1978 fj40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys, I am new to the forum. I was wondering where the best place would be to ask questions about doing a fj40 restoration. i am trying to get as much information as I can before I start (won't be for a few years).

2F engine, H42 trans, 4.1 axles, van body fj40...

Welcome to the forum....Here is the FJ40 section of FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) -> click here <-

Also, use of the 'search' function can be helpful as well. If you can't find what you are looking for, ask away!

IMG_1266.png
IMG_1259.png
IMG_1265.png
IMG_1272.PNG

Thanks for the welcome everyone! Well, here's my rig. I bought it off a hippie here in good 'ol Moab. The pictures above are from baby Lions back. I've done quite a few trails in it. Still trying to decide on a name (open to suggestions or ideas; preferably something feminine). I put a battery in this thing after it had been sitting for about 10 years and it started almost instantly; pretty incredible. After a few fluid changes and a cooling system flush it was off to the races. I am probably just going to enjoy it until the 2F gradually loses compression.
I guess I would like to start by asking this: What do you guys wish you would have done differently when you restored your rigs? Details? Regrets? I will be doing most of the work myself so any general advice or warnings would be helpful.

(forgot to mention I did get a new set of all terrain 33s for it). I will also make sure I check around the other forums to look up as much as I can.

whatever you do don't paint it
I like the patina look too. I don't think I will paint it; just go through it mechanically; which is funny because it doesn't need much right now. The panel below the right rear ambulance door is rusted out(What is that called?), but thats really all the sheet metal that needs to be patched up. I hear most of them rust out there first.

I like the patina look too. I don't think I will paint it; just go through it mechanically; which is funny because it doesn't need much right now. The panel below the right rear ambulance door is rusted out(What is that called?), but thats really all the sheet metal that needs to be patched up. I hear most of them rust out there first.

Look around for posts about using CLR and linseed oil to keep the rust from getting any worse. Welcome.

Don't hold your breath about the 2f going bad. ;) Do a Seafoam treatment (with a good respirator on, expect more smoke than you have ever seen). Buy a carb core and send it out to get rebuilt by JimC. Do the plugs, wires and dizzy cap. Spend the $1k to do all of the hoses. Take the original radiator to a good shop that will "rod it out".

Use OEM parts wherever you can.

Treat the rust and protect the patina! That thing is beautiful.

Look around for posts about using CLR and linseed oil to keep the rust from getting any worse. Welcome.

Don't hold your breath about the 2f going bad. ;) Do a Seafoam treatment (with a good respirator on, expect more smoke than you have ever seen). Buy a carb core and send it out to get rebuilt by JimC. Do the plugs, wires and dizzy cap. Spend the $1k to do all of the hoses. Take the original radiator to a good shop that will "rod it out".

Thanks! I will put those things on the to do!

Great truck and story. I have had my '78 since 1990 and one smart thing I did was keep every part I ever took off, replaced, or changed. This allowed me to go back and rehab something later that perhaps wasn't really broken, or review a kludge from the PO. Parts are a lot rarer now, so some of these take-off bits are very nice to have, years later. I would focus on making your truck reliable, along the lines of being sure the brakes and clutch hydraulics are rock solid and tuning it up such that it won't leave you stranded. Your stock truck is very capable just as it sits. I would avoid jacking it up and hacking it up.

The important thing you are doing is USING your truck and making memories. Without that, you might as well be driving an S-10 Chevy.

Who is JimC the carb guy? I have one I would like to get done. Thanks!

Congrats and welcome. Looks and sounds like a great rig. The hippie’s loss is your gain for sure (and I have nothing against hippies :) ). Enjoy it!!!

@65swb45 also does excellent OEM carb rebuilds and is a great source of reliable/practical information.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom