The Ultimate BBQ Thread (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Cool, I've been thinking the same thing and wondering why I hadn't heard more about it. Smoke it and wrap it in foil and towels in the cooler? Tips would be welcomed. Thanks

I've given up on smoking chucks unless I want moderately tender slicing meat. Always seem to have the same problem - they'll stall at about 140-160 for waaaaay too many hours. A normal cook for me with them is generally 8-9 hours and it's rare that they'll hit even 190 after that long, let alone 195 or 205 or whatever. I'm doing pork if I'm cooking for that kind of time. I've been largely unable to get shreddable meat with chuck. The flavor is good but it's never tender enough. Plus, it's gotten DAMNED expensive lately.

Yes, I do foil and towels in the cooler for about 2 hours.

ye$ they have. They are still cheaper than most hamburger and I buy them to grind up but I've thought about smoking one.

ye$ they have. They are still cheaper than most hamburger and I buy them to grind up but I've thought about smoking one.

What are yall paying for beef? I haven't bought anything but brisket in the last 6 months. I'm hoping to work out a deal soon to own a couple steer on a friend's ranch and keep quality beef and game as our main source of meat. It likely won't be a lot cheaper, but at least I'll know where the animal came from.

75/25 for $3.29 on sale at Safeway for eample

Oh crap that's right. Ham it is. maybe I'll sneak some shrooms in there

Easter ham is my plan.

Funny, I just looked yesterday at buying a half cow to fill the freezer and was surprised at how much spendier it was than Costco.

Yeah, you run into the very high end of the market sourcing grass fed beef around here. For butchered meat, about 3x the cost of the beef in stores.

When I get back on my feet (wife out of school and into new career), I plan on getting a little deeper into cattle esp if I can lease land at attractive terms. Or I'll just have to hunt more!

Not the most correct Good Friday dinner, but it will do!

Baby Backs, after 30 minutes - first spritzing :)

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1428094311.682428.jpg

Just prior to serving
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1428104336.546980.jpg

It is amazing the kind of damage two people can do to ribs. I am a bit slow to move now ;)

@JohnVee seems similar to here. All meat, esp organic is going through the roof. My wife does the shopping and I noticed the sliced turkey breast she likes is up to $12.50 lb which is unreal. We are going to have to find some organic whole birds or just substitute sliced chicken.

Here's some pork butt I smoked with hickory in my drum yesterday. Really simple cook, cooked until about 180°f, then wrapped the last hour until it hit about 210°. Looking forward to some bbq today and pork tacos tomorrow and the next day.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:
Do you wrap it in order to preserve the moisture inside the meat, or just so it can hit a higher internal temperature?

Do you wrap it in order to preserve the moisture inside the meat, or just so it can hit a higher internal temperature?

With pork butt, I foil wrap mainly so I can finish it off quicker. Seems like a pretty durable piece of meat. With brisket I wrap in butcher paper after 4-6 hours typically, when the bark is well set. Sometimes I'll wrap brisket in foil if it's being stubborn and I need to raise temp quicker.

With tri tip I don't wrap anything. If I only use the smoker I keep it in there for 6 hours and give it some heat too toward the end.
Sometimes if I am more in a hurry I will have it on the smoker for about 3.5 hrs and about 30-45 min on the grill 275-300F according to the thermometer on the grill. Internal temp I don't know where it's at.
6 hrs on the smoker the way I do it seems to be a perfect balance for me in terms of the meat being cooked, yet still moist/juicy on the inside.
Dry rub only.

Do you cook tri-tip to medium for slicing or do you cook it to a higher temp to shred it? I've never had it. With pork shoulder/butt and brisket the fat is what keeps it moist and juicy so I feel like there's probably not as much technique involved.... Just keep cooking it until it's tender.

I don't like my meat uncooked. Can't stand to see any "pink" in it.
I always slice it. It has enough fat in it to keep it moist, unless the cooking temp is way too high and it all renders.
During winter, I like to slice is first (dry rub first of course) and put inside the fireplace over red hot coals. it cooks faster but still very tasty.

I try to keep the cooking temp inside the smoker as constant as possible for consistency in smoke, tenderness and flavor.

Got a video on my fireplace bbq I did a few months ago during the last harsh California winter we had. :) All windows were wide open, not because of the smoke, but rather because of the heat. :)

Awesome thanks for sharing. I'm finally getting my new grill/smoker at the end of the week. I bought it in Mexico but had to fly back and it's been slowly making its way north through family. I'll be using it for coal grilling and occasional shorter smokes. It will be nice to get back to real grilling, I was using a brinkmann gas grill and it pretty much was terrible. Finally curbed it.

New grill (gray one):
image.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom