Source for 4 Core Rad? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm looking to try to find a good source for an upgraded radiator for my '85 RHD HJ60. I still have to flush mine but I'd like to find a replacement source if needed. Everything I have found so far is from Oz (Ebay) and the vendors I have found do not ship to the US. Can someone recommend a source? I would prefer to stay away from the cheaper aluminum rads as I have heard they will not hold up as well. Thoughts? Oh yeah, I am running a 2H!

Im not 100% on this but several years ago I recored a HJ61 and if I recall the shop ordered a core for the FJ62 of the same year both being 1988 on the recore they reuse the top and bottom tanks so far it is running cool and no leaks.
I don't think there is a difference in the rad for the 60 series gas or diesel not like the 40s they have hoses on opposite sides from gas and diesel

Hose outlets can be moved. A core can be replaced.

Go find an actual radiator shop. They will be able to recore your radiator if it needs it.

I've had the HJ61 radiator rebuilt, an FJ60 radiator altered to work with a 1HZ, an FJ40 modified to work with a PS 3B, and moved outlets around on an LN130 radiator to allow the hoses to clear the power steering gearbox.

Not hard at all for a actual radiator shop.

Dan

Thanks for tbe replies. I'll contact my local Rad shop and get a price to put in a new 4 row. I think I'll also just price out a new OE Rad from @beno? #16400-68160 and a new rad cap ☺

G'day

A proper radiator shop with capacity to recore and fabricate is your best bet - too many are just selling cheap, poorly soldered imports here and I can't imagine it'd be much different in the 'states.

Aluminium is not as good as copper in a 'cruiser, not as durable and hence not as long lasting, also, it's almost impossible to get one repaired. There are long involved discussions on this elsewhere.

Ironbark

Have you tried ChampionRadiators.com ? I got one for my 40 from them and it is awesome ... even when towing in 46 degC ...

Have you tried ChampionRadiators.com ? I got one for my 40 from them and it is awesome ... even when towing in 46 degC ...

I do not believe they have the proper inlet/outlet (2H engine they need to be on the same side opposite the fill tube).

FWIW I put an Adrad radiator into a friend's HJ60 last year. I checked it over carefully before we installed it and was impressed with the build quality. Some of the imported radiators are made from paper thin materials and the soldering is sub standard - this radiator didn't suffer from any of those deficiencies - we were told it was Australian made.

Normally I'd suggest a recore over a replacement, however, the top tank on his radiator had a pin hole leak and a couple of seepage spots so we decided the top tank was probably toast and opted for the new unit.

Ironbark

I have been very happy with my 3 core ADRAD in the HDJ80 and yes, they're made in Adelaide, South Australia.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom