1978 BJ45 - Knuckle is different configuration.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Joined
Jan 18, 2026
Threads
1
Messages
2
Location
Venice, FL
Knuckle configuration has steering arm incorporated in Knuckle casting. Anyone have experience with this . This 45 was imported from Columbia with very little documentation or modification history. Motor is B14 with 5 speed. Front has factory disc brakes. I'm trying to rebuild the knuckles and replace the spindle bushing, but having a hard time sourcing . Any help is greatly appreciated.
 
Sounds like nothing is original.....not that you've given us anything other than it's a 45. Photos, year, etc. would be pretty helpful. Pretty sure there's no such thing as "steering arm incorporated in knuckle casting". Maybe it just looks that way.
 
Knuckle configuration has steering arm incorporated in Knuckle casting. Anyone have experience with this . This 45 was imported from Columbia with very little documentation or modification history. Motor is B14 with 5 speed. Front has factory disc brakes. I'm trying to rebuild the knuckles and replace the spindle bushing, but having a hard time sourcing . Any help is greatly appreciated.

big surprise, almost all work done from central/south American imports is questionable
as stated above, without pics we are all just guessing as to what you have
 
Sounds like nothing is original.....not that you've given us anything other than it's a 45. Photos, year, etc. would be pretty helpful. Pretty sure there's no such thing as "steering arm incorporated in knuckle casting". Maybe it just looks that way.

IMG_0342.webp


IMG_0338.webp
 
Well the explains why you can’t find Toyota parts that fit.
Seeing the ring gear in the background is an indicator the entire axle is not Toyota.
How about some pictures of the rest of the vehicle, rear axle, etc?
 
So when asking for help year (month) model market helps. So do good pic's!

Free manuals downloads

Coolerman's wiring diagram and parts

Lots of good vendors in the list up top. There is a classified forum for wanted and selling stuff.

I like the pic's and application date on SOR.com online catalogue, tho it is some what hard to use. Their shipping prices are high but they are knowledgeable, and honest. I have bought stuff from several of the vendors, plus Amoron and Eboy as well as local places like craigslist.

If you search correctly almost every issue a land cruiser can have has been resolved here.
I have had my 72 FST 40 since 82. I am the 8th owner. Previous owners don't always do good work or use good parts, so you can and will find almost anything.
 
As far as I'm aware, not many (if any at all) Central American BJ45s came with 'factory' disc brakes - ie: installed by Mr Toyoda himself at Toyoda City. But many were fitted with them over the next 40+ years.

When I lived in Panama, I saw disc brakes from Dyna trucks, axles from Nissan Patrols (which is what this looks like) and even saw one 40 with an I beam front axle without a differential at all just so it had disc brakes.

A great modification is 60 series axles: 3" wider for more stability, 3.70 diff ratio in the States, easy to get parts for. The rear is very easy to install: move the spring perches outboard 1.5". The front requires outboarding the spring hangars, but it's well worth the effort. I did this on my LX and was blown away by the improvement of road manners. The wider track allows her to follow the ruts in the road rather than hopping from the left to the right ruts.

There are threads about the axle swaps here on Mud.

Obviously swapping on factory 40 series axles would be easier, but they are becoming harder to come by.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom