Builds 1979 FJ40 Preservation-ish Project (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have been patiently waiting for my front axle to get back from the powder shop next door. (11 weeks)
front axle powder coat.jpg

Unfortunately the front axle is going back because the drain plug collar was not properly sand blasted. Prep. is key to proper adhesion.
bad powder prep.jpg

Last edited:
All Toyota silver, I did not replate the hardware that came with thread locker preapplied. At some point Toyota switched from gold zink to silver, but I generally prefer the gold because it is more corrosion resistant. I mixed and matched a little.

No gasket, I only use Toyota 1281 FIPG….
Oh boy. I weep for the next person servicing the rear axle. I just dealt with two separate trucks with that, very unpleasant to say it nicely.

Any reason you don’t use the cork gasket and flat gasket for diff? Only ask because it makes removal so much easier and doesn’t require a chisel or similar to remove.

Using only FIPG seems to be the best way to keep the diff from leaking. I always have an extra tube of FIPG with my tools, and I have never had any problems.

I use a razor blade to separate the cover/3rd from the axle. I like to pull the studs first. Maybe a little floorjack on the pinion for assistance

Using only FIPG seems to be the best way to keep the diff from leaking. I always have an extra tube of FIPG with my tools, and I have never had any problems.

I use a razor blade to separate the cover/3rd from the axle. I like to pull the studs first. Maybe a little floorjack on the pinion for assistance

Hopefully it will never get removed again is the way I look at it….

There's a reason OEs went away from paper and cork/cork-composite gaskets and moved to sealants and o-ring type gaskets. The latter group flat-out seals better. BUT, I totally agree on FIPG's PITA status once that joint is involved in a service event.

x2 for that rear axle looking sharp. The OCD in me wants to peel away the FIPG the squeezed out.

Nice work. I used rubber gloves and just applied a thin layer of black FIPG to both sides of the cork gasket and installed. It has not leaked yet and has had gear oil sitting on it for a year.

I don't think either really matters. I've used FIPG in the top of wine bottles instead of that plug it comes with. No wine spillage.

Kidding aside - looks awesome @OPMACHINE

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom