For Sale 1976 Toyota FJ40 $11,000 Charlotte, NC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The time has come after almost 19 years for me to sell my 1976 Toyota Landcruiser. A new baby and busier life have taken my time away from her. It’s time for someone else to enjoy her another 20 years. You would be the third owner.

She has the stronger and bigger 2F engine with 77,772 miles on her. The engine is in perfect working order and overall she has no leaks. She runs smooth and shifting her 4 speed transmission is easy. She does have a newly rebuilt OEM carburetor from cruiserparts.net and installed by the great folks at Toyota Tech in Fort Mill, South Carolina. Give them a call and talk to Johnny if you’d like a second opinion. Her front disk brakes work excellently (drum in the rear). There is very little rust on her original body considering how old she is, but I’m sure having her garaged the entire time I’ve owned her has helped. See photos for examples of how little I’m talking about including a tree branch scrape. Her Tub is in great shape. The only spot that has been repaired is an approximate 8 inch by 8 inch patch on the driver side floor board. She has never been in any kind of accident. Title is clear. The fenders are uncut and I’ve never taken the hardtop off. I’m guessing the top was off once because she was painted before I got her (original color was mustard yellow). The original seats have been reupholstered and the original console is still there under the newer console. The rear paratrooper seats are all original. She does not have A/C but the heater works like a charm. She has 8” x 10” speakers in the doors with a CD player in the console. CB Radio is there and still hooked up too (remember I’ve had her for almost 19 years so cell phones were mostly non existent). She has a 3” lift with Old Man Emu Steering Stablizer. Nerf Bars are from Spector Off Road as is the front brush bar, leather steering wheel cover, and passenger grab bar. 4 Wheel drive never fails either. Roll bars are all original too. The tires are 33” BF Goodrich Mud Terrain with 90% of the tread left. She has all her original emblems and interior vinyl toyota mats. No leaks in the roof and everything on the instrument panel works including the windshield wipers.

Overall, she is one fine machine or I would not have kept her so long. She was once a daily driver but now is used occasionally on the weekends (when it’s not raining of course). She is not perfect or fully restored, but if you’re looking for a solid, reliable head turner...you’ve found your vehicle. If you want to spend big bucks for a total restoration... go for it. She doesn’t need to be restored as she’s fine the way she is. I’ve had many good times and great memories with her. It’s somebody’s else’s turn now.

You can view more photos at:
1976 Toyota FJ40

Thanks for looking.
landcruiser.jpg
1976 Toyota FJ40 (5 of 29).jpg

Your wife is spotting rigs for you! Nice work!

She even knows the difference in a 40, 45, 60, 80 ect!

I did not mean to throw this into a train wreck. I just posted to let people know that I saw it in person and looked like a decent truck and that it is now in Richmond Va not NC.

And to provide clarity, flipping cars with open titles IS illegal...I hope nobody here falls victim to a curbstoner/flipper. For future reference try to keep in mind that car dealers purchase a product and then resell said product for a profit. While that is a concept you may have trouble grasping, it is quite different from Joe the Curbstoner buying a 40 with no license, leaving the title open and reselling it without paying Uncle Sam first while leaving the original seller liable should an accident or the like occur.

No one said flipping cars is illegal, haha.
You have even tried to flip 14 cruisers on Mud alone.

IH8MUD Forum - Search Results

And you always post in peoples for sale thread telling them their price is too high or low balling them. I can show you the posts if you want me to on this forum and others.

strong work right there :cheers:

I remember reading the "licensed" dealer's carefully crafted explanation on the 97 lx450 deal and subsequent flip :flipoff2:

Showing up in person before anyone else does, as he says, increases the odds. Nothing illegal bout it. But that sure as hell doesn't make it right.

Man, this thread took off. I'm the original seller. I already mentioned that the buyer can do as he wishes but using my exact advertisement, my photos, and giving out my actual link to more photos on my photo archiving site was wrong. And yes, as someone else mentioned, I thought she (the cruiser) was going to someone who appreciated them, and I didn't care to fight tooth and nail for top dollar. I didn't "need" the money. On a side note, the guy said something was "wrong" with the title. Don't know if he just said that to get me to quiet down or what (not that I was being loud at all... I just called him out on the items mentioned above). So, you folks that have more experience selling vehicles... He ended up saying via email that the title numbers dont match with DMV. It is a good title... I've had it for almost 19 years... I think I discovered what he might have been referring too...I called my DMV... My home state where the vehicle is titled no longer "titles" 1976 vehicles and older so I'm guessing records might be hard to find...don't know... I think his DMV would go outside, inspect the vehicle, look at a bill of sell and process the paperwork....he said he'd get back with me in 2 to 4 weeks which was the timeframe given to him by his DMV. He did say that he thought I didn't know there could be an issue. Is he playing a game... What's he getting at? Is this some more experienced car dealer scare tactic?

Man, this thread took off. I'm the original seller. I already mentioned that the buyer can do as he wishes but using my exact advertisement, my photos, and giving out my actual link to more photos on my photo archiving site was wrong. And yes, as someone else mentioned, I thought she (the cruiser) was going to someone who appreciated them, and I didn't care to fight tooth and nail for top dollar. I didn't "need" the money. On a side note, the guy said something was "wrong" with the title. Don't know if he just said that to get me to quiet down or what (not that I was being loud at all... I just called him out on the items mentioned above). So, you folks that have more experience selling vehicles... He ended up saying via email that the title numbers dont match with DMV. It is a good title... I've had it for almost 19 years... I think I discovered what he might have been referring too...I called my DMV... My home state where the vehicle is titled no longer "titles" 1976 vehicles and older so I'm guessing records might be hard to find...don't know... I think his DMV would go outside, inspect the vehicle, look at a bill of sell and process the paperwork....he said he'd get back with me in 2 to 4 weeks which was the timeframe given to him by his DMV. He did say that he thought I didn't know there could be an issue. Is he playing a game... What's he getting at? Is this some more experienced car dealer scare tactic?

He is no experienced dealer, but there could be an issue with the title if it was signed incorrectly. It could be a number of things, also depends on the state it was issued from and what state end buyer is registering to. If the title was legit and you signed it correctly it burden lies on him, not you. Keep the bill of sale as proof you no longer are the owner.

Let's not forget how you bought a truck out from underneath another Mudder and then sold it for what, a $10K profit a few days later. So in my book you're not only a flipper, you're a scumbag car dealer.

Here's the link...

https://forum.ih8mud.com/vehicles-trailers-sale-wanted/600168-1997-lx-450-w-62k-10-500-a.html

Sent from my iPad using IH8MUD

PM me your info and i'll make sure to add you to my "Should this guy defy the 5 percent odds of ever buying a LC from a licensed dealer, there is a 0 percent chance it will be me" list.

WNCruiser said:
PM me your info and i'll make sure to add you to my "Should this guy defy the 5 percent odds of ever buying a LC from a licensed dealer, there is a 0 percent chance it will be me" list.

WNCruiser, you really need to quit hijacking everyone's for sale listings. Your last 3 posts are useless. And you REALLY need to get off your high horse. you are not a real car dealer. you may be licensed, but all you are is a website that never gets updated and a parking lot with old cars sitting on it. get over yourself. Contact my parents if you want to know what a very very successful career in sales is really like. You might just learn that getting into little fights with people over the internet isn't a good move.

Good luck selling this cruiser man. Its making me get some crazy ideas that are very unhealthy to the bank account haha ;)

WNCruiser, you really need to quit hijacking everyone's for sale listings. Your last 3 posts are useless. And you REALLY need to get off your high horse. you are not a real car dealer. you may be licensed, but all you are is a website that never gets updated and a parking lot with old cars sitting on it. get over yourself. Contact my parents if you want to know what a very very successful career in sales is really like. You might just learn that getting into little fights with people over the internet isn't a good move.

Good luck selling this cruiser man. Its making me get some crazy ideas that are very unhealthy to the bank account haha ;)

Please, tell me some more about my business and who my end users really are. The lot and website are for projects that dont tie up $. 8 of 10 cars I buy you will never know about, nor would your Mommy and Daddy because they are not advertised and never make it to my lot. I supply cars to buyers all over the world with little to no overhead and no floorplan. But you, (or your Mommy and Daddy rather) already knew that too, right?

Read the thread again. I take all the unprovoked potshots from the haters while trying to help a fellow mudder with an issue that could arise legally should he make a wrong move. Not once did I bash a price or a rig on this thread. Im ok with you not agreeing with what I do. Again, my door is always open and you know where I am should you stomach up the courage to discuss your beef face to face rather than hiding behind your keyboard and throwing dirtclods from afar....man up or stop talking about things you know nothing about.

Thank goodness some members and normal people in general do appriecate someone giving sound advice from an insider when help is asked for. But rather than bickering with all you internet tough guys on a thead where the vehicle is sold, if the OP wants more help on this potentially sketchy matter I suggest he PM me and I can give him my # if he needs more help. Nothing else to see here mods.

WNCruiser said:
Please, tell me some more about my business and who my end users really are. The lot and website are for projects that dont tie up $. 8 of 10 cars I buy you will never know about, nor would your Mommy and Daddy because they are not advertised and never make it to my lot. I supply cars to buyers all over the world with little to no overhead and no floorplan. But you, (or your Mommy and Daddy rather) already knew that too, right?

Read the thread again. I take all the unprovoked potshots from the haters while trying to help a fellow mudder with an issue that could arise legally should he make a wrong move. Not once did I bash a price or a rig on this thread. Im ok with you not agreeing with what I do. Again, my door is always open and you know where I am should you stomach up the courage to discuss your beef face to face rather than hiding behind your keyboard and throwing dirtclods from afar....man up or stop talking about things you know nothing about.

Thank goodness some members and normal people in general do appriecate someone giving sound advice from an insider when help is asked for. But rather than bickering with all you internet tough guys on a thead where the vehicle is sold, if the OP wants more help on this potentially sketchy matter I suggest he PM me and I can give him my # if he needs more help. Nothing else to see here mods.

There's a few small differences between your little car lot and kinds of things my "mommy and daddy" sell haha. And because of those differences, I'm 20 years old and am a very very blessed individual.
Now, I have been to your lot, about 5 months ago, I was looking for a 60 series. Too bad we couldn't get into it because I didn't know what kind of dick you are. I even called a few weeks later asking about a 60 that had been online for quite some time. The guy that answered, probably you, said it had been gone and then tried to get me to look into whatever crap 60 they were trying to get rid of for 12 or 15000. Lol
Super sorry to have offended your world encompassing business.

Let's help the op out WN and keep his for sale thread up at the top and entertain everyone with our little feud... Or you could start a thread in chat titled, "who hates me" :D

There's a few small differences between your little car lot and kinds of things my "mommy and daddy" sell haha. And because of those differences, I'm 20 years old and am a very very blessed individual.
Now, I have been to your lot, about 5 months ago, I was looking for a 60 series. Too bad we couldn't get into it because I didn't know what kind of dick you are. I even called a few weeks later asking about a 60 that had been online for quite some time. The guy that answered, probably you, said it had been gone and then tried to get me to look into whatever **** 60 they were trying to get rid of for 12 or 15000. Lol
Super sorry to have offended your world encompassing business.

Let's help the op out WN and keep his for sale thread up at the top and entertain everyone with our little feud... Or you could start a thread in chat titled, "who hates me" :D

I have no doubt in my mind the vehicle you were interested in was sold. And in your 20 years of having a PHD (Papa hadda dealership) in the car business I'm sure you really mastered the biz at every level imaginable...its so obvious, truly an insider you are. I don't doubt for one second that you are lying when saying you had a very blessed upbringing. I imagine it was so "special".

Kudos to those that wielded the seed of such an amazing 20 year with such a vast knowledge in market conditions, exporting laws, auction trends, targeting end users, other marketing and all in all ability to "Begin with the End in Mind"...Steven Covey would be proud of you, son.

It may have been myself you spoke with in person or on the phone but that is doubtful, or at the least, forgettable as I don't remember the conversation. Believe it or not, other people buy cars too and its so hard to remember every person.. Obviously, CUSTOMER SERVICE IS OUR QUALITY/Job #1 rule....or....if maybe all I care about is doing wholesale, I can pass that wine and cheese approach and pass the savings along to you, should Mommy or Daddy up your allowance to fit something other than one of my sled 60 series? 100s are where its at, go for it...hit um up...tell them you saw a REALLY sweet rig at some super cool event and that YOU WANT ONE.

And when I part out 4-60 series, 2-80's, 2-40's and a 2h smoker H55 on a 62 frame, please mention your handle to receive your "special" pricing.

Last edited:
WNCruiser said:
Thank you. One of my better scores. Snooze, you lose.

There you go, being a douche bag again.

Thank you. One of my better scores. Snooze, you lose.

WNC, please continue to reply so that more people can see how "good" of a business man you are. :lol:

Ha, seems like all he does is provide useless comments that turn into battles and end up loading threads with a bunch of bs. I surprised a mod hasnt taken notice to this. Trunk monkey where are you?

WNCruiser said:
100s are where its at, go for it...hit um up...tell them you saw a REALLY sweet rig at some super cool event and that YOU WANT ONE.

Haha all I gotta say is I don't feel safe in this truck with no airbags and yeah, I'd probably be in a 200 by the end of the week haha. But where's the fun in that.
And please, quit pm-ing me telling me how nice of a guy you are in real life. It's getting kinda weird, I'm not looking for a date.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom