For Sale 1988 FJ 62 Toyota Land Cruiser - CLEAN with Chevy 6.0L V8 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

NEED HER GONE - Take a Look at my Craigslist Post. Please, contact me with serious interest only at 818-355-5522.

Thank you!

1988 FJ 62 Toyota Land Cruiser - CLEAN with Chevy 6.0L V8

This rig is SERIOUSLY clean. I ABSOLUTELY love it to death, but need to get rid of it because I can't drive it every day, don't really have a place to store it, and, most importantly, I just had a newborn and need to prioritize family first. It is a California and Arizona car, so there is ABSOLUTELY not a lick of rust on it. The first picture is when I powdercoated the bumper. The other pictures did not have the powdercoat on it yet. Needed to wait a week for my paint guy to be free and squeeze me in.

You will see below that I have a Chevy V8 motor in it. The motor and transmission were FULLY rebuilt and I have only driven 2,000 miles on the new parts. The motor came out of a 2003 GMC Sierra. Runs CHERRIES!

Here are the additions that I have made to the car:
Chevrolet 2500 Motor (6.0L) with 4L80 Transmission that puts down 296 rear wheel hp and 330 rear wheel torque (have the dyno paperwork) - Cost me $20,000 for the whole deal to do it right.
Custom made Cold Air Intake - $350
Custom Exhaust with Magnaflow Muffler - $750
BRAND new Aluminum Radiator with two 10" Fans - $600
Specter Off Road 3" Lift with Heavy Duty Springs - Cost me $2,500
Drilled and Slotted front Rotors - $350
BRAND new wired and installed sound system (JBL Amp and Speakers with Alpine Head Unit) - $800
Brand New Warn Front Hub Locks - $220
Spartan Front Locker - $300
ARB Rear Air Locker - When I bought it, it was $1,500 including installation
Gobi Stealth Roof Rack - $1,500
Custom Made Rear Bumper, Tire Carrier, and Gas Can Holder - $3,000 (I still have the original)
Custom Made Front Bumper from TLC 4x4 that has been powder coated - $2,200 (I still have the original)
Custom Made Rock Sliders - $700
50" Light Bar - $500
22" Light Bar - $300
BRAND new 33X15 BF Goodrich Mud Terrain tires with literally only 100 miles on them. - $1,200
Brand New Trunk and Rear Seat Carpet - $300
A/C works perfect!

As you can see, I have put A LOT of work into this car. The oil was just changed, the hubs and diffs were just serviced. The front differential was just COMPLETELY rebuilt when I put in the front locker only 100 miles / 2 months ago. The brake booster and all brake components have been rebuilt / put new. This rig gets me thumbs up and looks like you wouldn't believe.

Call me with serious interest only and I will give you more details. As you can see from the pictures, the car is in PRISTINE condition. The interior looks just as good as the exterior.

Last edited:
If you have an issue with smog and that is the reason someone doesn't buy it, they are not enthusiasts.
Right, I am not an enthusiast because I don't want to buy a vehicle that I can never legally drive on the road. I have to be willing to move my family to Kansas to qualify as an enthusiast :lol:

@Mazd I see you still haven't updated your CL post to let potential buyers/victims know it can't be smogged in CA.

Right, I am not an enthusiast because I don't want to buy a vehicle that I can never legally drive on the road. I have to be willing to move my family to Kansas to qualify as an enthusiast :lol:

Never thought i'd be dealing with s
@Mazd I see you still haven't updated your CL post to let potential buyers/victims know it can't be smogged in CA.

Dude. Do you guys have lives? When someone is interested and they call, I tell them the specifics. Can you people seriously mind your own fxxxing business? I don't need permission or advice on how the hell to sell MY car. "Victim"? You people are the reason California is such a panzi state. Now, respectfully, Fxxx off!

That was priceless! At least those are funny. The idiots on here apparently have imaginary badges. Can't mind their own business. As if they are buying the car and I have not disclosed the truth. I explain IN DETAIL over the phone when SERIOUS people call. I do not say ANYWHERE in the ad that the car is smog legal lol. I simply don't say it isn't because I live in CA and don't really like advertising that on the internet. Fxxxing morons apparently don't get that. My favorite is that dip stick that wrote a long one calling me a liar. What a donkey. :deadhorse:

Your arrogance is astounding. You seriously want to sit there and pout about the law when you are CLEARLY trying to defraud someone.

If I were you, I'd think about backtracking right about now...

Ih8mudfraud.png

It seems you fail to realize this is a forum, not an auction or a classifieds site. As such, the community will chime in with their opinion to help each other. Calling people names who disagree with your representations will not endear you to anyone on here, or help you find a buyer. You would do well to simply state 'I'm not sure sure what is required to make this smog legal,' and leave it at that, as it would be concise, true and (most importantly) not misleading. If you dislike the nature of forums and their unsolicited opinions, consider sticking to CL or eBay; or, cross your fingers and hope Trump gets elected, then appeal to his fascist inclinations to have forums banned altogether.

It seems you fail to realize this is a forum, not an auction or a classifieds site. As such, the community will chime in with their opinion to help each other. Calling people names who disagree with your representations will not endear you to anyone on here, or help you find a buyer. You would do well to simply state 'I'm not sure sure what is required to make this smog legal,' and leave it at that, as it would be concise, true and (most importantly) not misleading. If you dislike the nature of forums and their unsolicited opinions, consider sticking to CL or eBay; or, cross your fingers and hope Trump gets elected, then appeal to his fascist inclinations to have forums banned altogether.

Your post says enough. I appreciate your concern and never said I don't know how to smog it. I said I don't care and never wanted to. There is always a way to make a car smog legal. I was asked why it wasn't. I explained that I did not care about it and I did not want to potentially lose power because of it. The more air restrictions you have, the more it affects power. Multiple mechanics and dyno tuners have told me the same, but clearly you and the other guy are more aware of the "facts".

The bottom line is that this is my car and I have not misrepresented a damn thing. I do not say that the car is smog legal. Smart guy said you can't smog it in Arizona...do you know that there are PLENTY of places in Arizona that still do not require smog?

It has been days since that post and I can't believe I am still wasting time. Forums ARE meant to help people...not to put them down and accuse them of
Your arrogance is astounding. You seriously want to sit there and pout about the law when you are CLEARLY trying to defraud someone.

If I were you, I'd think about backtracking right about now...

View attachment 1334598

Dude...you seriously are a moron. I have paperwork that it will be sold as an "off-road vehicle" in CA. I don't need to smog anything for that. You seriously have some mental problems and should have been a police officer. I don't need to backtrack anything lol. I have not lied or misrepresented a damn thing.

How the hell is this defrauding someone??? I even did state "not sure what else it needs" EVERYTHING I have stated below is true. EVERYTHING. So seriously, stop interfering with my ad / post. I'm starting to get fed up.

"When you do these unless you pretty much buy all the stock components that go with the motor, it is tough to smog. I didn't want it to smog either way because you loose power and don't have the fun aspect. It has short tube headers that are not CA smog legal. Besides that, not sure exactly what else it needs. As I said, didn't care. Was going to register it in Arizona or find a way to deal with it here. All kinds of possibilities.

The deal with the salvage title is a stupid one, but can't change it. Car was slightly damaged in 2009 in front right quarter panel. Insurance company used KBB value instead of market value which caused the repair to cost more than car was "worth". Body shop it was at ended up keeping the car and fully restored it. Car is clean and straight as an arrow. People go nuts for it. Constant thumbs up at shows and on the road.

Let me know if interested. Need her off my hands. Just had a kid and family expenses / priorities come first. Sucks, because I never got to enjoy her much."

Respectfully, this is complete BS. You are grossly misrepresenting the vehicle you are selling. I've sent you private messages in hopes that you properly (legally and honestly) represent this thing and that I would not have to publicly post this, but I can't take this BS anymore. You don't lose power on emissions - that's a lie. Your headers are not the problem - another lie. When you state "Tough to smog" - you should be stating "NOT remotely possible or legal in CA, NV, AZ, CO or anywhere else that performs a visual check." The only remotely honest thing you put is that you don't know what it needs.

You need to have a vehicle in the same weight class as the original, same year or newer. An engine from a 2500 will never be legal in a "light duty" vehicle. You need all the emissions components from a light duty vehicle including the exhaust to the end of the last catalytic converter. You need a factory air intake, or one with a CARB E.O. #, you need all of the functioning EVAP equipment including the canister, lines and canister purge mechanism. All of the emissions equipment must remain in the factory location.

It's not exceptionally complicated, the person you paid to do this was ignorant of the laws and built you a vehicle you can't sell or register in either state you lived in.

None of this is true. NONE. The "assurances" you gave regarding smog in CA or anywhere else are downright deceptive. This vehicle CANNOT be smogged in CA with this engine. Ever. You seriously need to rethink how you are advertising this thing, as your hurry to sell may earn you a subpoena from the new owner. And unlike Hillary, you can't delete this thread.

I just read this completely for the first time. First time I read it, the first few sentences pissed me off so much, I didn't even continue. I wish I read it then. You are genuinely a complete idiot. You are a person that thinks they know it all, but don't know their ass from a hole in the wall. The deceptive one is YOU pal. Literally everything you are saying is incorrect. I could go buy an e-rod motor tomorrow, slap it in and even get a sticker proving it is legal in CA. Has NOTHING to do with weight, etc. Perfect example is how people put the same or similar Chevy motors in Porsche 944's. I said I don't know and don't care to smog it. I wonder how ICON or TLC4x4 put these motors in their cars and don't have problems smogging them. HMMM...

Why do you think cars that are from Europe, Japan, etc. are not allowed in the country and have lower performance figures. Because CA laws restrict the performance of vehicles with all of the requirements. You act as if this is my first rodeo. I have been dealing with cars for YEARS. Next time you attack someone publicly, think twice and mind your own damn business.

You seriously need to get out and stop blowing your load in a sock in between posts.

People like you are the reason our country is in the shape that it is. Sad to say. Whoever believes this guy has all the right to, but he is only right about the "You need a factory air intake, or one with a CARB E.O. #, you need all of the functioning EVAP equipment including the canister, lines and canister purge mechanism. All of the emissions equipment must remain in the factory location." section. EVERYTHING else is 100% false and inaccurate.

(can't wait to see your pathetic response to this one so I can have a good laugh)

Shall we go point by point?:
  • You can't transfer a title in CA without a valid smog certificate.
  • You have a vehicle that will never pass emissions.
  • You state quite the opposite in your ad.
  • I sent you a private message informing you that your ad is deceptive
  • You ignore said advice and continue to mislead
  • Others ask you about the salvage title, and you continue to dance around the issue

You're being deceptive by either ignorance or maleficence. You can throw all the childish insults you want, it doesn't change the fact that you are being shady. Maybe you should have taken that wasted two minutes of time you used to pen that childish response and read the vehicle code.

Oh...and one more thing. You would be trusting a guy that put a mustang motor in his Land Cruiser. Yes...I repeat. A Mustang motor. I'm sure that was because he thought if he put a 5.3 or 6.0 V8, it wouldn't be "in the same weight class". LOLLLL

Wow, you are so ignorant. I don't live in California and even I know about the air resources board requirements.

Engine Change Guidelines

"Don't mix engine and vehicle classifications which will degrade the emissions certification standards. For example, a heavy-duty engine cannot be installed in a light-duty exhaust-controlled chassis even if they have the same displacement"

Wow, you are so ignorant. I don't live in California and even I know about the air resources board requirements.

Engine Change Guidelines

"Don't mix engine and vehicle classifications which will degrade the emissions certification standards. For example, a heavy-duty engine cannot be installed in a light-duty exhaust-controlled chassis even if they have the same displacement"

Ignorant? Why is it that if I went and bought an e-rod motor for $15,000 alone, I could install it with all of the required equipment and pass smog with flying colors? I PERSONALLY know MULTIPLE people that have. And if you don't live in CA why the hell are you getting involved? "To help others not be misrepresented"? lol Funny thing is NO one is being lied to. I am selling a VERY clean and well built car for pennies compared to what I have spent. I am done with the back and forth. Have fun...

I could go buy an e-rod motor tomorrow, slap it in and even get a sticker proving it is legal in CA. Has NOTHING to do with weight, etc.

e-Rods are permitted in CA only executive order that **specifically** exempts it from the class specification.
https://arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/devices/eo/D-126-30.pdf

This applies only to e-rods and not to **any** other class/chassis mismatches such as yours.

Last edited:
I really hate name calling, but at this point it is an objective assessment to say you are an avowed idiot. And, subjectively, it's somewhat mesmerizing to watch your mind work

e-Rods are permitted in CA only by a special executive order that **specifically** allows it to override the class specification.
https://arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/devices/eo/D-126-30.pdf

This applies only to e-rods and not to **any** other class/chassis mismatches such as yours.

Thanks for the education. This car can be smog compliant if the buyer prefers it to be. I didn't and don't care if it is. I said that from the beginning and maintain the position. It is MY car and I am selling it to whoever wants it. I am more than allowed to have a non-smogable vehicle in California as long as it is on Non-Operation or Off Road Use Only. I have had 5-6 people come to see the car and fall in love with it. Their last concern is not the smog issue...unfortunately, it has been "I need to talk it over with my wife and make a final decision".

I will eventually sell the car to someone that wants it and appreciates the car for what it is. I am no rush and it is not burning a hole in my pocket. Simply want the extra cash for a rainy day now that I have a newborn. I appreciate your input, but kindly ask that you and your buddy Ford Fascist, leave me alone. You have already caused enough damage and ruined my opportunity on this website. Your goal has been fulfilled.

I really hate name calling, but at this point it is an objective assessment to say you are an avowed idiot. And, subjectively, it's somewhat mesmerizing to watch your mind work

Glad another man can mesmerize you. I learned something when I was a kid..."the one who thinks they are smart, usually isn't" ;) You guys are not, but even if you were 100% correct, the fact is that you falsely and maliciously attacked me on this ad as if I said "100% smog legal and certified in CA. You are buying a smog compliant, fully operational, perfect car. It is right out of the dealer" Karma is a bitch. That is one thing I know for certain.

I just read this completely for the first time. First time I read it, the first few sentences pissed me off so much, I didn't even continue. I wish I read it then. You are genuinely a complete idiot. You are a person that thinks they know it all, but don't know their ass from a hole in the wall. The deceptive one is YOU pal. Literally everything you are saying is incorrect. I could go buy an e-rod motor tomorrow, slap it in and even get a sticker proving it is legal in CA. Has NOTHING to do with weight, etc. Perfect example is how people put the same or similar Chevy motors in Porsche 944's. I said I don't know and don't care to smog it. I wonder how ICON or TLC4x4 put these motors in their cars and don't have problems smogging them. HMMM...

Why do you think cars that are from Europe, Japan, etc. are not allowed in the country and have lower performance figures. Because CA laws restrict the performance of vehicles with all of the requirements. You act as if this is my first rodeo. I have been dealing with cars for YEARS. Next time you attack someone publicly, think twice and mind your own damn business.

You seriously need to get out and stop blowing your load in a sock in between posts.

People like you are the reason our country is in the shape that it is. Sad to say. Whoever believes this guy has all the right to, but he is only right about the "You need a factory air intake, or one with a CARB E.O. #, you need all of the functioning EVAP equipment including the canister, lines and canister purge mechanism. All of the emissions equipment must remain in the factory location." section. EVERYTHING else is 100% false and inaccurate.

(can't wait to see your pathetic response to this one so I can have a good laugh)

You know nothing of my political affiliations. That's a specious argument, since you lost on facts.

Just because you don't agree with a law, doesn't mean you get to break it without consequence. I find the smog laws in CA cumbersome, ridiculous and inefficient - however that doesn't mean I get to disobey them. You, as the seller have the legal obligation to smog a road-going vehicle. Period.

California cars have performance differences based on 91 octane fuel as an FYI, not from emissions differences. This is fairly common in most western states as a matter of fact

As stated earlier, E-Rod engines are specifically given an Executive Order which allows them to be swapped into vehicles. Incidentally, the 6.2L E-Rod engine application is the LS3 Camaro which in fact is a light duty vehicle.

Oh...and one more thing. You would be trusting a guy that put a mustang motor in his Land Cruiser. Yes...I repeat. A Mustang motor. I'm sure that was because he thought if he put a 5.3 or 6.0 V8, it wouldn't be "in the same weight class". LOLLLL

That's your comeback? Seriously, how old are you? I'm perplexed that a supposed adult would be this immature and irrational. Why don't you tack on a few emojis for extra emphasis while you're at it.

A Mustang and an FJ60 are the same weight class. For your reading entertainment: Vehicle Weight Classifications for the Emission Standards Reference Guide | Emission Standards Reference Guide for On-road and Nonroad Vehicles and Engines | US EPA

I've actually swapped in an emissions-legal 5.3 in another member's FJ62. Try again. The only 6.0Ls you can legally swap into a LC are LQ9s and LS2 / L7Xs as they are from light duty vehicles.

Thanks for the education. This car can be smog compliant if the buyer prefers it to be. I didn't and don't care if it is. I said that from the beginning and maintain the position. It is MY car and I am selling it to whoever wants it. I am more than allowed to have a non-smogable vehicle in California as long as it is on Non-Operation or Off Road Use Only. I have had 5-6 people come to see the car and fall in love with it. Their last concern is not the smog issue...unfortunately, it has been "I need to talk it over with my wife and make a final decision".

I will eventually sell the car to someone that wants it and appreciates the car for what it is. I am no rush and it is not burning a hole in my pocket. Simply want the extra cash for a rainy day now that I have a newborn. I appreciate your input, but kindly ask that you and your buddy Ford Fascist, leave me alone. You have already caused enough damage and ruined my opportunity on this website. Your goal has been fulfilled.

The whole point of this thread is that you failed to disclose you have a vehicle that will not pass smog in CA; and thus, is not street legal. In fact that's sugar coating it - you implied publicly and privately that this will pass smog and is street legal - when it is NOT.

If you "green sticker" this vehicle, it can not be driven on the highway or parked on any road. In many municipalities, it can't even be parked in your driveway. That may be something a prospective buyer would want to know.

When confronted with REALITY, you respond that "It's not your problem." Well buddy, IT IS YOUR PROBLEM.

Glad another man can mesmerize you. I learned something when I was a kid..."the one who thinks they are smart, usually isn't" ;) You guys are not, but even if you were 100% correct, the fact is that you falsely and maliciously attacked me on this ad as if I said "100% smog legal and certified in CA. You are buying a smog compliant, fully operational, perfect car. It is right out of the dealer" Karma is a bitch. That is one thing I know for certain.

What? The whole point of this ridiculous exchange is for you to make the proper disclosures and not defraud a potential buyer. Ignorance of the law is not an excuse.

Karma? Karma is posting an intentionally deceptive ad and getting caught. Try being honest when you sell something and see the response.

Last edited:
:popcorn: This is my new favorite thread on MUD.

Here's an idea. Delete this classified ad and start a new one that says "will not pass California emissions, heavy duty donor vehicle, so check your local laws before inquiring." I'm sorry, but not stating that upfront if you know it to be true IS deceptive. Simply stating in your ad to "call with questions if seriously interested" is a waste of both yours and prospective buyers' time. The law is the law, and what vehicle your donor engine came from DOES matter, even if the same motor was offered in a different light-duty application. I'm sure there are plenty of people in locations without emissions who would still be interested. It looks like a sweet truck.

Edit, also just a suggestion from a sales professional: nobody cares how much you spent on your lightbars, etc. Tallying your costs in an ad is a lousy sales approach. Just my $.02, even though you didn't ask. :)

Can't we all get along? Smile on your brother...everyone come together right now.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom