Wheelin62s HJ31 build (formerly known as project 6x6) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Finished mounting the bed. Had a set of universal frame mounts from Ruffstuff and decided they would do nicely.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Discovered some generic trailer tail lights fit the factory tail light brackets perfectly. I still have the test batteries hooked up. Will need to run harness now to those and the rear winch, which is back in place.
image.jpeg

A buddy at work has a Chevy 20 gal tank that might work for this. Hopefully pick that up this week. And will visit the local pick n pull to pick up a Tacoma rear driveshaft with carrier bearing and swing buy the local driveline shop and see about fitting it to the cruiser's flanges.

This week will also get the interior back in shape. Getting close to roll out.

Upper bows came today. Had to quickly put one together. Will put the other ones together this weekend. Outer cover comes early next week.
image.jpeg

This looks bad ass...
That trailer box sure compliments the lines of the 60

Making headway. Figured out a way to use the existing gas tank and still have plenty of room for driveshaft. Positioned tank sideways(filler neck facing forward) and in front of axle. Reason for sideways is half the tank is thinner than the other by about 3.5". I positioned it this way so the thinner part of the tank was over the area of the driveshaft. When mounted using existing frame I made for it earlier for 6wd setup, it doesn't hang below the frame. :bounce:
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I did have to remove the factory shock crossmember, another crossmember I made earlier in the project, and one bed frame crossmember. I will add a crossmember just forward of the bed under the rear of the cab.
image.jpeg

Fabbed up a filler neck support. Will need to get a 90 degree hose to connect it to the tank.
image.jpeg

Also added longer chain for the tailgate to be able to use it as such.
image.jpeg

Driveshaft going to get worked on this week. Also start wiring the bed for power, finish fuel tank lines and commence road shake down!!

Bed cover came today. Heavy duty. Still need to make replacement hooks to tie it down.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Also picked up a driveshaft to have modified. Will mock up the carrier bearing placement this weekend and get the necessary measurements needed and drop it off to get modified.
image.jpeg

Was hoping to get farther along, but it's the small stuff that seems to take the longest. Fuel tank is connected and cruiser running off it. Rear tail lights functioning. Need to wire reverse lights and secure the wiring along the frame.
image.jpeg

She's back on the road!! :bounce:

Front wheel drive currently. Rear shaft should be ready in the next day or two. Feels good to drive it again, miss that turbo diesel sound. Can feel the longer wheel base. Everything felt smooth. Love the rear window! The airflow is amazing.

Now all the cosmetic stuff; inside panels, more body work on the front cab, clean up the bed, more wiring, paint....

:cheers:

Got the rear shaft in. My angles were good, have no vibrations. The first thing the bed got used for was hauling it's own rear driveshaft back home, lol.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Do need to lengthen the exhaust because the rear window is sucking in some of the exhaust, not bad but can get to you. The window is awesome though, love the air flow.

Worked on a rack for the RTT today.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Still a lot of odds and ends to do. But she is back in the road. :steer::clap:
image.jpeg

Worked on modifying the exhaust. Needed to get the fumes out from sucking in the back window. Choices were out the back of the frame or stack it. Intrigued on how it would look, I of course went that route.
Kept the 3" size. After a few trials, this is what I came up with. Should be clear of the bed tarp as well when installed.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I also went a head fabbed up an exhaust flapper, I still need to put a heat shield on.
image.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom