The Ultimate BBQ Thread (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

AWESOME, In a past life I helped cook 30-35 top rounds every Labor Day weekend in Lodgepole, NE that weighed in at around 20#s each... GOOD TIMES!

J

Nice! This wasn't that bad doing. I did 350 pounds for a wedding last year (obviously not on this smoker). It was a real pain in the ass. I love cooking for people though.

Did you do anything to the meat, or just make a log and smoke it? If so, I've never done that, but it's a great idea!

Nope, just carefully removed the wrapper and smoked. Can slice and reheat for breakfasts etc. The outer layer has some good taste. Think I'll probably do about 20-40 next time, vacuum seal and freeze and have breakfast meat for a long time.

Nice

Just bought my first rotisserie for the gasser today (end of season clearance). There is a 5 lb bird soaking in brine, should be another fun option to grill with.

Split...love my roti! I've become a convert of the late Judy Rogers method of poultry, namely chicken, preparation of, after cleaning the bird inside and out, meticulously drying the bird inside and out, followed by fresh herbs place under the skin of each breast & thigh and then generously salt and peppered.

Let the prepped bird sit on a rack atop a sheet pan in the refrigerator, uncovered, for up to 2-days. I'll get my roasting vessel (most often my BBQ but indoor oven works too) to 500*F. Bird goes in, stationary or roti (I prefer the roti), for 15-20 minutes. Then back the oven/grill down to 350*F for the remainder of the roast off (about 25-35 minutes/175-180*F at thigh).

I've moved on from brining as the meat, using the dry method above, retains high moisture, the skin gets super crisped and the texture is sublime.

I smoked some ribs and made a blue cheese bacon coleslaw today. I wasn't too happy with my previous rib results, but today turned out the best yet.

I removed the membrane, coated in mustard, salt, pepper, garlic powder, smoked paprika, and cumin. I ran the smoker at about 325° , with lump and hickory chunks for around 4 hours and didn't foil. Some of the thinner areas on the racks got a little crunchy, but in total the ribs were very good. I think I'll foil the last hour next time and remove foil just before saucing.

Baby backs have been my nemesis for years now. Pretty much all I cook now are spare ribs.

Baby backs have been my nemesis for years now. Pretty much all I cook now are spare ribs.

Yeah sorry, I did the St Louis cut spare ribs, never tried baby backs. I need to find a source near me for spare ribs that haven't been trimmed. Everything at costco, walmart, and the other grocery stores near me are St Louis cut and run $3-4 lb.

I found I like the results better cooking them hot. Come to think of it, my cooking tempos for all meats has been creeping north of 225° for a while now. 300° +/- 20° seems like a good temp for pork & beef.

T, I smoke baby backs the same as all my other pork ribs. However, I cook them with the 2-2-1 method. They are fall off the bone tender and still have a great smoke flavor.

2 hours naked, flipping every 30 minutes
2 hours wrapped in foil, flip at the hour mark
1 hour unwrapped as far away from the fire/coals etc... that you can, flip at 30 minutes, and baste with dry rub or sauce and let sit/soak for that last 30 min. (I'm a dry rib man personally)

Pull off and enjoy with a potato salad, sweet bean and a cranberry jicama slaw.

J

T, I smoke baby backs the same as all my other pork ribs. However, I cook them with the 2-2-1 method. They are fall off the bone tender and still have a great smoke flavor.

2 hours naked, flipping every 30 minutes
2 hours wrapped in foil, flip at the hour mark
1 hour unwrapped as far away from the fire/coals etc... that you can, flip at 30 minutes, and baste with dry rub or sauce and let sit/soak for that last 30 min. (I'm a dry rib man personally)

Pull off and enjoy with a potato salad, sweet bean and a cranberry jicama slaw.

J

Just going to say this. ^ I do it without the flipping but it works,

Yeah, I generally have no problem getting them to fall off the bone point. The issue I have is I still can't nail the flavor profile I'm after with them. I have no issue getting the flavor where I want it to be with spare ribs, but for some reason I can't get it where I want with baby backs.

I am also a fan of dry rubs and my wife seems to like my baby backs, but I have had better. I chalk it up to the spare ribs having more meat and fat on them.

And ribs are just too damn $$$$$ to mess around with so much anymore. They're one of the few things I'm happy to order in a (carefully selected bbq) restaurant because it'll be about the same money and the work is already done. And, yes, dry is the way to go, but we're of split opinion on that in this house.

Agreed on the $$$$ issue. Spares are still pretty cheap, but baby backs are ridiculous.

And ribs are just too damn $$$$$ to mess around with so much anymore. They're one of the few things I'm happy to order in a (carefully selected bbq) restaurant because it'll be about the same money and the work is already done. And, yes, dry is the way to go, but we're of split opinion on that in this house.

Very true. It's works out to about $10 a rack, plus supplies, plus running the smoker, plus time, etc. I can make some pretty good ribs, but I can't get close to the ribs at my favorite spot. Brisket & big pork cuts seem to be well worth the time and effort though.

Smoked another pork loin... You guys know what it looks like.

HA! J

OK OK ... a pic..

Smoked pork loin, cinnamon apples and cheesy potatoes.

J

P1000374.JPG

Nothing special, but this weekend on our hunting/camping trip. First time using this campfire grill, pretty pleased with it, but you have to build a pretty big fire to keep it hot. We cooked all our meals on it all weekend. The egg dish had about a dozen eggs, leftover steak, leftover brats, cheese, green onions, and bacon. It was awesome.
camp1.jpg
camp2.jpg
camp3.jpg

Smoked jalapeño cream cheese sausage fatty. I think I need to use mild sausage instead of hot and a little less cream cheese. I can't eat too much at once, but it is really good.

image.jpg

I know I'm not the only one curing a "headache" by putting the heat to the meat today. Whatcha got? @CharlestonG8R @elkaholic I think I can see y'all's smoke signals from here...

Three 8lb :pig: butts at Casa de Vee. 250*F since 830am. The early rise was the hard part.:bang:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom