transforming the dent (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The white fj60 is lovingly called the dent for obvious reasons. Pic 2 is a cruiser i am picking up tommorow morning. Beige cruiser has motor problems that i am not completely sure about yet. Po claims it ran but was running rough. He attempted to rebuild the carb and after that it would only run on 2 cylinders. However he also claims good compression across all cylinders so :confused:. I figured i may be better off taking my drivetrain out and putting it in the beige one. This will be an extremely slow process so do not look for alot of updates anytime soon. I do plan on at least trying to figure out the engine issue before i take it out though. Oh and he claimed it has been sitting for 3 years but the sticker ran out in 07 i believe. Anyway for $600 i think i did good.
the dent.jpg
cruiser3.jpg

so i picked it up today. Got it for only $600! These are the compression #'s they came up with.
cyl 1-160
cyl2-110
cyl3-160
cyl4-145
cyl5-135
cyl6-165

I have not looked at it yet but according to them it was only running on cylinders 1 and 2. Something does not seem quite right. Before i swap motors i am going to make sure they did not fubar something up on the current one.

The Dent looks well loved...

Congratulations,it looks like you "cut a fat hog in the ass" with that purchase! Those compression numbers spell trouble, but try a valve adjustment just for fun and because it is free.

Very Nice!

So the "dented" one is the $600 buy? Seems like a great buy just for spare parts alone. Congrats!

-Daniel

Sent from deep in the mountains of Honduras using only sticks and rocks.

Adventure Copan said:
So the "dented" one is the $600 buy? Seems like a great buy just for spare parts alone. Congrats!

-Daniel

No the beige one was the $600 rig!

OK so if I spray Carb cleaner into the Carb it will start but then die. Same if I pour a little gas in. I checked the pump and it works as well. Could the float be stuck in the Carb. Acts to me like it is not getting any gas. Going to pull compression numbers Thursday as well

There is a sight glass on the front of an AISIN carb where you can see the level of the gas in the carb. Try watching that. If float bowl in stuck in the up position, your gas level in the bowl should drop out of sight.

There is a little screen in the gasline where it enters the carb. This thing can bet plugged partially and cause your symptoms.

Definitely sounds like fuel delivery problems.

the gimpey one said:
No the beige one was the $600 rig!

Oh...WOW!

-Daniel

Heartworm said:
There is a sight glass on the front of an AISIN carb where you can see the level of the gas in the carb. Try watching that. If float bowl in stuck in the up position, your gas level in the bowl should drop out of sight.

There is a little screen in the gasline where it enters the carb. This thing can bet plugged partially and cause your symptoms.

Definitely sounds like fuel delivery problems.

My thoughts as well. Gonna take it apart later this week.

Got the tcase oil leaks taken care of on the white one, or it is out of oil:doh:. Going to look at the beige one tonight and see if the motor can be revived!!

ok so a fellow cruiserhead and i looked the "calico" 60 over and this is what we found.
1. Gas tank is rusted inside. Fueal was dirt brown. Drained the tank out and will either figure out how to clean it out or swap it with the tanks from the dent.
2. Alternator wiring is missing the green hookup that goes to the back of it?????
3. Fuel cutoff solenoid was not hooked up to anything preventing it from getting gas.
3. Massive air leak somewhere but unable to diagnose as of yet.

We had it running momentarily under its own power but not well enough yet to find the cause of the air leak. Idle is super high. We are headed in the right direction though.

calle local toyota dealership today. Recalls have not been done. I am waiting for them to call me back on whether or not the parts are still available.

Talked to them again today and supposedly there is one tank left out there. Hopefully it is the correct one. Said something about campaign part #'s do not work anymore. Had to look it up using regular part #. Hoping it comes thru and i can get it swapped for the cost of the tow truck to get it to them.

Talked to them again today and supposedly there is one tank left out there. Hopefully it is the correct one. Said something about campaign part #'s do not work anymore. Had to look it up using regular part #. Hoping it comes thru and i can get it swapped for the cost of the tow truck to get it to them.

the parts are out there for the recalls... I just had the gas tank recall done last fall on my 60 and there was no problem with finding parts... It took about a week for them to come in... just make sure the parts guy you are dealing with is not being lazy...

good luck and don't take no for an answer from the dealer... there are some threads out there about the recalls, just search and you will find plenty of info...

:cheers:

The dealership i plan on taking it to supports our club as well so i think it will go fairly smooth.

so i had the rig towed to the dealership today. They had a hard time finding the vin # in the system. After about 30 minutes it turned out that the truck was originally sold in japan. After so long i guess someone had it imported here. So if you have your vin ran and they can not find it ask if they checked all databases!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom