My FJ 40 origin story (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I suppose everyone has an origin story for their FJ’s…
And if you’re interested, here’s mine! a couple years ago I picked up a project that had a pretty rough body but a really nice powertrain, interior, and frame. it’s a 73. the black one on the pics. it did come with two hoods, one is the split variety, three sets of doors, two grills, some rear split tailgate doors, and a whole bunch of spare parts. The previous owner had gone through the now 3F engine, transmission and also installed new lines, aluminum radiator, and big disk brakes. Also came with five new mud terrain tires. I figured the spring I would start on it and deal with the body issues. Well… A few days ago I found, while in New Mexico, a pretty decent Blue 78. The body was great, but the interiors were not so good. The 2F engine, trans, frame, and driveline we’re all in nice order. It also had some nice bumpers and a 2 1/2 inch OME lift, along with 5 brand new tires and rims. so i snagged it. I believe now my plan is to take the best of what’s on the 73 and swap them into the 78, then see what’s left of the 73 and what to do with it. Any thoughts on that? That would be greatly appreciated as I’m still discovering the differences between the two years!

IMG_3712.jpeg

IMG_3699.jpeg

IMG_3678.png

IMG_3673.jpeg

IMG_3732.jpeg

So I suppose everyone has an origin story for their FJ’s…
And if you’re interested, here’s mine! a couple years ago I picked up a project that had a pretty rough body but a really nice powertrain, interior, and frame. it’s a 73. the black one on the pics. it did come with two hoods, one is the split variety, three sets of doors, two grills, some rear split tailgate doors, and a whole bunch of spare parts. The previous owner had gone through the now 3F engine, transmission and also installed new lines, aluminum radiator, and big disk brakes. Also came with five new mud terrain tires. I figured the spring I would start on it and deal with the body issues. Well… A few days ago I found, while in New Mexico, a pretty decent Blue 78. The body was great, but the interiors were not so good. The 2F engine, trans, frame, and driveline we’re all in nice order. It also had some nice bumpers and a 2 1/2 inch OME lift, along with 5 brand new tires and rims. so i snagged it. I believe now my plan is to take the best of what’s on the 73 and swap them into the 78, then see what’s left of the 73 and what to do with it. Any thoughts on that? That would be greatly appreciated as I’m still discovering the differences between the two years!

View attachment 3539552

View attachment 3539553

View attachment 3539554

View attachment 3539555

View attachment 3539556

IMG_3744.jpeg

IMG_3743.jpeg

IMG_3737.jpeg

IMG_3734.jpeg

IMG_3738.jpeg

It’s a weakness, I tell you……always a sucker for automotive odd balls and cult classics🤣🤣🤣
I believe it's well established the Land Cruiser FJ40 series and the FJ55's have attained "cult classic status", but as they say "beauty ( or oddball ) is in the eye of the beholder". Would my car be an oddball just because my car doors don't open the same way as any other car doors?🤣🤣🤣

DSCI0117.JPG

I believe it's well established the Land Cruiser FJ40 series and the FJ55's have attained "cult classic status", but as they say "beauty ( or oddball ) is in the eye of the beholder". Would my car be an oddball just because my car doors don't open the same way as any other car doors?🤣🤣🤣

View attachment 3541843
OMG, a Kaiser, yep…qualifies as an automotive oddity in my book 🤣🤣🤣

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom