Builds 1964 FJ45 SWB Resto (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I've got the #'s out in the shop, but not venturing out at -15F tonight, I'm staying inside nice and warm
I'll get them for you tommorrow.
Paul

He hasn’t been on mud for a couple years now but good part numbers

Took the body off tonight. Flipped the frame over to look at the tire carrier. I set the one Blackcat borrowed me in place. Seems odd protruding past the bumper. Is this for something else?
16427392730804667474850395661626.jpg
16427393561392302926089659452092.jpg

16427390992092542515731228382367.jpg

Last edited:
Kev, that is correct, there is no bed overhang on a shorty, but the lwb has some overhang. I think this is why its longer on a shortbed.( the rear frames are the same dimensions for long and short beds.

Kev, that is correct, there is no bed overhang on a shorty, but the lwb has some overhang. I think this is why its longer on a shortbed.( the rear frames are the same dimensions for long and short beds.
I will take some more pictures tomorrow. I will mock the original one I have. It seems to be dimensionality similar. But there weren't any handles present, that part was hacked off on mine. If someone has a photo of what the configuration of a SWB is I would appreciate it.

KevO

From a practical standpoint it seems reasonable to have the handles sticking out past the bed otherwise you’d have to kneel down to lower/raise it (from your knees) and it won’t be light with a tire/wheel on it. 🤷‍♂️

My early ‘63 SWB fixed top not only has the holes and bracket for the rear tub spare mount (which is what I reinstalled) but also the hinge mount brackets on the rear tube crossmember and the holdup/lock bracket on the rear cross member for the under bed spare rack. Another one of those transition year things 😆.

From a practical standpoint it seems reasonable to have the handles sticking out past the bed otherwise you’d have to kneel down to lower/raise it (from your knees) and it won’t be light with a tire/wheel on it. 🤷‍♂️

My early ‘63 SWB fixed top not only has the holes and bracket for the rear tub spare mount (which is what I reinstalled) but also the hinge mount brackets on the rear tube crossmember and the holdup/lock bracket on the rear cross member for the under bed spare rack. Another one of those transition year things 😆.
It makes sense to have the handles to lift but there must be a design change for the short bed. Still searching to find some more info and pictures. Your 45's dual tire capability is an interesting point.

Kevin, I can tell you this. My swb was missing the tire carrier when I got it. About two years after my resto, I was fortunate enough to acquire a lwb that had one.
I harvested the carrier from it and bolted it straight up onto the swb.
So I always assumed there was only one size.

Kevin, I can tell you this. My swb was missing the tire carrier when I got it. About two years after my resto, I was fortunate enough to acquire a lwb that had one.
I harvested the carrier from it and bolted it straight up onto the swb.
So I always assumed there was only one size.
So the carrier lift handles do protrude from under the bumper ?

Well I'll be! I'm still going to proceed with making up the stock tire carriers. But for mine I will trim it shy of poking out from under the bumper and use snap springs so I can remove and stow the handle. Still going to make them OEM correct but they will have the option of expanding the tire capacity. How big? To be determined....

Last edited:
Does it even fit between the shackle hangers?

Does it even fit between the shackle hangers?
Not really... trying to fit 5 lbs of sugar in a 3 lb bag. Could accommodate a larger tire but it would have to hang down further.

Last edited:
48B1279B-541B-4D97-A6AE-87FDFF188BE4.jpeg

Had the garage door open a little while ago AND remembered to snap a pic. Stock RK3 on the carrier, which is something like 28.5”. Looks to be about one inch left on each diagonal for a tire that would still fit between the rails.

Another angle in case you find it useful
33DB2F32-AD7D-4308-B410-EDF927CD7F96.jpeg

Downsized the file, and of course Woody’s algorithms HAD to rotate the pic! :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom