Stock FJ40 Wheel & Headrest Questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey, folks. Could someone please tell me what style of wheels came stock on 1974 FJ40's? Both with clips for hupcaps and simple wagon wheels? And in what colors? Any help appreciated. Does the wheel below look like a stock 1974 wheel (although painted ... shudder)

And ... was this headrest a stock option? Weirdly it seems to match ... but I suspect not.

Thanks for any info!

IMG_00002138.jpg

IMG_00002148.jpg

The headrest looks different than I've seen on any 74ish Fj40. Never seen them that shape before.

your rims should be hubcapclip 15" gray steelie rims (welded was stock for 74' model)

Rim info...

Rim Colors for USA market
E-60 body color
61-67 black rims
68-72/73 gray rims
72/73-7/80 gray outside only
8/80-84 white wagon wheels

Last edited:
I will see if I can find pictures of my 73 headrests. I believe they look like that. 73 used a different headrest than later. Not sure when the style changed, could have been a mid year change. My guess is they are stock. Don't believe anyone has ever found headrests from another vehicle that will fit the 73-78 FJ40 bucket seats.

Only picture I can find right now. Not even sure my 73 headrests are in the picture. This was taken over a year and half ago. Since then I have found all my headrest that are currently in a vehicle and put them together. But place there are is out of town.

IMG_1272.JPG

FWIW, those are the later original Toyota wagon wheels. I like them on an earlier rig.

Wheels look to be painted steelie wagons

Looks like the wheels used on the FJ40 starting with those from 8/80 (81 model) and later painted. Not sure what a wagon wheel is. Seems it was common for dealer to put a white spoke wheel on the FJ55s but these were not stock. 60 series had these wheel but were chrome. The center can fit either as well as the solid steel wheels used on pickups.

The headrests from 72-78 were all the same in design.Toyota switched them when they redesigned the seats in 79 with a wider post.Not exactly sure what those are but not from a 40.I have run into several different styles of headrest from other vehicles on 40s before that fit.Looks like someone got creative!

The steel wheels with the clips were factory yet a lot of dealers switched them out with the common white wagon wheels as an up grade.The wheel you have is of a later 40 or 60 that is OEM based on the design although it would have been either white or chrome.

The headrests from 72-78 were all the same in design.Toyota switched them when they redesigned the seats in 79 with a wider post.Not exactly sure what those are but not from a 40.I have run into several different styles of headrest from other vehicles on 40s before that fit.Looks like someone got creative!

The steel wheels with the clips were factory yet a lot of dealers switched them out with the common white wagon wheels as an up grade.The wheel you have is of a later 40 or 60 that is OEM based on the design although it would have been either white or chrome.

Thanks, but you're incorrect about the headrest. I posted a photo of the same headrest from a 40 that I had.

Totally understand you questioning me.My belief is still that they were switched out at one point.The headrest design appears to be from a Toyota pickup which would have had the same color.Toyota could however have made a few different designs of headrests based on where the vehicle originated and although I stand by what I believe........ I may just be wrong?

Hey, folks. Could someone please tell me what style of wheels came stock on 1974 FJ40's? Both with clips for hupcaps and simple wagon wheels? And in what colors? Any help appreciated. Does the wheel below look like a stock 1974 wheel (although painted ... shudder)

And ... was this headrest a stock option? Weirdly it seems to match ... but I suspect not.

Thanks for any info!

Those were not stock on a 74 40, but someone else mentioned that.

But those wheels did come stock on 1st generation 4Runners. I had a black 85 with gold graphics and gold "wagon" wheels like that.

Totally understand you questioning me.My belief is still that they were switched out at one point.The headrest design appears to be from a Toyota pickup which would have had the same color.Toyota could however have made a few different designs of headrests based on where the vehicle originated and although I stand by what I believe........ I may just be wrong?

I've bought 5 and sold 4 sets of headrests. Every 40 up here I've ever seen still had headrests on it. Even at the cruiser wreckers (back in 1992), I've never seen a set that looked like that. Doesn't mean they weren't sold somewhere on a 40... But it's more likely they're from something else.

Anyone have literature showing ones like that?

You may be right, it might just be a coincidence. Your pickup truck theory makes sense.

The headrests from 72-78

Toyota did not have a option of headrest on the 72 model in the US market. Later in 72 when the 73 model started with buckets seat headrest were a option here. While on 72 model headrest were not a option on the 40/60 bench seat I believe they were in the JDM. Someone back east imported a RHD from Japan a number of year ago it had the headrests with bench seats. It may have been a year or two older than 72. A few myself included have bench seats with the headrest posts hidden under the seat covers. Mine were out of a 71 with the two section back passenger's seat that had a emission tank. While SOR only show those in 72 models just as many if not more had them in 71. FYI I checked and the headrest post spacing is different in the 71 seats than the 73-78.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom