1984 HJ47 Troopy Restoration Build - A Retrospective (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Any idea how far towards the glass to trim the extra rubber?

Right up to the glass edge, or cut away further to the metal frame? I've already trimmed one side 'conservatively' to the edge of the glass.

Do you also put a dab of silicone on the top and bottom at the frame/glass/weatherstrip junction area?

IMG_1033.jpg
IMG_1034.jpg

Cross posting with my wanted thread in Classifieds - I can't one of find the 'stopper' parts that limits how far the vent window pivots.

Found!

Last edited:
I almost swapped the hood latches on the BJ45 today...just saying. The 40 series knuckle rebuild in progress took priorty!

Your level of progress on your troopy is awesome and making me sick!!!

@greenbeast

I think I'll be tackling the mechanical stuff over the winter at the slow pace the body/paint has been progressing. It did feel good to get something done today too.

A rare bit of troopy kit arrived yesterday, sourced by @FJ40GURU

It's a rubber trim piece (part 63393-90801) that attaches to the interior rain gutter lip along the roof. It cleaned up beautifully with just some dishwashing soap and some elbow grease with a microfiber cloth. It took about an hour all together - not bad as it's over 18.5 feet long!

Troopy Trim 63393-90801.jpg
IMG_1051.jpg
IMG_1052.jpg
IMG_1054.jpg

It's a rubber trim piece (part 63393-90801) that attaches to the interior rain gutter lip along the roof. It cleaned up beautifully with just some dishwashing soap and some elbow grease with a microfiber cloth. It took about an hour all together - not bad as it's over 18.5 feet long!

View attachment 2388220View attachment 2388221View attachment 2388222View attachment 2388223
It’s a pleasure to be a small part of another project, Joule. Thanks for sharing.

I am very excited about another rare piece from @FJ40GURU that arrived yesterday- the LX triple wiper linkage! Since my windshield frame in still in primer at the shop, now would be the time to do the triple wiper conversion.

I found a number of triple wiper threads here on MUD, but none (that I found) contained any of the measurements of the linkage differences and the hole spacing on the windshield frame. I'll update this thread with some conversion pictures and spacing measurements when the time comes.

Below is my '84 wiper linkage along side the LX triple wiper linkage. Feel free to request additional/specific linkage measurements if needed.

IMG_1058.jpg
IMG_1060.jpg
IMG_1061.jpg
IMG_1062.jpg

View attachment 2388220View attachment 2388221View attachment 2388222View attachment 2388223
Hi @HJ47, I have an identical HJ47RV-KCQ, be it that it is Nebula Green. Enjoy reading your progress. Could you post a picture of where this rubber ends? Mine seems to end just behind the B pillar (halfway between the dome light and seat belt bracket). Your’s too?

image.jpg

With the activity rate on this forum I actually missed this thread first time.... Great read and thanks for the honesty when momentarily great ideas slowly go bad, we all do it and wallow in self frustration!
Full respect to other members who helped you out, not so much the case for me as a newbie to Portugal 😂

Hi @HJ47, I have an identical HJ47RV-KCQ, be it that it is Nebula Green. Enjoy reading your progress. Could you post a picture of where this rubber ends? Mine seems to end just behind the B pillar (halfway between the dome light and seat belt bracket). Your’s too?

View attachment 2541874

Hello. Sorry, I've been away over the holidays and not online here. My troopy still apart as it waits for paint and slot time at the body shop. I don't have this rubber piece even close to getting installed.

However, the gap you have looks about right from the pics I've seen. There is are a pair of plastic trim pieces meant to close the gap on each side. Here a is pick of one, but I've never seen one in person. Hope you are well and thanks for commenting!

$_35.JPG

I am very excited about another rare piece from @FJ40GURU that arrived yesterday- the LX triple wiper linkage! Since my windshield frame in still in primer at the shop, now would be the time to do the triple wiper conversion.

I found a number of triple wiper threads here on MUD, but none (that I found) contained any of the measurements of the linkage differences and the hole spacing on the windshield frame. I'll update this thread with some conversion pictures and spacing measurements when the time comes.

Below is my '84 wiper linkage along side the LX triple wiper linkage. Feel free to request additional/specific linkage measurements if needed.

View attachment 2388860View attachment 2388861View attachment 2388862View attachment 2388863
How did the triple wiper conversion work out?

@tstepp920

Unfortunately, the triple wiper work is still pending. I will post measurements and process when it gets rolling again.

Hello. Sorry, I've been away over the holidays and not online here. My troopy still apart as it waits for paint and slot time at the body shop. I don't have this rubber piece even close to getting installed.

However, the gap you have looks about right from the pics I've seen. There is are a pair of plastic trim pieces meant to close the gap on each side. Here a is pick of one, but I've never seen one in person. Hope you are well and thanks for commenting!

View attachment 2563190

Five years ago had a 84 HJ47RV from Australia show up in a wrecking yards it had the trim strip around the top and the trim pieces on the ends. The strip extended under the trim pieces. There is also push pins at locations around the top. Pretty sure the holes for the push pins fit in the hard top sides and header on the back. The troopy landed on the right side in the accident. Think one or two of the push pins were missing and one end trim piece had small piece missing. Thought is was cool and grabbed it for a build.

Josh’s old rig! @Chamba not sure if he’s on here much anymore!
He’s not. When he moved to FL he sold Lexie (his FJ40LX) and has zero cruisers. He keeps trying to convince me that his keep is super cool, but I’m skeptical….

🤣🤣

Dan

View attachment 2541874
Nice Troopy build @HJ47. Don't want to hijack but I thought you or @Bas Zuidberg might be able to post a photo of the plastic cover blank that goes on the opposite side pillar of the interior light? Mine is missing and it would be nice to have any details you can as they are NLA and a bit difficult to find.

Nice Troopy build @HJ47. Don't want to hijack but I thought you or @Bas Zuidberg might be able to post a photo of the plastic cover blank that goes on the opposite side pillar of the interior light? Mine is missing and it would be nice to have any details you can as they are NLA and a bit difficult to find.

Here is a ban pic of the plug from my 1983 Troopy

6273E881-8637-46F7-9890-B4966C0F2C69.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom