What are you working on? (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

For as much as you drive it you might be OK as long as you clean the bearings out completely and if feels good while rotating everything after reassembly. Diff bearings are tough and can withstand a lot of hard work as long as they have proper lubrication.

I agree with you Gary. I feel it will be fine. Currently all bearings and gears (minus the spiders though they rotate enough) seems to be turning smoothly right now. I will definitely do as much of a thorough cleaning as I can before reassembly.

I still want to be prepared for the inevitable. This is my second front diff I've damaged the spider gears in. Changing out to an LSD or preferably selectable locker would toughen up the diff but then change my weak point to the CV axles which are still cheaper then a gear set and setup kit.

Hopefully going this route I can still hit the trails and not worry about a huge hit to budget on an inconvenient time.

Avi did you just use some old axles parts for the 2wd conversion. Outer stub and inner stub?

Avi did you just use some old axles parts for the 2wd conversion. Outer stub and inner stub?
You got it, actually got them from one of the Ohio TTora Chapter members after Andy and I went out there for a spring fling event and 15 minutes into the trails I destroyed my 4.30 front diff.... I got them after I got home unfortunately lol but I always kept them with me while I am A.D.D in the front, when I switch back to manual locking hubs I shouldn't need them but will probably keep them just in case.

continuing with this 74 rebuild....have to say i really like the buds 0.1875" quarters.

74buds.jpg

74buds2.jpg

I wanted to be able to move the empty flat deck trailer around with the FJ40, as our tow rig is the wife’s Expedition and if she’s running around with a bunch of kids I don’t always have access to it. I’ve had an old trailer hitch that I think originally came off a Chevy pickup, so on it went. It runs full width behind the bumper and welds into the frame rails pls the bumper itself. Should be fine for light duty stuff, and serve as a recovery point as well.

IMG_0558.jpeg

72082402349__4E7F364A-7CEF-4249-BD80-4E086564B90F.jpeg

IMG_0560.jpeg

So, the other week my eighty-plus-year-old father nearly took a bad spill in his garage. The steps to the kitchen have never had a handrail since it was built in the late sixties. I guess better late than never.

Bent up a tube, cut out some plates, welded them on, and powdercoated everything up. Have to head over there this afternoon to install it for them.

img_6507edit-jpg.3473578

And got it installed...

IMG_6509edit.JPG

Wow, nice work Andy.

I still can't believe that fits....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom