Transfer Case Rebuild & Modification (High & Low Range Gears and Part-Time 4wd Kit) (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Dudes,

I was lucky enough to partner with an expert in the industry to bring you guys a 4-Part series showing how to rebuild and modify the HF2AV transfer case. The expert I'm talking about is Georg Esterer @orangefj45 who owns Valley Hybrids in Stockton, California. Georg's Valley Hybrids shop is a Land Cruiser specialty shop that's been in business for over 20 years. Georg has been turning wrenches on Land Cruisers for the past 30 years and has a wealth of knowledge to share. Georg does a phenomenal job of describing every little detail of the rebuild and modification process. You will not find a better instructor than Georg for this job, in my opinion.

All the parts for this job came from Cruiser Brothers. They stock the rebuild kits, high and low range gear sets and the part-time kits and a whole lot more for your FJ80 Land Cruiser. Home - CruiserBrothers - https://cruiserbrothers.com/

I know you guys will appreciate this series. Here's Part 1:

Last edited:
I've only had two apart, and wish I'd seen this first. Really great content! I'll be using these when I put in my Sumo gears.

Saw the first one, and loved it. You guys did a great job. Really appreciate you doing this, and looking forward to the next in the series.

@Timmy65 - Awesome! Great video as well! In part 2, you gave the part number for the smaller Snap-On Puller. Do you mind also giving us the part number for the larger one?

I just did it last week along with a bunch of other stuff (Radiator, AC Condenser, thermostat, throttle body cleaning and gasket, etc).
Have it at TDC before you pull the old belt. It won't jump and then you can just put the new belt on without moving anything.

@Timmy65 - Awesome! Great video as well! In part 2, you gave the part number for the smaller Snap-On Puller. Do you mind also giving us the part number for the larger one?

That larger puller is not a Snap On puller. That puller is made by Proto. I don't have the model # for it. They are a bit on the pricer side.

Instead of buying a used Proto puller set, and the smaller Snap On puller, I'm thinking of buying the following two kits from OTC. I own many OTC puller sets and they have served me well.

OTC Puller Set, 11 Pieces, Multipurpose, 2 Jaws - 4532

OTC 4534 Multi Purpose Bearing and Pulley Puller Set

If you do a search for them, you'll find them for sale on Amazon and other sites.

Last edited:
Does this apply to the diesel trucks with the 442F tranny, eg 1991 HDJ-81?

I see. I've got a ton of pullers. I just thought those seemed like they work perfectly for the job. I notice in the video that Georg mentioned that he was installing Sumo gears. Does he prefer them over Marlin Crawler?

Last edited:
I see. I've got a ton of pullers. I just thought those seemed like they work perfectly for the job. I notice in the video that George mentioned that he was installing Sumo gears. Does he prefer them over Marlin Crawler?
Marlin Crawler also uses Sumo Gears made in Japan. It's places like Trail Gear that use lower quality gears made in China. If the gears are way more affordable, there's a reason for that.

I see. I've got a ton of pullers. I just thought those seemed like they work perfectly for the job. I notice in the video that George mentioned that he was installing Sumo gears. Does he prefer them over Marlin Crawler?
Tim is correct. The gears were originally designed by Marlin AND Sumo Gear; they were friends for a very long time. So the Marlin gears were always made by Sumo.

Hope that helps.

Georg @ Valley Hybrids @ Cruiser Brothers

Does this apply to the diesel trucks with the 442F tranny, eg 1991 HDJ-81?
Depends on the country/region of origin. Some of the early diesel 80s had the HF1A case. These cases require a slightly different rebuild kit ( although they’re vastly the same and the videos will apply to the majority of the rebuild ) but the Sumo gears ( high and low ) won’t work. Marks down under offers gear sets for the HF1A.
The HF1A is a rare bird. If you’re going to go thru the trouble to rebuild/rehear one, then you might want to consider switching to an HF2A as long as your 1A has a shift servo. It’ll be much easier to find replacement parts, rebuild kits, gear sets and replacement cases.

Hope that helps.

Georg @ Valley Hybrids @ Cruiser Brothers

Thanks for the helpful info! I'm sure mine is an HF2A, as it is a '96 model that came from the Canary Islands. (Spain)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom