Builds 1979 FJ40 Preservation-ish Project (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I am scratching my head trying to figure out how Valley Hybrids/Cruiser Brothers managed to take the speedometer housing seal bore down to 18mm and make room for a second seal? Looks like I would be milling air at around 14mm. Maybe they turn down the seal?

Probably time to leave it to the professionals and just buy one of there modified housings.
speedometer housing.jpg

I am scratching my head trying to figure out how Valley Hybrids/Cruiser Brothers managed to take the speedometer housing seal bore down to 18mm and make room for a second seal? Looks like I would be milling air at around 14mm. Maybe they turn down the seal?

Probably time to leave it to the professionals and just buy one of there modified housings.
View attachment 3084000
Georg (@orangefj45) Valley Hybrid doesn't turn down the seal, just the housing. His kit does include new allen bolts and seals. It's definitely the price though.

Looking at his thread, Looks like there are two different housing designs.

I ordered the kit from Cruiser Brothers

View attachment 3084000

We utilize a different seal ( sane OD and ID but not as tall ). 😉

Georg @ Valley Hybrids @ Cruiser Brothers

Georg (@orangefj45) Valley Hybrid doesn't turn down the seal, just the housing. His kit does include new allen bolts and seals. It's definitely the price though.

I’m not sure what you mean by “it’s definitely the price though”?!

Our kits include:
Cleaned/blasted/machined/painted housing
2 new seals installed
New gasket
New Speedo o-rings ( inner snd outer )
New stake nut
2 new drain/fill plug crush washers
Allen bolts and lock washers for e-brake backing plate.

Shop 209-475-8808
Sales@valleyhybrids.com

Our kits include:
2 new seals installed
New gasket
New stake nut

Shop 209-475-8808
Sales@valleyhybrids.com
I suspect he left out the word "worth" - "its definitely worth the price though"

Our kits include:
2 new seals installed
New gasket
New stake nut

Shop 209-475-8808
Sales@valleyhybrids.com

I suspect he left out the word "worth" - "its definitely worth the price though"
@EWheeler, has my back. ;) It's hard to type on a phone.

I still have original on mine.
I could measure it for you to see if you can rig something together.View attachment 3012800

You're searching for 90480-08343, tube grommet. About $5 from Toyota.

EDIT: I saw you were asking about it - who said it was discontinued? I received some recently....?

I am going to figure this out!

New Auburn LSD and bearings going in the rear. I am also going open up the front 3rd and reset the pinion bearing preload properly vs trying to get away with swapping the pinion seal only.
AUBURN lsd AND BEARING KIT.jpg

I feel like there is some ''black magic'' around setting up a 3rd that has always scared me away. Here we go, lean in.

If your using the same set of gears, you won't have to set pinion depth. That eases the work load.

Perfect opportunity to teach yourself to set up since, as pb4ugo states, pinion depth is unaffected. Also, no silly shims to stack and struggle with pulling bearings on and off.

Since you have used gears, aim to set the backlash to the tightest spec and you will be good to go. You will feel the difference with your hand between the numerically lower vs the numerically higher spec.
I am going to figure this out!

New Auburn LSD and bearings going in the rear. I am also going open up the front 3rd and reset the pinion bearing preload properly vs trying to get away with swapping the pinion seal only.
View attachment 3094325

I feel like there is some ''black magic'' around setting up a 3rd that has always scared me away. Here we go, lean in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom