Land Rover Fender Vents on an 80/LX450 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Was trying to find something unique I could do to my 97 LX and thought of installing some fender vents. I first thought of just some faux non-functional stick on vents that looked real. Then that idea lasted for about 1 second, (dont want to be a poser). I searched through 100's of styles of aftermarket vents, and then came across some Land Rover Sport vents that looked like they would fit nicely on the 80 fenders. I got them on Ebay for $25 shipped. These vents are about 3 inches deep, so there is no getting around cutting a big hold in the side of your fender. I started by making a paper template on the back side of the vents, and just kept trimming the paper until it fit around the back side of the vent, then transferred that cut out onto another piece of paper, and used the inside cut for the template. Then I put masking tape on the fenders. I positioned the cut out on the passenger side fender first to see where it would look best yet still be able to eventually mount a snorkel, then took measurements and did the same on the other side, drawing an outline. Then I started cutting away with the cut-off wheel air tool. Once you start cutting there is no turning back. I then sanded the edges to smoothe them out, and painted the cut metal. The back of the vents have hooks on the top and clips that snap into place on the bottom, so you push in, then slide up, then push the bottom into place and they snap in. Pretty simple, you just have to make sure you get your cut right on. Remember, you can always cut more, cut too much and they won't be able to snap into place. I sprayed them with Satin Black to offset against the gloss black. Here are some pictures.
I have more pictures, but I don't know how to post more than 3 at a time, maybe someone can tell me how.
IMG_3400.JPG
IMG_3403.JPG
IMG_3404.JPG

I was thinking about doing the same thing:eek:
Can You post full side picture of your truck please??:cheers:

Er I dont get it. Its not like on the 60 where the inner fenders have large pass throughs to allow such things as the vent and the carb fan. What does doing this on an 80/LX do for you other than looks? Unless you cut out another hole on the inner fender to even allow heat/air to pass thru.

Not saying its not kinda cool, just trying to see the usefulness.

Er I dont get it. Its not like on the 60 where the inner fenders have large pass throughs to allow such things as the vent and the carb fan. What does doing this on an 80/LX do for you other than looks? Unless you cut out another hole on the inner fender to even allow heat/air to pass thru.

They will work as vent-outs on LC's, however, and they are best placed at the far rear of the quarter, as there are exits to the quarter in the engine bay corners.

Haven't looked myself to verify yet....

Thats nice, I have been thinking about using those same vents on the hood.

I know when the fan is on you really feel the heat coming out of them, so I can only imagine how much heat they extract while driving.

Land Rover Sport Fender vents

As requested, some full pics of the LX with the vents.
IMG_3414.jpg
IMG_3413.jpg
IMG_3415.JPG

I know when the fan is on you really feel the heat coming out of them, so I can only imagine how much heat they extract while driving.

Hmm, curious to know where it draws the air from. BTW the looks pretty damn nice...now go abuse it!!

Hmm, curious to know where it draws the air from. BTW the looks pretty damn nice...now go abuse it!!

thats kind of what i was thinking too, but i thought i would try and word it a bit different, so is this now on the list of mods to do? you do seem to have a long list already... ;)

There are large openings in the inner fender at the rear of the engine bay in our trucks. The one on the passenger's side is the opening through which you can access the power antenna assembly, and the one on the driver's side is where the fuel pump relay and rear wiper diverter hang out. I think these vents would allow a lot of hot air out of the rear of the engine compartment. The style of these vents lines up nicely with the cladding on the LX. Nicely done!

thats kind of what i was thinking too, but i thought i would try and word it a bit different, so is this now on the list of mods to do? you do seem to have a long list already... ;)

My list is soo long that I had to go buy a shelving unit and bins so that I can keep everything sorted. 50 projects and zero time to do any of them.

To be honest I would do the hood vents before I would do side vents. The passenger side is also where the air intake draw is.

Subscribed to hear further assessments.

Here's a picture I just found in the for sale section. The big rectangular shaped hole is where the intake comes through the fender so not much airflow there. The funny shaped hole at the rear is the antenna access hole. It's about the same size as the LR vents, so I see no reason why the positive air pressure from the engine fan or highway driving wouldn't exhaust hot air through the vents.

attachment.php

Just wondering which is a bigger concern for an average Joe's 80 ... overheating when going slow/crawling or at speed??? :confused:

I'd be curious how it works as well. At highway speeds, I would think the low pressure would suck out the air from the fender. It would draw out the hot air from the engine bay, but it might also result in lower pressure in the fender making it more difficult for the engine to suck in air (potentially). Or is there somewhere behind the headlight that draws in outside air? Otherwise, it seems our "cold air intakes" are just sucking in hot engine compartment air from the antenna access hole. Obviously the front isn't airtight, but hopefully there is enough flow from the front to compensate.

has anyone put 60 vents on their 80? want to see how these would look.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom