1963 FJ45 SWB (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello
Newer to this site but wanted to share my new rig just added to collection.
Great original patina rig. Runs and drive great, need to put new tires on and start cruising it.

Looking for help to see how original this FJ45 really is. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I added a few pictures.

Thoughts should this be restored or left original?

Thanks in advance..
Jon

Photo Feb 03 2023, 3 26 28 PM.jpg

Photo Feb 16 2023, 12 01 00 PM.jpg

Photo Feb 16 2023, 11 59 12 AM.jpg

Photo Feb 16 2023, 12 00 26 PM (1).jpg

Photo Feb 16 2023, 11 59 40 AM.jpg

having spent the time "restoring" aka "restomodding" two FJ45's no way would i paint one again.. Do the Nolen clean up on the body.. I would however make it driveable and safe.. i hate OEM early 60's technology, brakes, steering, etc.. spend the $ making it safe and easier to drive.. I hope your short.. cause they are little inside.. even tighter when they are fixed tops.. you can go "Up" with the seat and gain a little room but with the big ol school bus steering wheel you will be into your knees soon.. There is a cool 4 on the tree thing that is coming along if you "restomod" it to a 4speed. Personally i think a true "restoration" is a waste of time.. Spend a ton of money making something period correct only to never drive it again? What's the point.. You will get tons of opinions on what to do with your truck.. in the end it is your truck and do with it what ever you want..

Nice Cruiser. Looks original, only thing so far that's not is ignition switch and shifter knob and front license plate bracket. Looks like you have original rear license plate bracket, those are usually missing. Keep the patina.

^. Drive it. Add your patina knicks to it. It’s a story book. Finnish reading it.

Nice patina! I hope you keep it!

Read through this thread on tips and tricks to preserve it.

There’s a ton of information in this section of the forum. Some of the threads have links to parts that are still available.

I'll echo what others are saying - keep the patina. Adding front disc brakes and power steering are very nice modifications to an original rig. Replacing the suspension bushings, body mounts and cab weatherstripping will likely need to be done on an original truck too. Take your time and enjoy the ride. You've got a gem there for sure!

Adding to what the others have said, aside from the trivial smalls like the shift knob, ignition switch and license plate the clutch master and radiator cap are incorrect also. These are however trivial items to say the least.

I see both OE brass terminals on the battery which are stupidly hard to find, a smooth top air cleaner and cleaned up big window SD40 carb. If it stops and starts, why mess with adding disc brakes, power steering, EFI, etc. It has worked for 60 years. The trials and tribulations of those who did so are well documented and keep popping up regularly

Needs an FD knob 😝

KIAI

(keep it as is)

Looked at the pictures again…this is only for reference incase you want to make it factory “correct”(?). I’m not nitpicking. Any of us would be stoked to have this truck!

You might want to replace the weatherstripping in and around the doors, between the hard top and cab and the front vent(?). Also the pads on the brake and clutch. They’re available from the LC vendors.

-TNK wiper arms (appears the motors are there?). If not then 2 x TNK motors.

-wing nut for top of smooth top air filter housing

-tailgate looks like it’s from a 40 FST(?) due to the footman loops which would also explain the new shiny bolts. However it appears to be a great match on the paint! I’d leave it. OE SWB tailgates are rare. Hopefully you got the OE tailgate chains for the FST tailgate?

-white material for the top of the side steps which can be found here:

Do you have the jack and rods?

clutch master is correct the brake is the incorrect master.
You are correct. I'm thinking RHD orientation whereas this is a LHD. Ultimately, the tin cup master is correct and easy enough to get a new OEM brake master with plastic reservoir and then the hunt to find a tin cup to screw on which only has the square nut without the shield for the breather.

Hello
Great original patina rig. Runs and drive great, need to put new tires on and start cruising it.

Looking for help to see how original this FJ45 really is. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I added a few pictures.

Thanks in advance..
Jon

View attachment 3250047

View attachment 3250049

View attachment 3250050

View attachment 3250056

View attachment 3250057
Nice truck. Let me know if you consider selling it now as is!! 😬😬😬👍🏼

Holly Molly. I found my missing twin that is great find. Looks like a dealer truck since I don’t see any major rust anywhere. As others said the first thing should be to make safe so you can enjoy it. You already got the seats done so you are ahead of me. I’m still seating on horse hair ones. Here a list of things that I will suggest
Check all the wiring first. I wouldn’t trust those 60 being 60 years old
Flush gas tank and all gas lines.
You probably have the glass bowl gas filter considering how original am the truck is. If you do, you can still get the cartridges from Toyota.
Run diesel oil 15-30 , I do rótella or any oil that has high zinc content.
Replace all weatherstrip if possible. This is probably the most expensive thing I have done but it will make a huge difference on how quiet the truck is
leaf spring bushing and tie rods
FJ60 front disc brake conversion
4 speed on the floor - easier to drive it around
00F2B63C-9E03-43BA-A16E-521EB9E05499.jpeg

The rear diff on early 45 is centered instead of offset to the passenger. If you get an fj55 rear diff you can have both pumpkins aligned and still be able to use the sway bar. You could do a 40 rear diff but when you loose the sway bar connection

Here is a link for mine. Let me know if you have any questions

Hello

I added a few pictures.

Thanks in advance..
Jon

View attachment 3250047

View attachment 3250049

View attachment 3250050

View attachment 3250056

View attachment 3250057
Is this Ike's old 45?

As others have said, keep it as-is and just use it.

Looks like Ike's. Out of Medford IIRC - high school teacher owned it, got too old to drive it and parked it. Years later one of his old students bought it. I almost bought it last year. Love the 3 on the tree. It was a fun drive. I agree with most here, leave it the way it is and drive it.

That's the twin to mine. My frame number is 13057, curious what yours is. Is the heater a Toyota one or an aftermarket? Mine had an aftermarket, but came with defroster ducts, my guess is the all did.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom