Wheelin62s HJ31 build (formerly known as project 6x6) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.thewagonway.com
Not sure where to start.... Have had "Lilly" for 16 years now, 1989 FJ62. Since I have owned it, it has had every 60 series transmission installed (A440, H41, H42 and presently H55F), installed full float rear, and converted to 2H diesel with AXT turbo and intercooled. It's been wheeled all over Utah, southern California, Rubicon Trail, and parts of Washington and Oregon.

Obviously the next logical step is cutting it in half and adding another axle, right? Well, with some rust issues needing to be taken care of and an itch to do something unique, I somehow worked up the courage and decided to make it an extended cab 6x6 with a utility flat bed of some sorts. Do I have all the fine details worked out? Of course not, a lot of this is figuring it out on the fly.

THE VISION

Powering the third axle is the big question, have been researching options, have yet to decide on solution. I am sure that will come down the road. The axle I am using, stock rear 62 axle and springs from my "Mini-me" trailer, will not be the final axle back there. The powered axle will be swapped in its place when I decide what to do. This will remain a dummy or lazy axle for the time being.

I have chosen to spring over the 3 axle for two reasons. First, spring mounting location is much better up near the frame, vice making a lower front spring mount that hangs low. The front mount for rear springs is positioned lower due to the frame dips down as you head towards the front of the frame. After seeing a few pictures of that option being done, i did not like it. Second, I am not going to be carrying huge amounts of weight back there. Adding another set of OME heavy springs back there will make that back end ride like no suspension is back there at all. Springing it over and using a stock-ish spring will aid in the wight handling but also aid in third axle flex.

I have yet fully decided on how to enclose the body. I have seen many variations. I am leaning towards using the rear hatch frame and window, and using the stamped flooring of the cargo area and using that as the lower part below the window. Of course plans will undoubtedly change as I progress. Would like to use the rear door quarter windows as the "extra cab" portion.

The utility bed as of now will be made out of steel and wood flooring. Originally wanted to do a aluminum drop side bed similar to the home depot rental trucks, but from what i have found they are pricey. Maybe a used one will turn up down the road.

WHAT HAS BEEN DONE SO FAR

I have extended the frame 16" to accommodate the rear spring hangers. The now rear axle's suspension is inboard the middle axle's suspension (factory) so not to have a huge gap between the tandem tires. The extended frame is boxed 4x2" 3/16" steel, also cut it in a way to box in the rear C-channel factory frame remaining to add strength. Third axle is in place and everything heavily tacked in place to see how things work before fully welding everything. Rear shackles are place keepers until new bushings and shackles are installed.

Was able to pull her out of the garage this afternoon and see how she rolls with her new rear end in place. First observations: looks sweet! Turning is, well going to suck. I read a little about tandem axles dragging around sharp corners....and yeah this does too. I was taking it really slow and cautious, but maybe it will be less noticeable with more weight and a but more speed. Not sure, but I foresee this as the only downside to this mod. The spring over rear works very smooth. I don't have shocks mounted yet, but I believe I made the right choice with this setup. Of course, driveway and street cup de sac tests aren't the best testing areas for this yet.

Yes she still fits in the garage....barely, literally. My phone won't fit through the gap of frame and door. Once I get the frame fully welded up and brakes, shocks and stuff done, I will turn attention towards the cab.

Pictures and video to follow shortly.
IMG_9210.JPG
IMG_9188.JPG
IMG_9193.JPG

Cool project.

I would assume the 6x6 is not a question of what the 3rd axle will be, but what the middle axle needs to be. Being you're going with the offset cruiser axles, how the hell are you gonna find an offset power divider? Damn!

Give you an A for effort but surely you have SOMETHING in mind to make this beast a reality right?

And what kind of drive shaft goes between? Double cv shaft? Would need to have plenty of slip.

Keep it up I love the crazy projects as well!

Cool project.

I would assume the 6x6 is not a question of what the 3rd axle will be, but what the middle axle needs to be. Being you're going with the offset cruiser axles, how the hell are you gonna find an offset power divider? Damn!

Give you an A for effort but surely you have SOMETHING in mind to make this beast a reality right?

And what kind of drive shaft goes between? Double cv shaft? Would need to have plenty of slip.

Keep it up I love the crazy projects as well!

The way I see it, second axle can only stay as is if I went with a NP205 dual output setup of sorts. Then the third axle can have a centered pumpkin and a driveshaft to each axle, maybe an 80 series rear axle or something. Advantage I see to this setup is both rear axles aren't full time engaged, I can split the power for road. Other options are 9" second axle with a splitter bolted to the pinion like USA6x6 had. I have seen a couple companies down under have similar gear boxes. And like you mentioned the other option is straight through shaft out the second axle pumpkin to the third.

I don't have a definite plan as of yet, I still have A LOT of time and work to do to it. I have given myself a goal of completing this by end of the year. Sooner? hope so, if not it will be eventually. It's a fun project I am doing with my Dad and friends....sometimes that's better than the end result.

But am open to suggestions and ideas of course.

I can't wait to see what you decide to do!! Awesomely unique my friend, fine work :D

The extended cab / utility bed thing will be awesome. It'll be great for all sorts of stuff having that nice long bed.

Get this thing into a ditch and flex her out! I'm itching to see how the two rear axles interact with articulation.

Big project! Looks like fun.

A dual output with centered and offset diffs for the rear end sounds ideal, but how does the back driveshaft clear the middle axle? Especially when articulating? I guess you could have a steady bearing on the middle axle plus another driveshaft to make the connection to the rear. Am I picturing this correctly?

Eric, although leaf spring frames are intended to flex you need some gussets for on that new portion of it is going to flex hard.

I have a really nice 80 chassis and axles of you change your mind on direction ;)

Gussets are a definitely going in. It will be reinforced. Still making sure things are where I want them.

Speaking of gussets, cut and welded some in today. Also did more frame welding. Couldn't help but drive it down the street and back. Really stiff back there with OME heavy springs on the second axle. Most likely going to have to take a leaf out or two. Depends on the bed that gets made. With no weight back there, they are almost mad droop sitting still.
image.jpeg

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom