Voltage Regulator (int.) / How it works (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Taaadaa! lol I didn't even think of looking at images when I was looking up the part numbers before. A lot of the websites just kept linking to alternative alternators or don't seem to have much useful info.

Mick

So now you know the trick. Find a picture that shows the connector lay out. This works 100x faster than plowing through FSM's and wiring diagrams.
Make sure that you see multiple pictures with the same diagram to exclude errors.
Your OEM alternator is rated 55Amps. Most (aftermarket) replacements are upgraded to 75Amps.

Rudi

Hey @bj40green , thanks so much for putting the time in to explain these alternator and VR issues in such detail. I'm a mechanical engineer by schooling and experience and the sparky side of things tends to be intimidating and confusing. This is empowering, thanks again.

Calvin

well i cant quite make heads or tails in a situation of my own i have a 94 fjz80 that i am finishing up the
diesel swap in now . an the harness is a three wire with a post for battery and the alt i want to use is a two wire with a battery post . from your reading it must mean its a external regulated se up where the 80 series uses internal ? also i dont know the pin out of the plugs on ether alternator to tell whats what ?

Hi I need some help with my 1986 hilux that isn’t charging the battery. I have read through the forum and still can’t figure out the problem. It has a 6 wire external voltage regulator which I have replaced and still didn’t sort the problem and I also tried adjusting it to get a higher charging voltage. I then brought the alternator to get repaired and was told is was functioning as it should. I took some measurements from the voltage regulator, The black wire (ground) was 0.01v, The green wire was 0.19v, The blue wire was 11.4v, The white wire had the correct voltage said in this forum (can’t remember the figure at the minute), The yellow wire was 0v and the red wire was the battery voltage which was 12.04v. I checked the fuse and it is fine and checked grounds on the engine, one was broken but it still didn’t sort it. Any help or further suggestions would be appreciated. Many thanks in advance

Does anyone know how to wire in a alternator that has only the S and L terminals? (and B+ , i know this goes straight to the battery).
Where does the IG wire go to if you get rid of the external regulator?
I found a 90a internal regulated alternator with vacuum pump that is more ready available here in europe, will fabricate a custom bracket for it and most definitely have to bypass the ammeter because of the high output alt.

Its going in a 12v 1977 HJ45 LP-KW , original wiring loom is in good shape.
Attached is the connector style on the back of the alternator, and a pdf of the wiring diagram of my hj45

S L alternator.jpg

Attachments

• 393.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 85

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom