Transmission Blow Today- St. George UT (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

To the OP, again sorry for your misfortune.

If I could ask two favors of you:

- Would you be willing to send a fluid sample into Blackstone? It would be very beneficial to the 100 community to have a reference sample of what a failed trans looks like in a spectrum analysis.

- Could you post any details of your situation to this thread so that we can continue to capture all known data surrounding the failure mode?

"FJ55-100" gave me a sample of the fluid. I can mail it to you next week. PM me your information, I'll give you my paypal email.

Last edited:
Little trip out today with the "new" transmission. Was riding around in a new Ford for the last few days. That experience really made me appreciate how solid/nice these 100's are.

19-1.jpg

Just for curiosity sake, what would a new transmission cost (I have a '99)?

Around 3500-3600 installed is about the current rate. Though, you cannot buy new from Toyota, only remanufactured. Beno has said that a few reman units are actually new units from Toyota never installed, but it seems rare.

You have a good attitude. And it does suck! Glad all is well again.

Sorry about your tranny woes/cost. If its any consolation my parent's 2006 Chevy Tahoe, they bought new, blew the tranny at 59,xxx miles...and about the same cost to swap.

... and my folks too, with their 03 TL Type S blowing the trans at ~ 60k. $4k fix. V6 Honda products from 00-04 have disposable autoboxes and there's no TSB that can fix them. They all fail.

OregonLC, In case you didn't know, Honda/Acura extended that transmission warranty to 109k miles. Luckily, we never had a problem with our transmission in the 186k miles we owned it.

OregonLC, In case you didn't know, Honda/Acura extended that transmission warranty to 109k miles. Luckily, we never had a problem with our transmission in the 186k miles we owned it.

That might be true but you were seen by others driving that thing :)

Yes, but it still times out in months. And after that there is no coverage. Often it's the 2nd owner that gets to do the magic repair.

What year was your Honda?

SWUtah said:
That might be true but you were seen by others driving that thing :)

Not me, it was the wife's commute car.

OregonLC, I'll PM you.

At this point we all know about the faulty bearing. But does anyone wonder if 2000s actually fail at a higher rate than 2001s and 2002s. Or is it because more 2000s were sold than 2001 and 2002s combined?

Calendar year United States
2000 15,509
2001 7,591
2002 6,752

Way more were sold in 98,99 than 2000 right? But it's rare to see a failure pre 2000...

At this point we all know about the faulty bearing. But does anyone wonder if 2000s actually fail at a higher rate than 2001s and 2002s. Or is it because more 2000s were sold than 2001 and 2002s combined?

Calendar year United States
2000 15,509
2001 7,591
2002 6,752

Yes, 2001 was the start of the 'Sequoia Effect'. However Rob did a great job of compiling data to show the statistical variance in this post. Needs to be updated with the last 18 months of posts since then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom