on much as work has been overflowing lately. This has led to the Troopy sitting and it looks like my battery is beyond dead. I'm reading I need a group 27 or group 31 battery? It sounds like interstates are popular. Below is a pic of the battery that came with from Australia.

IMG_2514.JPG

IMG_2525.JPG

IMG_2526.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom