Unobtainium (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

SOR says it's the same for 9/71-7/80 FJ40/FJ55.

In this case it looks like the folks in this forum did more homework than SOR :)

There are 3 iterations of fuse boxes since 9/71:

The first iteration is the fuse box I just showed above.
The second iteration is a similar looking fuse box that appeared in 1978 only. It has a different layout with a small "Radio" fuse at the bottom.
The third iteration is one with the brown cover that is still broadly available.

1 2 3 in pictures:

imageuploadedbyih8mud-forum1425999324-384933-jpg.1043282
fuse-panel-cover_text-jpg.886438

fuseblock1-jpg.1044374

Last edited:
Any plans to offer just the cover?

I don't rule it out; however, not likely in the near future.

It just turns out to be a better value proposition to sell the whole unit. The cover is expensive to make due to the equipment needed to do the small prints on plastic.

Notice the tiny initials of my company next to the TEQ logo? ;)

I don't rule it out; however, not likely in the near future.

It just turns out to be a better value proposition to sell the whole unit. The cover is expensive to make due to the equipment needed to do the small prints on plastic.

Notice the tiny initials of my company next to the TEQ logo? ;)

First, great job on this -- it really looks good.

Unfortunately, I also would be interested in the cover only. Simply too expensive to buy both when I only need one of the two parts. As I mentioned in an earlier post, the fuse box cover was lost or discarded on many, many trucks, but the fuse box itself almost never (unless broken or removed by a P.O.). You are in a better position to price your offerings than I am, but I think you are leaving "money on the table" by not offering just the cover.

You are in a better position to price your offerings than I am, but I think you are leaving "money on the table" by not offering just the cover.

X2 ^^^ ..Every TLC that I looked at, prior to buying my 76, was missing the fuse box cover only....Just say'en.

Would the block fit and work on a '78 or would re-wiring at the rear of the block have to be done?

I'm pretty sure the '78 needs a different box, but it's a good question whether it can be made to adapt the earlier box. There is a thread on the '78 fuse box and it may be worth exploring the topic with the experts there.

First, great job on this -- it really looks good.

Unfortunately, I also would be interested in the cover only. Simply too expensive to buy both when I only need one of the two parts. As I mentioned in an earlier post, the fuse box cover was lost or discarded on many, many trucks, but the fuse box itself almost never (unless broken or removed by a P.O.). You are in a better position to price your offerings than I am, but I think you are leaving "money on the table" by not offering just the cover.

How about the following: If anyone on MUD really want to go this route, I will sell the cover for $38 + $3 shipping.

I won't promote this option anywhere else, as I still think it's a better value proposition to buy the whole assembly (for the reason Sarge mentioned above as well as for economic reasons) -- but I don't want to stop you from making this choice.

Jeeebus, people - just buy the whole thing. I did, and my '74 truck only has 64K miles on it. I wish this option were around when I had all kinds of electrical issues with my '75 that was solved with scrounging a decent-condition used box.

Just an opinion - it's not a bad idea to offer both or even as a set , just due to age it would be a great idea to replace that fuse box with a new unit and avoid later corrosion and age issues .

Sarge

This^^^

I had tons of electrical issues until I really cleaned up my fuse box. Sanded until things were shiny. Having a new one would've saved me tons of time and headaches. The irony is my cover was used for the print of these covers. :)

I know a lot of us are doing restorations, and the mentality is to make everything purdy and complete, but let's not not forget about functionality. In "electrical" years, the 1970's was ancient times. If you consider the fact that your car's entire electrical system plugs into this one box made in the 70's, you'd appreciate its value even to serve as a spare, before there is any urgency...because Toyota won't be there when the box goes toast.

In any case, it's my way of saying, don't judge the value of a fuse box by its cover :)

Last edited:
You mention MUD pricing several times, plus the "cover-only" MUD offer. Do we just PM you with our needed parts to avail the MUD member pricing?

Thanks,
Joel

Yes, just PM me and I will give you the MUD pricing. If you email me instead, please mention MUD. One caveat is that international shipping cost will be added for non-U.S. shipping addresses.

Currently under assessment. One issue is that I can't print "Toyota" on it. Just consulted a lawyer.
However, you CAN print the teq logo

I don't know about others, but I sure could use one of these: part # 90480-01419 View attachment 998836I tried fitting the firewall grommet for the heater hoses there, but it's not the same size, for the floor hole or the hoses.
I could use one of these---

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom