Builds What did you do to your Land Cruiser/Toyota/Lexus 4X4 this week? (8 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I replaced my broken sunroof switches with some new ones, what do you think?

uploadfromtaptalk1443936044766.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1443936057776.jpg

drove to the access road to Sycamore - tested the brake bias on the 40 - checks out fine now :steer:

now I can get on with all the little projects that I still need to do on it

Installed my hard wire kit from LCP to my Puma with Anderson Connectors and will add the Anderson to the fridge, it will be an easy swap to run the fridge.

Very happy with the set up.

Changed oil & filter, air filter, checked diffs, transmission, & transfer case oil - topped off transfer case.

Lubed driveshaft u-joints, tightened a few loose nuts.

Rigged cruiser for three-man crew - Nissan Sentra bucket and Engel fridge in the back & Taco seats up front.

Loaded up & ready to leave for Chile Challenge

25TH ANNUAL CHILE CHALLENGE OFF ROAD TRAIL EVENT - 2015 Chile Challenge

IMG_8886-small.jpg
IMG_8887-small.jpg

were are you gonna sleep with all those seats?

were are you gonna sleep with all those seats?
Good question :hmm:

Obviously I'll sleep on my
"Mark III Sleeping Platform" ;)
(Patent pending, all rights reserved)
(roomier & flatter than it looks!)

IMG_8888-small.jpg

Good question :hmm:

Obviously I'll sleep on my
"Mark III Sleeping Platform" ;)
(Patent pending, all rights reserved)
(roomier & flatter than it looks!)

View attachment 1144650

Curious how you get your patent pending platform there? Would be a interesting ride with it in place. I thought about sleeping in my 68 years ago. When I installed buckets from a 74 it was going to require unbolting the back of the passenger seat, Then replaced the long jump seats with narrower ones to install the factory roll bar. Finally installed a rear heater and give the idea up. Before that the plan was to cut a couple of pieces of plywood to cover the back floor. Then when I want to sleep just fold the passenger seat flat, fold down the jump jumps. Move the plywood on top of the seats to create the sleeping platform. Never followed thru but believe something needed to be added to the top of the jump seats to level to the height of the passenger seat. This setup allows you still drive around with seven grown men and all their equipment. Just the way Toyota advertised them back in the sixties.:lol:

Ingenuity at it's best.

got new tires on the LX: 315/75/16 Maxxis Bighorn - the same tires as on the 40 (which is now on 80 series wheels as well) - idea is that I can just swap thm over between vehicles :hillbilly:

luckily, both still fit into the garage :p :bounce: - as opposed to the poor Blazer that needs to go to jail each time we leave AZ :(

Last edited:
Changing out the rear ring and pinion on the 40. New new Nitro R&P are the fine spline (27 vs 10) and required the matching yoke.
Nothing serious and can reuse the Arb air locker :)
1009151558.jpg

Changing out the rear ring and pinion on the 40. New new Nitro R&P are the fine spline (27 vs 10) and required the matching yoke.
Nothing serious and can reuse the Arb air locker :)
View attachment 1145488
Good stuff!

What are you using for axle shafts?

Well, just because OZO is not in my garage right now it doesn't mean there are not things to get done.

Started with getting all the bits that will go on/against the new headliner dyed to the new scheme using SEM products.

The rear view mirror:

The grab handles:

and the overhead console which also got a bit of suede:

Then back to the wheel project. After the test painting of the spare went well enough I could move on to the center caps/hubs.

Starting with a good sand and cleaning-

As the centers will remain black, the black base goes on first-

Then a light sanding of the areas outside the black center to remove dust from the spray and then masking-

Then trimming the masking around the center and exposing the Toyota logo-

Then everything gets hit with the same gunmetal as the wheel-

Remove the masking and now ready for the matte clear-

Not bad-

Yes, the wheel and hub are the same color. there seems to be some issue with shadows/shading that makes it look different.

As to what all the color change is leading to...a couple teaser pics:

Good stuff!

What are you using for axle shafts?
Keeping the factory axles. The only splines affected are on the pinion where it meets the yoke

Caps/Hubs look good. What exact paint did you use? I have to redo mine and yours came out great.

Caps/Hubs look good. What exact paint did you use? I have to redo mine and yours came out great.

Duplicolor High Performance Wheel Coating.

It has gone on very nicely but I will make one recommendation. Keep the cans indoors and don't paint when its over 100 degrees. The paint formulation would dry before contact when I tried to tough out some work when it was hot. The result is a dry/powdery finish instead of the desired sheen.

Duplicolor High Performance Wheel Coating.

It has gone on very nicely but I will make one recommendation. Keep the cans indoors and don't paint when its over 100 degrees. The paint formulation would dry before contact when I tried to tough out some work when it was hot. The result is a dry/powdery finish instead of the desired sheen.
What exact colors?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom