The blue whale brings home a pig! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well, I made the 2 hour drive no problem, parked when I got there, and then saw this. s***. View attachment 3464896
Cleaned off what I could and it looked like the timing gear cover was leaking and blowing back all over. It was still on the dipstick, so I added about a quart and made it home. I stopped every 20 minutes or so and it barely leaked. Last night I was able to clean everything well and take it for a ride. It looks like the bottom two bolts are leaking. View attachment 3464899

Looking through the paperwork, the PO had the cover replaced a few years back. Searching mud, it looks like it can be a pita job. Apparently the bottom two bolts need RTV on them. Anyone think I can pull the bottom bolts, RTV them, and reinstall? I’m thinking it’s worth a shot before I tear into it.

By the way, the pig made the local news. Luckily you couldn’t see the oil spots underneath 😂😂😂Loves Park auto dealer hosts community event for Toyota, Lexus enthusiasts - https://www.wifr.com/2023/10/22/loves-park-auto-dealer-hosts-community-event-toyota-lexus-enthusiasts/
I would say you have nothing to lose!
I had to pull the whole front plate b/c the shop that rebuilt my 2F bottomed out the oil squirter. I have a thread on it somewhere in the 40/55 section.
You do have to get the bolts in correctly, it is a specific process...

A woman at a stoplight the other day yelled “I love your Bronco!” I felt hurt and violated and I’m still recovering from that one.
Was she good looking enough to get away with it?
One time I pulled up next to a Boobican (in the 40) and the woman riding shotgun looked over and said, "I like your Land Cruiser."
I was impressed, on a few different levels...

Last edited:
My pig came with SOR seat covers that looked OK. Nothing special. The reason I had them redone though was to have new foam put in and to fix the 6 springs that were broken. I found a guy who does auto upholstery out of his garage so no overhead. He did a great job fixing the springs but the new foam well that was what really mattered for comfort. For the pattern and colors I told him I wanted something that looked classic but with a slight flair. Way better than the SOR covers and I only paid $1800 for both front and rear bench seats for the whole thing.

Well, it seems that resealing the bottom two bolts with the Toyota seal packing applied took care of it. I’ve dailied it every day for the last week or so and no leaks. We took a little excursion yesterday. It’s easy to forget how beautiful some things are when they’re practically in your back yard. Obligatory pictures attached.
IMG_5793.jpeg
IMG_5806.jpeg
IMG_5770.jpeg
7EB6D6AF-330E-44C4-9759-BF6310E78EE7.jpeg

Well, it seems that resealing the bottom two bolts with the Toyota seal packing applied took care of it. I’ve dailied it every day for the last week or so and no leaks. We took a little excursion yesterday. It’s easy to forget how beautiful some things are when they’re practically in your back yard. Obligatory pictures attached. View attachment 3490787View attachment 3490788View attachment 3490789View attachment 3490790
Looks good…keep posting…I miss seeing it in my garage at times

So my timing gear cover oil leak is back. I’ve assembled everything I think I need to remove and reseal the cover. I was thinking that the harmonic balancer nut was going to be a PITA to get off, but I was able to spin it free by hand 🥴

Is there supposed to be a locking washer of some kind behind the nut? I seem to remember seeing something in a thread somewhere but can’t find it. My 2F manual doesn’t show one.

IMG_7392.jpeg

image.jpg

It's not easy being green. (With envy). I lost an identical '79 g/w 55 to road salt as the body was completely destroyed when my wife insisted on a yearly cross country ski trip to Manning Park in British Columbia. It started bubbling under the paint after the first trip, by the fourth it was an ugly mess. Speaking of ugly messes, there wasn't a fifth trip as the divorce went final in the Fall. I love your 55, and being a '79 makes it about a one in a million find in that condition. Did I mention you are the Charlie Daniels of the rattle can?

Last edited:
Well, I think I found the source of my oil leak 😂😂😂. The HB shaft is chewed, there’s a pic of what’s left of the key, and the oil seal is torn. I think the key way on the crank snout is ok enough. I know the PO had a “Land Cruiser shop” in Idaho do a bunch of work in 2018 including pulling the engine and resealing everything. Then he had a local shop replace the timing cover gasket in 2019. I have one of the crank nut lock plates on order since it didn’t have one. Will a 3fe HB work or should I research speedi sleeves?

IMG_7405.jpeg

IMG_7406.jpeg

IMG_7408.jpeg

IMG_7407.jpeg

IMG_7410.jpeg

I would source a new Hamonic balancer, but not sure about the 3fe. Can't you get one for that motor?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom