18th Coal Mine Cruiser Classic Registration is now open (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Oh, then this, third time's a charm:
IMG_20170715_153422573.jpg

Well, so much for 2017 coal mine event, it went by like a fast freight train. Can't believe it's over and I'm back home.

I got there Tuesday night and got our cabin set up. Not too many people there Tuesday night for socializing and it turned out to be a quiet night.
Wheeled Rausch Wednesday with Matt Reed as my passenger, don't remember who all was with but Larry Downey and daughter from Georgia were in my group in his red 40. Did some good trails and had a blast. There already was a lot of water in the park- a harbinger of things to come- from recent rains.

Thursday was a scheduled day at Anthracite. Ten rigs showed up, Aaron and Greg led one group in Greg's blue 80 and I had five rigs in my black group. It was a blast. We started with the culvert trail, did the bucket trail, then headed to the other side of the main road. There we did Twister, came back down to the bottom and climbed up Barney Rubble. We went around the horn a bit, did the double hill climb at the bottom of BR, then headed back across the main road.

There we did did Excelsior Swamp and Muddy Shackle in the reverse direction of what we did on our recent three truck club run. Everyone managed to stay out of Aaron's mud hole on Excelsior!!! I somehow got turned around and instead of going out near the entrance to the culvert trail we ended up way up at the corner of the park on trail 537. Thankfully Mike Thomas (thanks, Stump!!!!) had his phone with the app and we figured just what the hell direction we needed to be going. From there we headed out to the parking lot and that was it for the day. Five capable rigs made it possible to get a lot of trail riding accomplished in five hours.

Friday I ended up with nine trucks, a lot of people were looking to do blue trails that day. At one point I had 17 trucks in line behind the 40! We split it up into two groups, still had a lot of trucks. David from the club was with us Friday in his Lexus. We got a late start as the threat of rain made everyone hesitant about getting started. Out of the staging area at 9:30, very late for me, we headed down past the old office, did trail 3 then took a shortcut across to C. We did trail CV and part of O trail. From there it was down into the bottom of the west property. From Thursday's rain there was already water running everywhere- more than I ever saw it at Rausch. Down H, then did almost all of 12 and it was a blast driving down the creek as deep as the water was running.

Then we did trail 10 which of course was really wet. Back to the entrance to 10 for a lunch break with threatening skies. The clouds burst as we started across the service road and when we got to where the water crosses that road we found it severely scoured. The ground on the opposite side of the watercourse was eroded and left a vertical wall about 30 inches tall maybe more. Started across it in Tom Humphrey's 70 and the bumper hit solid. As hard as it was raining I pulled the plug on the west property and we headed up H for higher ground. We did one of the hillclimbs then headed over to Topless for Tatas. Toward the end of that trail the skies really opened up. I donned my raincoat and spotted everyone over the last hill and then the double whammy at the exit of the trail. Water was lying everywhere and coming down in buckets. I'd had enough at that point in time and we drove out to the staging area and then back to camp. Of course by the time we got back to the staging area the rain had stopped!

Saturday we got an early start, had seven trucks and covered a lot of ground. Was amazed at the amount of water flowing over all the trails, it sure made for some interesting and wet wheeling. Except for a cut sidewall on Larry Downey's 40 we had no problems. As with the day before club member David was with us in his Lexus. Vince managed to make it in his Lexus but with a chauffeur- his daughter wheeled the 80, her first time ever offroad. All went well and got out of the park at 2:30 in time to have a few beers and get ready for the dinner and raffle.

The meal was good- I especially liked the chicken. The raffle was a bit smaller than normal, and we were surprised that no free passes for next year's event were issued. Chip and his wife Maggie from the Yankee Toys club were big winners in the raffle. I was fortunate enough to win a top quality full knuckle rebuild kit donated by Oner. Getting out of the raffle and dinner while it was still light out was a bonus- allowed for more socializing than in past years. Didn't get to bed till 1:30 that night, so getting up at 6AM was a bit of a challenge.

Got to see and spend time with a lot of people. Was disappointed that the club tent camping site and the location of our cabin were so far apart. Didn't get to spend nearly as much time with the base keystone group as I would have liked. Did get to wheel with a lot of club people, Andy Zook, Vince, Matt Reed, David, Andy Marquardt, Tom Humphries, Stump, Chris, Patrick, etc. Speaking of Andy Marquardt, kudos to him for being the available welder at the park. he was able, using the welding machine at Rausch, to fix a badly broken spring perch and frame on young Patrick O'Laughlin's BJ70. And when we were discussing that repair we looked at Tom Humphries 70 and his spring perch was cracked completely through in the same spot as Patrick's! Andy competently welded that one up, too. Thanks Andy!

All in all got to see a lot of people that I've known and wheeled with for a lot of years. Was fun to see Joe Mylie's old 55 in action and to see Brian O'Laughlin's son Patrick in his new to him BJ70 was awesome. Camping with and wheeling with the Polish contingent from Connecticut was as always a plus. Seeing everyone brought back a lot of memories from all the coal mine events I've been to over the years. Had a few good meals at Oneals pub and that's always a plus. All in all I'll chock up the last five days as a great time- can hardly wait till next year!

Last edited:
I had a great time! Was really nice having all of the campsites together in one section and hanging out by the fire at night, THANKS GREG! I finally felt like there was somewhere I was welcome!

Anyone have pictures?

Stump has a few HERE
Larry posted a handful of Friday with our group HERE

The only picture I took the whole weekend!

View attachment 1498718

Ha! Yup, I spaced again and left s*** behind! Last year it was chairs at camp @BruceFZJ80, and this year I left my ezup. Thanks for meeting me at the Girl Scout camp on Saturday morn to deliver, @caz . @76FJ40, bite your tongue, and take the high road regarding comments...

"I guess that's the new line?"

"For a 40!"

Wow- really enjoyed that video! I see you ran the culvert trail in the opposite direction that we usually run it- looked very interesting! Hope Chris Stearns didn't scratch the paint on his pristine red 80 on that trail.......... And now that Bruce created a new line on Twister it just got a bit easier!!!!!

I just want to give a big "thank you" to all the Keystone guys (and the Virginia contingent) who made my first off-roading experience one to remember. I can't believe it took me 16 years to actually do it after owning my 40 for all those years. Special thanks to Bruce for putting up with a rookie passenger all weekend. I had no idea where I was half the time but I had a freakin' blast the whole time. Thanks guys!

Westy (aka Jim)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom