Unobtainium (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Speaking of heater ducts, a reproduction of the L200 duct for FJ40's with AC would be nice! :)

kgrhqeokn-e2s-rf-cmbn-eyohuvq-_3-jpg.538734

...truly awesome work...

Regarding the inner boot, I have an 11/72, which has a slightly different cut-out. About a year back I picked up a used Inner boot (model 9/73-1/79) and I had to cut it a bit and force it to fit. It's better than nothing, but does anyone know if they made a inner boot prior to the 9/73-1/79 model? SOR doesn't show anything prior to 9/73.

Looking forward to the upper vent gasket to be available.

Brian

Unless I find some creative way, small grommets are below the threshold from a cost perspective. However, if anyone has that grommet, please post a shot.

Regarding your earlier question about the floormat, I don't have any new update at this point. What I can share is that there is resistance from the supply chain to put the TOYOTA name on there. Nobody wants to be part of a lawsuit even if the chance is remote. The logo may have to be a separate piece that is glued on by the consumer. You'd be hard press to tell the difference if it's done right.

Here's a shot of my floor grommet - a bit beat up but still in place.

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1428908636.601863.jpg

Here's a shot of my floor grommet - a bit beat up but still in place.

View attachment 1060568
I asked early on about these (post #89)...just wondering what all the guys are doing for this unobtainable grommet on their pristine restorations...or that just need to be replaced. I bought an extra firewall heater hose grommet (90480-01167), but they are not the same size. Sure would be nice to be able to buy a new one...hint hint...

if your supplier can deal with vulcanizing, the black inserts/headrest grommets/guides at the top of the seats are unobtainable. when you go to do a seat resto (which most of these beauties eventually need), they are usually missing/broken/brittle. attached are pictures, not all are mine. the last one shows placement with optional plugs. (these would be neat to have too.)

thanks
andy

016.jpg

20150413_071826_resized.jpg

20150413_071837_resized.jpg

DSC01652.jpg

IMG_0852.jpg

When I did my seat restoration mine were under the PO's seat covers and fully intact! Of course I managed to step on one like a moron when it was out and I had set it down. A little crack... Not too bad. But I'd be willing to get @Racer65 one of mine to make them... ;)

It's one of those things that's going to bug you if it's not exactly those 6 characters with exactly that font.

I agree ... and it would be nice to have the correct letters imbossed into the floor-mat, but I for one could live with gluing it down, if necessary ... I still have the original but its showing its age big time ...

Last edited:
For the floor fuel grommet take a heater hose firewall grommet and cut the middle out. Glue the new halves together and it is a perfect match

For the floor fuel grommet take a heater hose firewall grommet and cut the middle out. Glue the new halves together and it is a perfect match
Or do like I did on a previous build and make the floorboard hole the same size as the firewall hole. :)

How does selling a small piece of rubber with the Toyota logo on it differ from selling a bigger piece of rubber with the Toyota logo on it? Both are potentially trademark violations. I think the best solution is to run small batches and run under the radar selling on mud only. Obviously not as profitable and your return on investment would take longer, but I think ultimately in the end you will sell more with the logo on it. I just can't see you selling enough of these to upset Toyota. Half of China is probably already replicating Toyota parts. If you decide not to add the logo how will yours differ from the mats that CCOT offers?

How does selling a small piece of rubber with the Toyota logo on it differ from selling a bigger piece of rubber with the Toyota logo on it? Both are potentially trademark violations. I think the best solution is to run small batches and run under the radar selling on mud only. Obviously not as profitable and your return on investment would take longer, but I think ultimately in the end you will sell more with the logo on it. I just can't see you selling enough of these to upset Toyota. Half of China is probably already replicating Toyota parts. If you decide not to add the logo how will yours differ from the mats that CCOT offers?

The difference is in risk management. The tooling is very expensive as well as the cost in general for any low production item. If something happens and they confiscate the mold and/or the merchandise, it would be huge loss. If the logo is treated as a separate product and they take that away, it's a survivable event. Besides, there are plenty of aftermarket vendors making small patches with logos on it. The door cap with TEQ logo that @ginmtb showed us is one such example. If you put a floor mat out there with TOYOTA on it it's a huge target. Imagine if hundreds of floor mat vendors all start doing that. Toyota will be forced to take action. Besides, it's not just my call. Most credible suppliers don't want to go there.

The economic reality is that it will be unfeasible to make this floor mat for MUD only. Making this floor mat requires a sizable investment; there is a reason companies like Spector and CCOT haven't done anything about it. Profitability is of secondary consideration to me, as I really want to produce this mat; however, economic feasibility is not optional.

Now let's talk about the logo. If you look at the floor mat, the logo is 3D above the surface. It has a well defined boundary. I think it will look fine as a patch. As a matter of fact, if you look at your OEM mat very carefully, it actually consists of 3 layers stuck together. There is foam layer in the middle, with a top layer containing all of the pattern and a backing layer on the other side.

Last edited:
By the way, the gray color mat for '79 and later trucks has much less of a logo issue, as there is only a single TOYOTA logo in the center. Sticking a patch there will almost look normal. Say...maybe I should've started with that mat instead.:)

if producing an optional glue down patch means the availability of a mat, and a patch reduces potential risk for the manufacturer/seller of the mat, then to me at least, it makes sense to go that route ... its not like there are many alternatives out there (aside from bidding a small fortune on fleabay) for anyone looking for a factory look mat for their 40 ...

Happy to see the vent gasket becoming available... Have the pull handles for early seat tilt been considered? They always snap...

Racer, I'll pre order the floor mat for a 78' now . Thanks for keeping these beasts running!

Racer, I'll pre order the floor mat for a 78' now . Thanks for keeping these beasts running!

Ha ha no pressure right? :) Hopefully I'll be able to provide more concrete information over the course of summer.

Have the pull handles for early seat tilt been considered? They always snap...
Not on the roadmap at this time. However, I'm curious if there is some statistics on how many survivor trucks are out there for the different years. That type of info would be really helpful to figure out if there is demand for items like this.

that also looks alot like the grommets on the FJ60 firewall where the AC hoses pass though
It'd be great if a close substitute can be found. A grommet should really just cost a few bucks. I think I would feel a little silly to sell the perfect grommet for the price of dinner.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom