ROTW ROTW- CruisinGA (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This will be updated with more pics plus current ones tomorrow...

Rig description (nitty gritty detail):
everything listed has been done by yours truly

Started with a completely bone stock 10/73 (3spd) FJ40

Under the hood:
original F.5 (in 2F's clothing)
Jim C carb
late 2F electronic ignition
2F waterpump/oil cooler/ t-stat setup
2F fan clutch/7 blade fan
2F valvecover
45 (vs 35) amp alternator
York OBA compressor
Saginaw P/S pump

tranny/tcase:
N.O.S. Military surplus SM420
Spaceghost aluminum plate adapter
Charlie Glabe linkage adapter
freshly rebuilt 3spd tcase

Front Axle:
disc conversion using '79 cruiser knuckles and yooper's knuckle centering SST
Late-Model 27 spline heat treated Longfields
Chro-moly inner axles
EZ-locker (borrowed from David- when he makes me give it back it will get either an Aussie or another ARB, whatever my wallet allows)

Rear Axle:
New gears/bearings
ARB Air Locker
All new drum parts (Thanks Kevin!)

Interior:
Recovered stock buckets (PO)
bedlined floor (crappy PO job
Alpine headunit (cool motorized face deal)
Pair of weatherproof boston speakers
bolted home-made security box
Custom guage panel with liquid filled guages for OBA and switches for the ARB
In-progress full Metal-tech cage
Bear modified rear jump-seat-chuck missing (must have smelled good to him)

Exterior:
In-progress winch bumper
In-progress Metal Tech Radiator hoop

Chassis:
Minitruck P/S
Skyjacker 4" SUA lift
Skyjacker shocks
SOR greasable A.I. shackles
Currently building skidplate and sliders

Coming soon:
re-doing underhood wiring a la Urban Land Cruisers cables with some additions. (relays, aux fuse blocks, external-shunt ammeter)

Springover! (the whole reason for the 420 was to have the gearing for much larger tires than 33's. This project will be for next summer)

Last edited:
was the alternater a bolt in replacement, or did you have yours rewound

Damn Baily you have been busy. Look forward to seeing it at Greyrock.

bad_religion_au said:
was the alternater a bolt in replacement, or did you have yours rewound

It is a 2F alternator I grabbed from the shop. My alternator is part of the York bracket, which will mount just about anything, so I'm not sure if a 2F alternator would work with the F mount low on the drivers side. I would imagine that it would.

Damn Baily you have been busy. Look forward to seeing it at Greyrock.

It never ends...

Sure hope I can make it to Greyrock.

Nice Bailey. How come you didn't swap the 3 speed for a 4 speed since you were rebuilding it?

Romer said:
Nice Bailey. How come you didn't swap the 3 speed for a 4 speed since you were rebuilding it?
which tranny would you prefer? i think 420 is a great choice.

when you regeared, did you go stock 4.11 or lower?

nuclearlemon said:
which tranny would you prefer? i think 420 is a great choice.

when you regeared, did you go stock 4.11 or lower?

:doh: I saw the 3 speed tcase rebuild and missed the 420 :doh: Need more coffee!!!

This thread sucks without pics.. (someone had to post it :crybaby: :crybaby: )and your avitar doesn't count :D

Nice list of mods :grinpimp:

I know, this date really snuck up on me and I didn't have any pics ready.

Ige- The rearend was going bad soon after I bought the truck, so I purchased some stock gears and a bearing kit, ended up buying a used third instead, so I had the gears and an extra third sitting around until I bought the ARB, at which point they all went in together. There is virtually zero slop/noise (aside from the inherent SM420 whine) in the drivetrain. :D I LOVE it.

Here are a few s***ty ones I snapped tonight on my way in from the garage. Worked on cruisers today from 9 am till 11 pm.

Keep in mind that a few days ago there was no drivetrain in the truck, most everything is thrown together to get it driving while I tighten up details.

York suction is normally attached to a fitting on the air cleaner, and the wires are normally neater.
rotw1.jpg

Crappy pic of how it sits. (Better one in daylight tomorrow)
rotw2.jpg

SM420- Yay!
rotw3.jpg

Another bad pic.
The wood is there temp. until the tranny tunnel goes back in, which won't be until I finish up all the details. I would have no seat in there at all, but my mom saw me backing out of the garage sitting on a five gallon bucket with no seat belt and flipped out. :D
rotw4.jpg

Here are some pics from the 420 swap.

If I was to do it again, I would not pull the drivetrain, however I am glad I did for my first time. This was the first time I had ever done clutch work aside from seperating trannies and engines, so it made things easy to do them sitting on a stool on the shop floor.

rotw5.jpg

rotw6.jpg

This hoist rocks. By myself I can have the average 40 engine pulled in less than 3 hours, working at a standard pace.
rotw7.jpg

This was the clutch disc that came out. It has about a 2 years on it, came from JTO. :rolleyes:
rotw8.jpg

holy sheite!!! no tires...just floats in the blackness...cool mod!!! :flipoff2:
rotw2.jpg

Good thing mom was around,, whew... you could have killed yourself. Those wood blocks are definitely safer than a bucket. ;)

Just curious about what the "standard" work pace is and where I can find a definition of it? I want to make sure I'm not overworking myself. :D

KnightHawk said:
Just curious about what the "standard" work pace is and where I can find a definition of it? I want to make sure I'm not overworking myself. :D
:D

Standard is working by the hour. :D

Accelerated is working on my own truck at the shop and it has to be out of there by the next day.

wesintl said:
Speaking of the NOS 420. Did it come with the top plate? If not where did you find one.

The top plate it comes with is for some sort of remote linkage.

I posted a want add on pirate, cost me $75.

CruisinGA said:
This will be updated with more pics plus current ones tomorrow...

45 (vs 35) amp alternator

Saginaw P/S pump

EZ-locker (borrowed from David- when he makes me give it back it will get either an Aussie or another ARB, whatever my wallet allows)

I want my EZ locker back WTF did you get it? IIRC that is my alt, my 3sp nose cone and at least one drive shaft of mine not to mention all the other crap you pilfer at random.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom