FJ40 Radiator on BJ42 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have had some radiator issues last few years. The original Radiator was rotten through and couldn't find a shop that would re-core it in my neck of the woods. I purchased an aluminum one on e-bay and it lasted about 2 years and failed at the top seams. I learned the hard way (or probably not) to not buy cheap stuff and purchased a new one from Toyota parts direct. I made a mistake on the part number and received an FJ40 radiator with the lower pipe on the wrong side.
Turns out only one hole is needed to be drilled out to mount it, add a short 1-1/2 inch pipe with a 90° bend and a silicone elbow and problem solved. The radiator drops in same as the original and the hole for the drain cock already exists in the support frame. There is plenty of space for the extra pipe. A hose clamp, although not pretty, attaches the pipe to the shroud where the original steel pipe used to go.
Apparently radiators with the lower pipe on the left side seem to be impossible to find but the right hand ones everywhere.

IMG_8405.jpeg

IMG_8406.jpeg

IMG_8407.jpeg

IMG_8408.jpeg

IMG_8409.jpeg

Only 5 pictures in one post. Here is what it looks like underneath

IMG_8411.jpeg

IMG_8412.jpeg

IMG_8413.jpeg

Yep. My BJ60 radiator corroded after a good 40 years of use.

I used a FJ60 rad and It’s a pain because the bottom rad tube is on the wrong side, but I used the FJ62 Factory radiator hose elbow with a new rad hose I found at my local parts store. Couple of gear clamps and it works like a champ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom