TLCA Raffle Truck build

Discussion in 'VA/DC/MD- Capital Land Cruiser Club' started by StaleAle, Nov 25, 2010.

1. StaleAle

StaleAle MUD-aholic SILVER Star

Fellow Cruiserheads -

TLCA has voted to postpone the ebay auction of the FJ40 that was donated by Mark's Off Road in order to allow the Capitol Land Crusier Club and the Bay to Blue Ridge Crusiers a chance to get organized to build the truck into a Raffle-worthy vehicle.

The truck was donated to TLCA by Mark Algazy of Mark's Off Road. The intent is for member clubs to team together and build the Land Cruiser as a fund raiser for TLCA. Funds raised will be used for TLCA operations as well as grants for Land Use advocacy groups such as Blue Ribbon Coalition, Save Tellico, etc. The timeframe we are shooting for is to have the truck built in 2011 and to show it as much as possible before holding the raffle drawing at one of the major wheeling events in 2012.

The truck is currently residing in sunny CA. CLCC is willing to contribute club funds to help cover the costs of trailering the rig from CA to IPOR in Frederickburg, VA. The logistics for this are being worked out.

As was discussed at the last CLCC meeting, several members from both clubs have already expressed strong interest in donating their time, tools, supplies, equipment, and spare parts from their personal stash for this effort. Iron Pig Off Road has kindly offered their shop in Fredericksburg, VA to serve as a home base to allow the Capitol Land Cruiser Club and the Bay to Blue Ridge Cruisers to team together on this project. This geographically central location will allow the majority of willing members from both clubs to attend scheduled work days to make this build happen. We can also trailer the rig to other locations for a few work weekends to give other East Coast club members a chance to participate.

I have a list of parts that will be needed as well as tasks that need to be completed. We will also be soliciting donations from vendors and service providers for outfitting the rig in a manner fitting teh proper use of a vintage Land Cruiser.

Send me a PM with your email address so I can send you the list if you are interested.
  2. 76FJ40

76FJ40 Old Fart SILVER Star

What year is the truck so we can tell if we have spare parts to donate?
  3. D'Animal

D'Animal Rescuer of Beagle and Landcruisers Moderator

Last edited: Nov 26, 2010
  4. StaleAle

Here is the list of missing or parts needing replacement that Mark supplied. Thanks to D'Animal for digging up this list:

Missing/Replacement Parts- 77 FJ40
    Front Bumper (Winch ready?)
    Tow Hook and bolts - donated by 76FJ40; need bolts
    Headlight assys - donated by 76FJ40
    Grill - donated by 76FJ40
    All Emblems
    Front Turn Signal assys - one assembly donated by 76FJ40; need a 2nd assembly
    Hood Bumpers - donated by Trollhole
    Hood Latches - donated by StaleAle
    Windshield Latches - donated by 76FJ40

Windshield Bumpers - donated by Trollhole

Windshield - - donated by Woytovich
    Windshield pad - donated by 76FJ40
    All Windshield Wiper components
    Motor - donated by Trollhole
    Motor Cover - donated by 76FJ40
    Wiper arms and mounting hardware - donated by Trollhole
    Wiper blades
    AC and hardware
    Kick Vents - donated by 76FJ40
    Door Hing Plates - from the donor parts truck that was donated by Dan of BigTow Auto Transport & Recovery
    Running boards - donated by 76FJ40
    Fuel Cap Door B] - donated by Trollhole[/B]
    Rear side marker lights - from the donor parts truck that was donated by Dan of BigTow Auto Transport & Recovery

Rear Tailgate - from the donor parts truck that was donated by Dan of BigTow Auto Transport & Recovery

Spare Tire carrier - donated by 76FJ40
    Spare Tire carrier latch - donated by 76FJ40

2.5” Lift Springs for front - donated by OffcamberFJ
    4” Lift Springs for rear - donated by OffcamberFJ

We really could use some donations for the following items:

Fuel tank
    Fuel tank sender
    Need a 2nd turn signal assembly

Exterior below frame:
    Knuckle Rebuild Kit
    Front Wheel Bearings
    Trunion Bearings
    FJ 60 (Asian) Locking Hubs
    Brake pads
    Brake lines
    Rotors?

Parking Brake Cable
    Parking Brake Brake Shoes
    U-Joints

HD Shackles, U-bolt Skid Plates and Bump Stop extensions - donated by Mark's Off Road
    Spring Bushings - donated by 76FJ40's son Matt
    Interior
    We have front seat frames, steering column, steering wheel and a few knobs on the dash and a gas tank cover.
    refurbish and replace missing knobs and switches - donated by Trollhole

We now have a roll bar - donated by Trollhole

2 Jump Seats - donated by 76FJ40; decent/repairable

Potential Enhancements provided appropriate parts are donated:
    Power Steering - We now have a PS box - donated by John Embry

SOA
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2011
  5. StaleAle

Suggested Tasks - This is Mark's assessment of what needs to be done. Thanks to D'Animal for digging up this list
    010-Engine Tune up [need cap, rotor, points, plugs, wires, PCV valve]
    020-Valve adjustment; install painted air cleaner and polished valve cover, air filter, valve cover gasket [TBD]
    030-Oil & filter change, check motor mounts
    040-Coolant and hose replacement [TBD] Front and rear heaters, hoses, ducts, connectors
    050-rebuilt carburetor [supplied by Mark’s Off Road]
    054-stock exhaust manifold and exhaust pipe [TBD]
    056-stock gas tank [I think I have the cover somewhere!]
    060-need some of the smog equipment, including air pump and hoses [TBD]
    070-clutch parts [if transmission is removed for service] [TBD]
    080-transmission resealed
    090-transfer case resealed
    100-rear end axle seals and pinion seals. WE NEED TIRES!
    110-front axle knuckle service, possibly on a different axle housing
    120-steering box resealed, center arm and tie rod ends replaced [TBD]
    130-new bushings, shackles and shocks on existing or replacement springs
    140-replace all hydraulic hoses with stainless braided lines and flush system, possibly replace calipers and rotors.
    150-body. This is where it gets tough to get a complete list up front, but I will note the following

150-headlight buckets, bezel, bezel screws [ I can provide brand new sealed beam headlights]
    151-hood rest shims, hood hooks, windshield hooks and windshield rest bumpers, hood hinge pads and screws
    152-windshield frame [the one that’s on it is so, so] windshield glass, windshield rubber [I can provide this] windshield wiper motor and linkage, plastic defroster. Upper and lower dash pads Radio cutout insert or stereo.
    153-the truck has no top or doors. I do not see this as a problem, as I envision the truck having a roll cage, which would be more prominently displayed without top and doors.
    154-I have both front seats, but they will need to be reupholstered and need some of the brackets, as well as headrests.

156-carpet kit, stock running boards or sliders, transmission tunnel gasket

157-tailgate panel or functioning tailgate. Might want to leave this unmolested [with the holes for the amby doors] in case the owner wants to install a hardtop.

158-tire carrier [I have it, but don’t have the hook to latch it to, or the rubber stop that goes on the tub]

159-emblems. All missing.

160-Headlights [covered] Front and rear turn signals missing, as well as rear side markers.

163-Instrument cluster-doesn’t look original to the truck. I would recommend a replacement be located.
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2010
  6. Trollhole

Trollhole THC Moderator Supporting Vendor

I'm in just e-mail me the list and I'll send what I can. Also if you want me to do this and you can strip all the parts down and we somehow get them to me I'll have them all replated in yellow zinc and sent back.
  7. Trollhole

Trollhole THC Moderator Supporting Vendor

Holy crap! Seriously? That was considered a basket case? That is a very buildable cruiser. Considering it will be at IPOR I have no doubt that this will come out to be a fine cruiser.
  8. TRFCSUX

TRFCSUX

raffle truck

I'm in and a agree with Marshall, looks like a pretty good start. Better than i was expecting for sure.
  9. D'Animal

I agree.

In order to follow the scope of the project and raffle this as a fully restored 1977 FJ40 with a mild lift and 33's, it will take a lot.
  10. StaleAle

Don't forget, those of us that love Cruisers on the East Coast have a different standard as to what is restorable. We also have a lot of parts trucks to pick from.
  11. mwalls54

mwalls54 Cruiser Nutjob SILVER Star

I thought the same thing when I saw the pic's last year or when ever it was. Us east coast guys just wish we could find 35 year old rigs with no rust.

12. kulangot

kulangot

Dan,

With all due respect, the cliche of "east coast mint" really applies here. I lived in LA and saw what was for sale there and for how much. You guys have it good! To a east coaster in the rust belt or north of it, this truck is a great find!

To someone in LA LA land (west coast) this is a hopeless basket case. To each his own!
  13. IPOR

IPOR Supporting Vendor

Yeah, definitely a clean truck. We need to get the plan in motion to get the rig here to the East coast while everyone is motivated to work on it. We have a lot of random small parts here at IPOR that will probably help to get it back together.
  14. TRFCSUX

TRFCSUX

update

Any news on the transportation of said 40, anybody post it on mud ship ? Is TLCA interested in helping to get it here ? :confused:
  15. StaleAle

Our first preference would be hitching a ride back with someone returning from KOH. The truck can be started but the hydraulics have been drained so no clutch and no brakes. It will probably have to be winched onto a trailer.

Mudship is the next option.

I've talked to Mark A. about a 3rd option, but we need to explore the first two as the 3rd will take awhile.

There's actually a 4th option as well, a 72 hour road trip out and back with 3-4 guys driving in shifts....if we get desperate.
  16. matzell

matzell SILVER Star

You will need more than 72 hours unless you are doing a Cannon Ball run! It took us 44 hours to get home from Yucca Valley last year and that was non stop driving (3 people) with little to no delays. Marks is about another 70-90 miles from there. I am trying to find a spot on a trailer heading this way, I will let everyone know if I do find a spot.

Rob
  17. Thornton

Thornton SILVER Star

Thanks for your help in checking into this Rob. It is greatly appreciated.
  18. D'Animal

Matzell

The rig is not at Mark's place. It is at my place.

For mileage calculations, figure Fresno, CA

Dan
  19. matzell

matzell SILVER Star

ok, so add about 5 hours... one way, still checking...
  20. StaleAle

Maybe not with Cam driving :eek:

Thanks Rob!