TLCA Raffle Truck build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hey I loaded up the rollbar yesterday to take to GSMTR. I'll give it to Cam and he can haul it back. It's one of the grey ones from an early 80's cruiser. All the pads are on it. Even the seatblets but they look faded.

Last edited:
Wow!

Thanks Marshall.

Do you mind PM'ing your email address? Thx.

The Second Build Day

Here are some pictures from the second build day we had for this project. Steve, Sam, Tracy & TJ, Allen and his son, Jon, and myself started to tear down the truck that Dan has donated for the build. Hard top was removed, winch cut off, doors removed, seats removed, windshield removed. Other odds and ends removed.

Iron Pig has graciously cleared out a few shelved for us to store parts on and we took advantage. The heat index was near 120 but some big fans helped out.

DSC_0045.JPG

DSC_0047.JPG

DSC_0053.JPG

DSC_0056.JPG

DSC_0059.JPG

DSC_0063.JPG

That is way cool. I can see what you guys meant about the interior having a ton of good parts to work with. That dash pad looks absolutely mint!

Do you have a pic of the rotted air cleaner Jon told me about?

Props to IPOR for stepping up on the space to help make this happen.:cheers:

We talked about setting several at the last meeting so guys can plan for it. Vince wasn't able to attend due to Fall Crawl prep so we are still waiting on available dates from Iron Pig. I'll send Vince a note tonight.

A BODREP asked about the Raffle Truck on the teleconference (Wednesday, 26 October 2011). I told them that we haven't had a work day on it since June (I was close, the last work day was actually July). Further, I said that you are preparing a calendar to set work dates.

This is the project build season, folks, so reach deep and get your motivation and we (all of us collectively) finish the project on time next Spring.

I still want to do the axles, front and rear. I think a couple of guys have volunteer to assist or co-refurbish. I just need to understand where this procedure fits within the "big picture" and timeline.

A BODREP asked about the Raffle Truck on the teleconference (Wednesday, 26 October 2011). I told them that we haven't had a work day on it since June (I was close, the last work day was actually July). Further, I said that you are preparing a calendar to set work dates.

This is the project build season, folks, so reach deep and get your motivation and we (all of us collectively) finish the project on time next Spring.

I still want to do the axles, front and rear. I think a couple of guys have volunteer to assist or co-refurbish. I just need to understand where this procedure fits within the "big picture" and timeline.

Assuming that the calendar grants permission, I'm there. I still have in my possession some parts that need to be blasted and primed. I'm up for aiding an axle rebuild as well.

I am definitely willing to put in some time...being new to the club, I'd like to earn my keep.

- Mark

To give everyone an update Bart, Steve, Sam, Jon, Chris (jakes40) and myself had a good day yesterday getting the donor truck just about completely taken apart. We have a pile of scrap metal and that will be sold for salvage to help fund the project and also parts that are not going to be used on the raffle truck are going to be sold to help raise funds also.

Tracy & Fernando are planning to work on what is left to dismantle on the donor truck Sat 12/17 and do some more work on the raffle truck. Anyone who would like to help is more than welcome to join in.

Right now the truck is located in Manassas. There is a thread started on the clcc site to pick a date or dates for Jan. After this weekend it will probably be removing the tub and cleaning the frame.

Thanks, Tom

17 December

A few of us got together this weekend to continue the progress on the raffle truck. Arrived to find that the parts-donor truck had been reduced to two piles--one of salvageable parts and another pile for the metal recycler! We made some frame and shackle cuts and hoisted the rust-encrusted and seized engine into Tom's truck.

100_4151.jpg

Then we loaded the rest of the scrap metal from last weekend.

100_4153.jpg

100_4155.jpg

While Tom and Jon took the metal to the recycle center, Steve and I worked on the remaining body mounts, and removed the hoses and hard-lines from the firewall.

Steve had to leave early, so Tom, Jon, and I removed the body from the tub. This image is the "bottom" of the body tub.

100_4156.jpg

Here's a picture or two of the truck with the body tub removed.

100_4157.jpg

100_4159.jpg

While we were cleaning up, Steve's girlfriend stopped by--she was unaware that he was leaving early. We invited her to join us for pizza and pitchers, but she said she has something special planned with Steve! Lucky boy!

100_4160.jpg

Well pinch me, it's REALLY happening! It's nothing short of awesome what a handful of dedicated cruiserheads can do for the TLCA...despite the TLCA.

It looks to me like you guys are about ready for a set of Mark's Off Road shackles, u-bolt skidplates and bump stop extensions for that suspension. Say the word and they'll be on the way to Tom's. I'd send them to Jon, but he needs them too!;p

I don't remember anymore what the springs look like, but if replacements are in order, I suppose I could have a word with Eli at Camel 4x4.;)

Happy Holidays

Hey Guys,
I spent part of today going thru drawers and boxes to see what I could find for the raffle truck

Have / Need
1- front rotor seal / 1- more
1-inner axle seal / 1- more
1- OEM front gasket kit
2- front axle outer bearings, if needed / possibly may need inner bearings
/ need Knuckle bearings
rear axle bearings, seals
OEM gasket kit for 4 spd tranny
enough cork and paper diff gaskets to
do a few cruisers

pardon me for my computer skills

Users who are viewing this thread