The box build up (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I ran into a similar issue. They guys at the desk told me I had the incorrect VIN number for my vehicle. I double checked and confirmed that I was giving them the correct VIN number, and I could see their minds working to find the best bureaucratic angles to exploit any sign of weakness on my part and place the blame squarely on another opportunistic 'fact'...a 'fact' of course that would also conveniently be outside their realm of control, therefor responsibility.

So, I played the hand dealt me and gave them the poker face and used the "I don't know. All I know is that there was a gas tank recall and a seat belt recall and this is the correct VIN" as a fall back point to keep the ball in their court.

Seeing that I was not going to help him out of the situation by giving him an opening, the man behind the desk did the only thing left for him to do. He called over his manager.

Same process with the manager, except that he invoked an additional level of authority (granted to him not, as you would hope, from some magical competence, but rather from an additional level of authority above him...an absent yet ever present authority).

While this manager was considering if he was going to have to pull out the nuclear option (his implied threats didn't seem to be working on me...maybe I was really that dumb...) and just flat out deny me with no reason given (...a true moral dilemma...), an unaware service tech strolled over to hand over a piece of paper to the folks who trade in paper and was immediately granted their full attention and expectation.

Being a tech, he attentively listened to the 'facts' being delivered to him and probably understood the implied meaning behind their narrative, but strangely didn't seem to mind. No cowering, 'searching' of papers, shifting of posture...a true glimmer of hope. Could this be the hero I need? An unlikely hero who seems completely out of place in this land ruled by papers, political logic and bizarre use of the spoken and written language?

Well, since this is an 'American' story (one that always has a happy ending), the answer is yes. He asked them if they had already tried looking up the VIN on the Service computer system. They replied 'No.' So he took a post-it note (not being of their world, I guess he didn't understand the value of paper as they did), wrote down the VIN I gave them, disappeared through a port-hole to another world, came back and informed me that 'Yes, both the tank and seat belt recall services had been performed on this vehicle,' handing me a single sheet of paper with all the necessary information to confirm what he said was true.

In conclusion, while there is no moral to this story, there is apparently another computer system that holds all the service records for these recalls performed.
Have fun, enjoy the show if they begin to give you one, but in the end, you have the strategic high ground, since by federal law, Toyota is required to perform the recall services (but, as articulated in the manuscript above, no need to go that far...go easy on 'em...they'll figure it out).

This is all great to know. I tried getting me a new fuel tank as well and my local dealership said my vin turned up nothing, as if it were never even made. Only conclusion the guys behind the desk could give me is that it was probably an import from Mexico or Canada.
Import for Mexico, sure, possible since I live right on the border. But everything in the vehicle is in English.

Ill have to check with them again next time I get the chance.

This is all great to know. I tried getting me a new fuel tank as well and my local dealership said my vin turned up nothing, as if it were never even made. Only conclusion the guys behind the desk could give me is that it was probably an import from Mexico or Canada.
Import for Mexico, sure, possible since I live right on the border. But everything in the vehicle is in English.

That's happened with both the box and the green bastard. Call corporate. They can run the vin and it actually shows up. Then they'll talk to the dealer you have spoke to and proceed with the recall

That's happened with both the box and the green bastard. Call corporate. They can run the vin and it actually shows up. Then they'll talk to the dealer you have spoke to and proceed with the recall
Yep, service desk apparently has a different computer system to check...

...or you could send a PM to Onur ( @beno here on MUD) with your VIN number and he can tell you if the recall has been done or not...he works for Toyota in Atlanta GA...

Ill be doing that for sure.
Now heres my other question...does the vehicle have to be running for Toyota to work on it?
Sounds dumb I know, but my 60 has been parked in our shop/barn corner for over 5 years.
I was off at school and it wasnt driven as regularly as I would have liked it. I drove it whenever I was home for holidays and whatnot but my last attempt to drive it had an issue.
While cruising down to the old stomping grounds it began to sputter, missfire, and run rough. Figure maybe the fuel filter is clogged since it hadnt been changed in a few year. I swapped in an fresh one I had in the glove box and upon removing the old one I discovered the fuel inside was a nice bright shade of orange. Tank rust. Wonderful. The new filter helped, a little, but after a couple hours of bumming around it began to run rough again. I barely made it home. It got parked back in the corner and hasnt been touched since.

Its at least been out of the elements.

I plan(more like dream) of having it road worthy within the next year if I decide to move back to South Texas. I wanna finally do all the things I wanted to do to it 11 years ago.

So, lets say I submit my vin to corporate and they A-ok everything for the recall, will they still do the work if I bring it in on the trailer? Or am I going to have to flush the tank and lines and get it at least running and limp it to them to do the work?

Ill be doing that for sure.
Now heres my other question...does the vehicle have to be running for Toyota to work on it?
Sounds dumb I know, but my 60 has been parked in our shop/barn corner for over 5 years.
I was off at school and it wasnt driven as regularly as I would have liked it. I drove it whenever I was home for holidays and whatnot but my last attempt to drive it had an issue.
While cruising down to the old stomping grounds it began to sputter, missfire, and run rough. Figure maybe the fuel filter is clogged since it hadnt been changed in a few year. I swapped in an fresh one I had in the glove box and upon removing the old one I discovered the fuel inside was a nice bright shade of orange. Tank rust. Wonderful. The new filter helped, a little, but after a couple hours of bumming around it began to run rough again. I barely made it home. It got parked back in the corner and hasnt been touched since.

Its at least been out of the elements.

I plan(more like dream) of having it road worthy within the next year if I decide to move back to South Texas. I wanna finally do all the things I wanted to do to it 11 years ago.

So, lets say I submit my vin to corporate and they A-ok everything for the recall, will they still do the work if I bring it in on the trailer? Or am I going to have to flush the tank and lines and get it at least running and limp it to them to do the work?
Haha they didn't like it but I brought mine to them not running. They'll let you know what'll take to make it run and ask if you want them to service it.

Oh ok, cool.
good to know.
Theyre gonna give me a groceries list worth of problems.
lol

Whats the issue with the seatbelt recall? Anyone happen to know why they called them back?
I always remember mine working fine.

I didn't dig into it. Seatbelts seem to work fine on both the box and green bastard. I'm coming from a similar situation to yours with the box. Sat at the old ladies parents place for 4 years haha

It's been a good while since I've posted anything

Merry Christmas first off
And
The box lives
I wish I could post the video but it's idling and can somewhat drive

Everything is going at a slow rate but is now starting to pick up.
Should be performing a desmog over the next month and some change, and replacing the brake master cyl.
if yall know anyone that needs a working airpump..

Progress is rolling, re rebuilt the carb yet again, runs 2x better. just needs timing redone as its way off and a valve adjustment to be just right engine wise. i'll post up photos this weekend.

new cap and rotor, re timed, runs like a dream. if the weather agrees with me tomorrow, valve tap will go away.
hopefully will be registered monday.

Valve tap is gone, runs great. Time for more coolant in the radiator, fix the brake cyl, and get it registered.

Went to start last night after the Super Bowl and acted like no fuel. Left it and came back today, same issue. Fuel is getting to the carb, no leaking from the pump but none is entering the float bowl. Poured some fuel manually into the bowl and she lived yet again but dies when the fuel is gone. Fuel idle cut solenoid is still clicking on and off so I'm ruling that out. Any other place to look?

Working on the carb today after work, should run again!

And just ordered a trollhole carb too so I'm going to start desmog process when that gets here

I truly know nothing about carbs. But on my old dirt bike the float was sticky and wouldn't drop. Which prevented fuel to the engine.
I've never owned a car with a carb, could the same principle apply?

Update.
Fuel sending unit works backwards.
has a radio that i still need to find a constant power source to keep the memory, currently hooked up off accessory.
Tagged and road legal.
driving it since friday all around colorado springs.

waiting for @Trollhole 's carb to come in the mail sometime next month, but the factory is still kicking and working [for now]
has the occasional float stick, but nothing a 17mm wrench, carb cleaner, and plyers dont fix.

still needs a proper exhaust and brake master cylinder at a minimum, but i'll still drive without worry.

Does anyone know where i can find a interior wiring diagram? i thought i had the body electrical book but that disappeared. need to fix a few interior lights and supply constant to my radio

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom