The Coleman Thread (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I saw two red globe kerosene lanterens at a yard sale last month, They were the short wide base type used for road markers before electric lights were used. Sadely they had been repainted, and not done well. Brushed on enamel.:mad:

Here's mine...

IMG_4250.JPG

Srufpig, that's pretty sweet. Screw down pump is great.

But it doesn't count unless it's burning. So let's see the flame shots...

I saw two red globe kerosene lanterens at a yard sale last month, They were the short wide base type used for road markers before electric lights were used. Sadely they had been repainted, and not done well. Brushed on enamel.:mad:

And...You didn't buy them???

And...You didn't buy them???
No, the guy wanted way to much for them considering what it would have taken to do them justice. I wish I had taken pictures, they may have been used to mark railroad cars or accidents?

There's a big difference between older railroad type kerosene lanterns and coleman lanterns. Got a better description? The small red Coleman lanterns came out in the 50's long after electricty.

There's a big difference between older railroad type kerosene lanterns and coleman lanterns. Got a better description? The small red Coleman lanterns came out in the 50's long after electricty.
Sorry, that was a bit of off topic content, they were definately not Coleman. I don't think they were Dietz either. No images even close on the interwebs. Kind of wishing I had bought one now.:crybaby:

Srufpig, that's pretty sweet. Screw down pump is great.

But it doesn't count unless it's burning. So let's see the flame shots...

FINE.

:flipoff2:
Colposer1.JPG

Very well used in the 20+ years since I bought it at a flea market...

Love my 4M stove. Run gasoline in it! (Not as hot as white gas, but cheaper by the litre!)

(That's my 14 year-old son wolfing down a huge plate of spaghetti after a long day of mountain biking near Merritt, B.C.)

20140920_195701.jpg

New additions to the stable...

I picked up these pint-sized 222's for my chirrens. The fount is tiny, they are loud as hell, but they are surprisingly bright for their size.

image.jpg

Here's one is next to a 236, which has been dimmed down considerably. The mantle on the green one made the journey from Canada mostly intact.

image.jpg

Here's another size comparison...

image.jpg

The 236 is a beauty! Looks familiar :p

I have not bought a new lantern in a while but here's one with a Land Cruiser related story.

Spressomon and I were headed in the direction of Death Valley and had crossed the Sweetwater range of mountains 12,000 feet high. Cool and surreal up there with a 40 mph wind trying to blow us off the top of the mountain. Anyway we descended from there into Nevada and then headed back to Bridgeport, California to meet up with another friend in his 80. In Bridgeport is this cool old sporting goods store called Ken's that mostly sells fishing gear to the fishermen who come to fish the Bridgeport Lake, and the fly fishermen who fish the Eastern Sierra streams. I've been in there a dozen other times.

In the back of the store is a little camping gear section so I strolled back to see if they had anything I wanted. On the bottom shelf is this:

DV2014146_zps2f1b3ae9.jpg

Dang. Never noticed that before. Inside was this:

DV2014148_zps874c8510.jpg

Brand new and still will all the original packed goodies inside the (now rare) globe.

DV2014150_zpse6e4f83c.jpg

So this is a fairly common lantern (290) with a twist. For one or two years, the 290 was called "The Powerhouse". A year after this when the 295 dual fuel came out, that became "The Powerhouse" and still is I think.

[
DV2014156_zps06944069.jpg

DV2014159_zps7cbce204.jpg

Back to the story. The lantern was tagged $69 which was way over my usual Coleman $20 limit. I took it up to the counter anyway. The owner (maybe it was namesake Ken), said the lantern had been there on that shelf since 1986. "No one wants Coleman gas lantern's anymore." He has some other Coleman stuff in the back and comes out with about 8 generators for various Lanterns and stoves, including a spare for this 290, a couple of 220s, a 200A, 2 502 generators and a stove generator he isn't sure about (It was for a 413H which is an odd duck). I could have the Lantern, case and spare 290 generator for $40, and the handful of misc generators for $10. Since I thought it was cool, I took the deal. It isn't a rare, unusual, or particularly old lantern, but it's brand new and almost 30 years old.

And, for anyone interested, it's from 3/86.

Look what Mr. Postman showed up with a couple weeks ago.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1418177914.102326.jpg

Thanks Cam!!! It looks great..

Before pic..
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1418178136.996544.jpg

Look what Mr. Postman showed up with a couple weeks ago.
View attachment 1003628
Thanks Cam!!! It looks great..

That looks awesome on the red 40! :cheers:

Once I get the 237 working, I'll show it off.

Rance traded a 237 (the Kerosene version of the 236) for a mani/pedi on his stove.

I have not bought a new lantern in a while but here's one with a Land Cruiser related story.

Spressomon and I were headed in the direction of Death Valley and had crossed the Sweetwater range of mountains 12,000 feet high. Cool and surreal up there with a 40 mph wind trying to blow us off the top of the mountain. Anyway we descended from there into Nevada and then headed back to Bridgeport, California to meet up with another friend in his 80. In Bridgeport is this cool old sporting goods store called Ken's that mostly sells fishing gear to the fishermen who come to fish the Bridgeport Lake, and the fly fishermen who fish the Eastern Sierra streams. I've been in there a dozen other times.

In the back of the store is a little camping gear section so I strolled back to see if they had anything I wanted. On the bottom shelf is this:

DV2014146_zps2f1b3ae9.jpg

Dang. Never noticed that before. Inside was this:

DV2014148_zps874c8510.jpg

Brand new and still will all the original packed goodies inside the (now rare) globe.

DV2014150_zpse6e4f83c.jpg

So this is a fairly common lantern (290) with a twist. For one or two years, the 290 was called "The Powerhouse". A year after this when the 295 dual fuel came out, that became "The Powerhouse" and still is I think.

[
DV2014156_zps06944069.jpg

DV2014159_zps7cbce204.jpg

Back to the story. The lantern was tagged $69 which was way over my usual Coleman $20 limit. I took it up to the counter anyway. The owner (maybe it was namesake Ken), said the lantern had been there on that shelf since 1986. "No one wants Coleman gas lantern's anymore." He has some other Coleman stuff in the back and comes out with about 8 generators for various Lanterns and stoves, including a spare for this 290, a couple of 220s, a 200A, 2 502 generators and a stove generator he isn't sure about (It was for a 413H which is an odd duck). I could have the Lantern, case and spare 290 generator for $40, and the handful of misc generators for $10. Since I thought it was cool, I took the deal. It isn't a rare, unusual, or particularly old lantern, but it's brand new and almost 30 years old.

And, for anyone interested, it's from 3/86.

Nice haul! Are you going to fire it or keep it preserved?

Man, I love the Bridgeport area. Beautiful.

image.jpg

image.jpg

We had some Coleman action of our own there. We stopped in Bridgeport to wash off a week's worth of Rubicon dust, and cooked on the tailgate outside of our motel room. If I remember right, there was a supermoon out that night.

(please ignore the propane. I've since learned the error of my ways)

image.jpg

Dude - You got the wrong fuel AND the wrong pan. LOL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom