16 split rims tire 7.50/16 an option (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Most of our ever build vintage 45s have come with this combitanion.
Even today the J7 come with split rims and 7.50/16.
Front tyres 7.50R16-8 5.50F
Rear tyres 7.50R16-8 5.50F
Tyre type Radial

Picture shows the shoes of a new HZJ78-RJMRS-S13 - Land Cruiser 78 Hardtop 13 seater
hzj79-tjmrs-G10.jpg

Just an option .....:)
Cheers Peter

Too bad they are 5 lug!

Unless these are lighter is there any advantage of these over the 16" split rims Toyota used for years on the six lug rims? Those are fairly easy to find. Have a clean set I stored away years ago just in case I wanted to run them my 45. This was in the days before Mud and eBay. Didn't realize how these would change everything and would be so easy to find items I thought were rare.

Just ordered
5 new 7.50R16-85. 50F shoes
in Europe.
They have still some new inkl. tubes from refitting never used
virgin :)
Cheers Peter

Last edited:
I have a set of split rims. They are in good shape. I’m planning on running some 255/85/16s on them on my Pig one day.

I need a tutorial on how they break down. My local tractor tire shop said they would mount anything. They have a cage. I just would like to know how they work. I think they break down different than American splits.

Nolan,

They are super simple and not deadly if you use common sense. Google Aussie split rim removal, there used to be some great outback videos. I have been mounting them for years without issue. I just air them up super slow and check that the ring is seated.

I have a set of split rims. They are in good shape. I’m planning on running some 255/85/16s on them on my Pig one day.
Nolan, we have a technical car inspection -all two years in Germany- and this inspection only allows 235/85/16s tyres on 5,5 rims.
Personally I would´nt drive a tyre wider than 235 on these rims....
but that`s me :)
Cheers Peter

It's not bad at all @wngrog . I saw your splits for sale that you have posted a while back and wanted to buy them. Someone had a set of 6 for a ridiculously cheap price and delivered them to my door step to boot. So, I couldn't pass up the deal even though yours appeared to be in very good condition.

Land Cruiser Heaven powder coated them for me using RAL code 7043 (I like it a tad darker than stock) and they turned out great. These are going to the 45Lv project. I'll probably mount the same set of tires I have on my BJ42 rims in the video below.

I posted a video of me performing the most difficult and final step of locking the ring in place here (not very difficult at all as you can see):

I wouldn't recommend using a bucket like I did in the video. You need something to set the rims on so the tires aren't hitting the ground. Wrapped a chain around the tire through the hub opening while I was inflating and seating the tire bead as a safety precaution.

Last edited:
What is the approximate size equivalent to the radial 7.50R16-8 5.50F in a bias-ply tire?

235/85/16?
..it´s the right size to replace the 7.50 tires.
If I had not found the 7.50 any more, I would have mounted the 235/85/16
Land Rover Series (even Defender) guys and gals go the same way.

Redfj45can former ↪Doctor do Little ;)
... it´s not only the vintage look why I would go with this size ....explained it in post No.7 :
_________________________________________________________________________________________________

....just checked Toyota Gibralta again.
The LC 70 models for Africa still come with 7.50R16-8 5.50F radial tubed on split rims.

Last edited:
BFG makes a 7.50-16 in kM3. It’s tiny though. My 235/85-16 Yokohama MT were a solid 1” taller mounted. BFG ko2 also runs real small in the 235/85-16

Yokos measures out 31.5 x 9 on my City Racer wheels

BFG makes a 7.50-16 in kM3. It’s tiny though. My 235/85-16 Yokohama MT were a solid 1” taller mounted. BFG ko2 also runs real small in the 235/85-16

Yokos measures out 31.5 x 9 on my City Racer wheels
Power King super tractions are stated in the various data sheets (depending on seller) claim an OD of 32.5", 32.7" or 33". I have owned lots of 7.50 16s and it's been years since I saw any that tall. Anybody have them or know how to confirm?

Does anyone know if a split rim can be converted into a solid rim? Too bad Stockton Wheel went out of business.
Pretty sure the short answer is no. Of course with enough money I suppose anything is possible. Why not just buy the City Racer rims?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom