Wheelin62s HJ31 build (formerly known as project 6x6) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

forgive me if you've answered this question already... will the rear axle be powered? or is it just there to support load.

Planning on a divorced t-case with carrier bearing for the rear most axle.
image.jpeg

Hope you feel better Eric.

Thanks brother.

niiiicee... glad to see this is a functional mod!!

View attachment 1270846

Take a long break from working on your car... Or else you may never be able to work on it again.

Strongly agree with this. I strained mine a couple weeks ago and finally Andrea took me on vacation to get away from the shop. Amazing what a little R&R will do for you.

J

Well after a break, decided to get back to work on the cruiser. Today decided to pull it out and put the 70 series ARB rack on, worked on the some of the bed wood slats on the fenders.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Also played around with tool box and fridge placement. Getting a feel for how things going to fit. Still need to do cross bars for the RTT and noticed my solar panel fits the tool box lid... bonus points.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Should be able to have the fuel tank lines hooked up this weekend work on the new wiring harness to the rear for lights and and power for winch and fridge.

So couldn't pass this find up. M101 body with side rails. Great shape, a few small floor holes but straight and clean.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

It will be the new bed for the cruiser. Originally thought about doing this but wasn't finding what I wanted.

Now just figure out if I want to extend the wheel well or remove it all together. Crazy thing is, the third axle location fits the wheel well perfectly. So do I save some time and more money and kill the 6x6 idea and have a robust lengthened wheelbase 60 with a sweet functioning military bed on it, or press forward with the project.

I'll be honest, I am on the fence on this one.

Whats going to be more useful for your needs?

Although the 6x6 is cool, its not as cool looking at it unused in the shed
Oh its gonna be used, it will. I will buy it and use it everyday, lol. If he finishes it of course. Oh, and I'm serious.

Oh its gonna be used, it will. I will buy it and use it everyday, lol. If he finishes it of course. Oh, and I'm serious.

Eric will never sell his Cruiser. He can tell you how long he's had it and the adventures it's been on.

I personally think the 6*6 setup will be a pain in the @#@!.... you'll likely have more fun with a conventional setup for the rear axle.

Post up a picture of the profile of the truck as it sits and another with the middle wheel covered up/photoshopped out. I'm having a hard time picturing the lengthened pick-up. I think either will be killer, but the traditional 4x4 set up will be way more practical. And you'll get better mpg... if that matters.

OMG yes. Get rid of the remaining frame on that M101 carcas you got and drop that bed down on the frame rails of the 60, then you've got it made. That's gonna be beautiful.

This is how it sat on the truck before the photoshop of lowering it on the frame.
image.jpeg

If i were to keep the 6 wheels, the bed could not be dropped any more due to tire clearance of the forward axle. Unless I extended the bed's wheel well forward to accommodate.
I really like the 4 wheel setup, just needs bigger tires!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom