What to do with old pop rivets when replacing sheetmetal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys,

Working on my FJ40 build and starting to get into bodywork (for the first time ever) so lookin for a little advice.

In reference to the pic below, I'm obviously going to be replacing metal in the yellow outline, but I'm really not sure about what to do where the old pop rivets used to be (shown with orange dot for clarification). My gut tells me the right thing to do is cut all the way around all of that, basically the entire picture area, and redo. Is there any acceptable way to get away with not doing that? Can I just pop the rest of the rivet out and plug weld each little hole?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Unless there is rust at the rivets then I would think popping them out should be ok. Get yourself a copper welding spoon to hold behind the holes and then weld them shut. @reevesci

Thanks for the input, that'll be a welcome relief if I can get away with popping them out and welding it closed.

You'd be way ahead and with a better long term outcome if you just bought a lower cowl section from Real Steel or similar. Even a cut/patch section from a part out rig. The other metal that you haven't circled is a goner as well.

Like Greg said on the holes; you can back them with a copper/brz piece of metal and plug them or run a nail in from the back side, tack and then buzz the remaining stem off. BUT, I'd still go with a good patch and replace all the trash at once. Rust is a monster and by the way I see this repair going down... You'll see it again soon.

GL,

J

Hi guys,

Working on my FJ40 build and starting to get into bodywork (for the first time ever) so lookin for a little advice.

In reference to the pic below, I'm obviously going to be replacing metal in the yellow outline, but I'm really not sure about what to do where the old pop rivets used to be (shown with orange dot for clarification). My gut tells me the right thing to do is cut all the way around all of that, basically the entire picture area, and redo. Is there any acceptable way to get away with not doing that? Can I just pop the rest of the rivet out and plug weld each little hole?

Thanks in advance.
Geeeez...a clone of my Cowl Kick Vent Panel ....NOS available for $300.00 delivered. I can send you the contact if you PM me

Thanks for the input guys, I did end up replacing most all of that area anyways so there were only a couple holes to fill.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom