What are you using to work in your lifted engine bay? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Air down the tires and stand on the bumper

I like to lay my spare tire on the ground and stand on that. It's wide enough I can move around, it won't slide away, and it's the right height for me.

But that's only if I have it out.

Otherwise a milk crate and prepare to smack my face or belly on the truck somewhere.

This one looks promising...

I have one of these, it fits great over my 37's. Plus it's compact enough to keep in the truck all the time.

I also stand on my bumper or if working on the PS of the truck, I stand with my right foot on the frame and sit on the edge of the fender.

I’ve used a ladder and a step ladder with mixed results but neither is particularly stable. I’ve looked at the steps that attach to your tire but thought I’d ask before making a decision

Post pics if you’ve gottem and let me know if you’re satisfied about your solution

Thanks
Deflate the tires, do the work then air them back up. :smokin:

Deflate the tires, do the work then air them back up. :smokin:

That's what I do when I have to do a lot of underhood work.. Just pull the valve stem cores and then replace them and air up when I'm done.

That's what I do when I have to do a lot of underhood work.. Just pull the valve stem cores and then replace them and air up when I'm done.
And if you need it lower, take the rims off and lower it down onto a block of wood, or as low as you can go and still jack it back up after you rotate the tires

Small step ladder is the most universal aid but as we all know they slip/slide/tip is used 'outside' their safety envelope. I have considered something like a safe-t-step but haven't got one yet. The ladder does for most things.

I also will insert a hitch rack in my front 2" receiver hitch and walk back and forth on that.

Because I can.

I have this one .. ( pic from internet ) but it slip a lot ..

999999-71691223917.jpg

Extenz.

I may actually decide to pick one of those up today :hmm:

I see some people with a Little Giant Ladder aka a 'Transforma Ladder' but I find a simple five-step Aussie made two-sided Bailey step ladder much easier as it's not bulky or heavy.

I've tried most of the above, and have come to the conclusion, if you are deep under the hood trying to contort yourself into some ungodly shape to get that nut or bolt started, be prepared to catch yourself with your face, coz just as that thread gets half started after attempt 271, that milk crate, ladder, stool etc is gonna slip! :facepalm:

I cracked a rib doing that! Mostly I just use a little step ladder. I also have a tire step, it works pretty well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom