1983 FJ 40 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I having great problems removing the 4 bolts behind the fan assemby to get at water pump.Which way to remove bolts left to loosen?
I not sure if matters which way pitch is on fan as the angle pitch faces drivers side but have great trouble to loosen!!!!
I holding the pulley with a bar so will not turn as trying to loosen but doesnt seen to loosen and kind of scred one up alreadt and even ground down close end of wench to get great holding power
Does anyone no for sure 1983 fj40

Should be just normal bolts I believe - lefty loosey.

Are you using the correct size (metric) socket?

just real tight used some cleaner first as didnt want to round the bolts
Tkanks Now have leak at only bottom of timing cover i am sure was doing that where pulled the pump off but thought was wept hole wasnt how can it leak there.Not from any other place either Lol love fj huh

thumbnail (1).jpg

I'd think that would be from a weeping hose where it's clamped to the water pump or perhaps the same situation on the thermostat housing. Gravity is bringing it to that spot. Worst case is that you may not have a good seal on one of the gaskets related to one of those two things.

i appeciate your help tons,I changed water pump yesterday but sure enough the hose under to bottom of rad the small hose the clamp was faulty so took hours til 3 am to change it.I should have pulled rad really but no leaks wetness any where but the bottom of cover.the odd thing noticed that prior to changing water pump.i checked alll hoses metal feed lines so odd
love your humor Dont ask me I know what Im taking of!!! But even picture shows from above DRY Ilooked all day perhaps i walk away for couple days.
This is low miles FJ never has had rust and even interior is like new.
Only took me 12 hours yesterday Im sur not as good as was prior to old age full time oxgyen, I will find it but may be next spring as well as wont freeze with being near empty and had new antifreeze put in yesterday

IMG_0557.JPG

IMG_0594.JPG

just real tight used some cleaner first as didnt want to round the bolts
Tkanks Now have leak at only bottom of timing cover i am sure was doing that where pulled the pump off but thought was wept hole wasnt how can it leak there.Not from any other place either Lol love fj huh

View attachment 3480984

- did you replace the bypass hose and BOTH clamps , using the OEM double wire style / type ?

- did you use ALL new OEM mounting hardware , bolts and spring washers ?

- did you polish very very , like very well the entire block face mating surface , till NO rust and wiped klean with break klean or quick dry solvent ?

- Did you apply TOYOTA FIPG liquid sealer to BOTH sides of a OEM new gasket between the pump and the block face ?

- if
1 or more answers to my above questions is NO ? , then this is the place to start , and may require you to repeat the step by steps job scope in a entire fundamental way ? this is how you learn and evolve at repairing your 1983 FJ40LV-KCJA

- study the tech images and links below , they cover ALL the key points above , minus the
00295-00103 toyota FIPG sealer , you can get that at your local TOYOTA dealer

- i highly suspect your bypass hose , simply because you actually reused the old one ?
this = LEAKS - CITY !
- the below black face image is very dirty and a 1-way ticket to a leak even with FIPG sealer .....fyi
or better yet !
1699942779857.png

1699942579310.png

1699942588689.png

1699942598744.png

1699942609974.png

- did you replace the bypass hose and BOTH clamps , using the OEM double wire style / type ?

- did you use ALL new OEM mounting hardware , bolts and spring washers ?

- did you polish very very , like very well the entire block face mating surface , till NO rust and wiped klean with break klean or quick dry solvent ?

- Did you apply TOYOTA FIPG liquid sealer to BOTH sides of a OEM new gasket between the pump and the block face ?

- if
1 or more answers to my above questions is NO ? , then this is the place to start , and may require you to repeat the step by steps job scope in a entire fundamental way ? this is how you learn and evolve at repairing your 1983 FJ40LV-KCJA

- study the tech images and links below , they cover ALL the key points above , minus the 00295-00103 toyota FIPG sealer , you can get that at your local TOYOTA dealer

- i highly suspect your bypass hose , simply because you actually reused the old one ?
this = LEAKS - CITY !
- the below black face image is very dirty and a 1-way ticket to a leak even with FIPG sealer .....fyi
or better yet !
View attachment 3480999
View attachment 3480995
View attachment 3480996

View attachment 3480997
View attachment 3480998
I cleaned my perfect as well even sanded the bit of rust.Sealed well.I think I found the tiny leak and never knew this was even there.The oil cooler line itself.I brought asin water pump and needed the extra small line out under the larger hose.I replaced all clamps but with stainless band type.My mistake really I now understand.
But no leak or wetness anywhere but under the timing cover only & at the lowest part 1/8 inch at most.I cleaned all parts prior to reassembly.I have to presure test it hoper my bud got one to borrow.Thanks for all the suggestions so appreciated.I wish I could search out info but cannot seem to get it to work Lol
Do you carry all the replacement hoses even if not toyota as cannot locate the smaller size ones including the one to oil cooler?Your a great help I must say thanks again for instructions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom