What did u lift/pull with your winch this week? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys, I am about to attempt to lift a 500 kVA transformer onto a flatbed truck today, it's in a warehouse & hopefully there is a strong enough overhead steel beam to support the weight of the lift. Any advice/warning would be greatly appreciated as I know how wrong these can go... I have an OME winch that came with my Cruiser, so I am assuming its about a 9000 lb winch? But assume can also read ASS outa U & ME...

last week I lifted a Caterpillar 50kVA Genset over a tree, to start with if the branch could not take the weight & it had snapped it would have landed square on my cruiser, so I had to park free from that potential problem, it all worked out in the end but the 4x4 recovery kit with tree protector becomes essential

I'd be extremely careful for using a winch to hoist objects.

Winches sold for hoisting have very strict rating standards, safety guidelines, etc.
None of this exists for vehicle mounted winches designed for pulling.

A great read on the topic.

If you have 2 snatch blocks use them. It will reduce the load on your winch. Rig one from the beam and attach the other to the load. Anchor your hook to the beam. That should give you a 2 to 1 reduction.

She helped me move some firewood this weekend. Oh, never mind you said winch.

Cool, do that for sailing too so will have to buy a couple pulleys. I had a look at the transformer & it looks to weigh about 1500kg to 2500kg, and it has a 40mm solid axle at each end, wheels are missing so we are getting wheels on first and will push it out, then crane it onto a lorry... I am always keen to see what the winch can pull...

AimCOtaco said:
She helped me move some firewood this weekend. Oh, never mind you said winch.

Good one! Did u ever see "Gods must be crazy"? The SWB 80 series landy ended up in the tree? Had us in stitches when we were kids, gotta find that for my kids

I tried to winch out my work truck with my other work truck, but no luck....in the end, the tundra had to pull the 80 up the hill, and off the tree...the raingutter is a bit buggered...
_sm.jpg

bkfj40 said:
I tried to winch out my work truck with my other work truck, but no luck....in the end, the tundra had to pull the 80 up the hill, and off the tree...the raingutter is a bit buggered...

Ouch! How'd she land in the gutter in the first place?

Hi All:

Used the 1996-vintage SuperWinch X-9 on my FJ40 this weekend to pull logs during a trail maintenance volunteer day with the Washington State DNR.

Regards,

Alan

used mine to hold the caliper and strut out of the way so i could change the lower a arm on the stratus.

pulled myself out of this mess last weekend
bamaweekend3.jpg

bamaweekend.jpg

then returned the winch today for a replacement because it stopped working last night in the middle of respooling... Harbor Freight:doh:

Pulled a Porsche 928 S4 onto a trailer, that's off to get an engine fitted

Pulled an Isuzu Wizzard/Rodeo onto the trailer to get its fuel pump & solenoid fixed, that's now running with plenty leaks

Pulled a Defender 90 with no wheels, engine or gearbox onto the trailer using logs, and moved that from the farm junkyard into town as a friend has a rolled Discovery 1 donor that he can transplant all the drive train from

Hi guys, I am about to attempt to lift a 500 kVA transformer onto a flatbed truck today, it's in a warehouse & hopefully there is a strong enough overhead steel beam to support the weight of the lift. Any advice/warning would be greatly appreciated as I know how wrong these can go... I have an OME winch that came with my Cruiser, so I am assuming its about a 9000 lb winch? But assume can also read ASS outa U & ME...

last week I lifted a Caterpillar 50kVA Genset over a tree, to start with if the branch could not take the weight & it had snapped it would have landed square on my cruiser, so I had to park free from that potential problem, it all worked out in the end but the 4x4 recovery kit with tree protector becomes essential

Did you mean OEM perhaps?
I helped a friend of mine pull a 8ton truck with locked rear wheels up a hill into his yard with a oem winch on his 80. We had to keep the 80 in reverse with the wheels spinning but the winch just wouldn't stall. Strong stuff!

not this week but a little while back on a pto winch, maintained oil pressure all the way up but had P/S fluid running back onto the headers creating a bit of smoke, the truck that followed up starved of fuel the pickup was left high and dry in the tank

aa.jpg

bb.jpg

cc.jpg

dd.jpg

jj.jpg

Used my 8274 to pull the 80 up an icy hill on the Naches trail two week ago.

image-431768799.jpg

image-1877409902.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom