1965 FJ40 need help with spec's (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Is this a soft top model,. Tag under hood say's FJ40L. Is this a factory 3spd on the floor. No factory hole in the dash for four wheel drive unit. The original owners manual in the truck say's this is optional equipment. The shift knob looks just like the one in the manual. Thanks for your help. James, Semper Fi !!!
1965 fj40 001.jpg
1965 fj40 002.jpg
1965 fj40 014.jpg
1965 fj40 030.jpg
fj 003.jpg

No factory floor shift in USA 1965 40 series.

PO's are very creative.

Yes Marine....

I was reminded here (from Living in the Past) that because it does not have a 'V' as in fj40lv it doesn't nessesarily mean it was a FST ...

This time frame some that came hardtop do not have the V ... You can look for the tell tail signs of being a FST... These are the common ones...

1) tailgate (most every in usa had them)
2) dash eyelet to hold safety strap
3) Darth Vader helmet interior done light on dash
4) rear FST bow brackets in the back corner of inner tub

Btw yes it's a factory floor shift ... But... Was added later... If you lift that plate you'll probably see a gagged cut hole for the floor shifter... You could get the parts from places like Downey to convert over to floor shifter

The stock floor shift hole would have been a perfect round hole that the boot fit in

No hole in the dash and looks to be uncut. Nothing was bolted to the fire wall, glove box diagram shows on the floor and the owners manual show's it on the floor. Paint looks orginal. Thanks for your response Poser!

How about a picture or two from under the hood, showing the engine and firewall please?

Btw yes it's a factory floor shift ... But... Was added later... If you lift that plate you'll probably see a gagged cut hole for the floor shifter... You could get the parts from places like Downey to convert over to floor shifter

The stock floor shift hole would have been a perfect round hole that the boot fit in
Thanks JohnnyC. I will pull that plate to see what the hole looks like. What about the hole's that would have been in the dash for the original equipment. Thanks James

the plastic flippy switches are not OEM, for sure

Very interesting to say the least. That is definitely an original t-case shifter and boot, but as Johnny said the plate over the trans shifter raises flags. However if it wasn't a factory original floor shifter then someone went to great lengths to cover the wholes in the dash where the 4wd shifter would have been and I find that hard to believe. Generally all early 40's where floor shift here in the US, but my early US sales brochures list floors shifts as an option, maybe this one was special ordered as a floor shift model :meh:

Either way I'd like to see more pics!!

Here is what the standard USA dash should have looked like.....
40 dash.jpg

vs the OPs
1965 fj40 001.jpg
40 dash.jpg
1965 fj40 001.jpg

Last edited:
1965 factory floor shift

djjaimiecampbell@yahoo.com
Very interesting to say the least. That is definitely an original t-case shifter and boot, but as Johnny said the plate over the trans shifter raises flags. However if it wasn't a factory original floor shifter then someone went to great lengths to cover the wholes in the dash where the 4wd shifter would have been and I find that hard to believe. Generally all early 40's where floor shift here in the US, but my early US sales brochures list floors shifts as an option, maybe this one was special ordered as a floor shift model :meh:

Either way I'd like to see more pics!! Thanks for your reply. I pulled the plate over the 3spd shifter and it was a round hole like it was stamped out not cut with smooth edge. I unbolted the base of the trans shifter and on the backside of the trans hump is four factory welded nuts for machined bolts. Someone had put sheet metal screws in vice the original bolts. I pulled out the ashtray and there was no mods done nor is there any hole in the firewall. This fj40 has only had 2000 miles put on it since 1993. The tires are like new and I have the invoice when they were installed in 1993. I have paper work back to the 80's. And the gas smells like it was put in also in 1993,lol. Thanks for any info . Do you have and email I can send the picture's of everything I have described. Im having troulble uploading more pic's on this site. Thanks James !

Here is what the standard USA dash should have looked like.....
View attachment 869979
Please read above. Typed reply in wrong place. This site is not letting me upload more pic's. Here is my email. djjaimiecampbell@yahoo.com. Do you have an email I can send pic's to or tell me what I need to do to upload more pic's on this site. lol Thanks James
vs the OPs
View attachment 869980

Got the pics of the 40 from James. It certainly appears to be a factory floor shift, as there is a complete lack of holes and ancillary pieces that would have gone with the dash actuated vacuum 4wd lever. Very cool stuff :beer:
1965 interior 016.jpg
1965 interior 003.jpg
1965 interior 005.jpg
1965 interior 008.jpg
1965 interior 011.jpg

Nice Cruiser!, never seen a early floor shift FJ40 before. Any pics of the whole thing? Anybody notice, no windshield vent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom